General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem need diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM
07fxdb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem need diagnosis

Need help, some urgency - Posted in Tech section, hoping for broader audience.

Here's the problem:

Riding an 07 Dyna with 40,000 miles, and am having intermittent problem: everything works fine, when engine just shuts down. After a minute or so, starts up again and works fine, for a few minutes, a few days, or a few weeks. Them problem shows up again. Have tried tightening ground cable on battery, checking plug wires, checking ignition switch, makes no difference. Two different dealers have spent about 8 hours each trying to diagnose problem, looking at wiring harness under tank, in frame, but haven't come up with anything. They tell me that all codes from electronic code reader come up. Acts like a faulty ground, but ground cable on battery is new, as it was replaced after breakage a couple of years ago. Tach and different headlight installed by dealer a few years ago, all wiring is secure, and connections checked. Bike has security system. Common problem is with security module corrosion, but mine is fine.

Any ideas? Am leaving for a couple weeks' ride in May, and need to find and fix problem before then.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM
mechmagcn
Advanced

Not too familiar with newer bikes, so a few questions? When the engine shuts down, does the entire electrical system go dead (lights and all)? Does the bike have automatic reset circuit breakers? A weak breaker will sometimes trip out under a light load and then reset. When it dies, try to feel the circuit breaker to see if it is hot.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked on a Dyna with a similiar problem. Ended up being the temperature sensor.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

A bad bank angle sensor will also cause the bike to shut down. Once you turn the ignition off and back on, it resets and the bike will start. However, it will shut down again periodically. This was the problem I had a couple of years ago.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with checking the ignition switch... poor design and weather can affect the switch. Make sure all connectors are secure and have dylectic grease on them...

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

i've heard a lot of people with similar problems on their bobs, i am one of them. my bike would die out as i was coming to an idle. you can find a few posts of mine about this issue by searching. also took it in to HD and they didnt find anything wrong, said maybe my battery cables wiggled loose... i didnt buy into it. but i've not had a problem since.

i had to ride home three hours from chillicothe easy rider not letting my bike idle down all the way as it was wanting to die out. does yours do the same as your idling or coming to an idle? there is an idle air sensor in the top of the intake (behind filter) and before the butterfly plate, its top to top left side. i squirt some throttle body cleaner in it from time to time to clean out the blow by from the breather tubes. TB cleaner is safe on sensors, not all carb cleaner is. you can only do this with the bike off, will instantly kill bike if you spray it when running. you can watch this little sensor move when starting and idling bike...

may or may not help, good luck!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
95custmz
Road Master

+1 on sensors. A faulty temp. sensor or crank postion sensor will cause the symptoms you are describing.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
07fxdb
Tourer

thanks all. I will speak to my dealer mechanic tomorrow to ensure that the sensors were checked. Bike falters and dies, not just at idle, would do it at highway speed, or in the city.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start up your sled. As it sits there idling, start pulling on the wiring harnesses starting at the stator wires coming out from the front of the primary. Pull, push & wiggle every section of harness you can get your hand near & try to make the bike stall out.
Hatch.
does your bike have just fuses or are there circuit breakers???