General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporter/Dyna/Softail/Tourer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sporter/Dyna/Softail/Tourer question

I usually try to do back ground investigation before I asked and I also search the HD corporate site to see if it will answer my question.

I was wondering if each model I had mention in my subject line has a "FIT" or Purpose in the way it was classified and need of use.

Touring - This is a no-Brainer. People usually buy this classification for long distance traveling. Usually has amenities for comfort for long distance cross country traveling.

Softail - My guess that this is an around town Boulevard traveler. Some long distance but usually fits the category for a commuter bike and has the Old classic lok of a MC.

Dyna- I have no clue where this fits into a category, maybe a chopper style or chopper-cruiser style.

Sportster- My only guess is that it is made more for the beginner rider or for those that have limited funds and want to enter the HD market.

Vrod- HD version of a sports bike.

The reason I am asking this is to see what next bike I should get for myself. I am coming to the realization that the wife is too much of a fair-weather rider that really dislikes going any more than a couple hundred or a 1 day ride out as a destination.

So I was thinking of ruling out touring bikes since 99% of my riding is too and from work, and short jaunts to different bike nights.

I looked at the HD website under SoftTail and visually like these 3 bikes in the order listed.

Softail Deluxe
Fatboy
Heritage classic

I am going to AZ Bike week for a couple of days and do The HD-Demo rides to try these out. Is it just ascetics that separate these bikes apart ?

Also, don't forget to explain the HD classification and if HD really breaks these bike into classification of purpose.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 AM
mikey120
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 08 nightster and I truly did by it because its what could afford. I also like the styling. I ride it to work everyday and also ride it on the super slab every chance I get. It may not be the most comfortable bike on the planet but I lnow for a fact it will pace my dads 04 dyna to about 110 and I can take him from a dead stop, beginner bike I think not. I ride my sport with pride and people have different tastes. If I had a need for a bike that was comfortable for a long distance trip like the hoka hey challenge I definitely would have a dresser. You can't classify bike by beginner and so on it is all about taste. I also like the street bob but cannot stand the super glide but in all reality they are basically the same bike. Just my opinion
mike

Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 AM
ki4top
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ey.html#/intro

they do categorize them...walk yourself through the above tool they created. it will essentially ask you questions and guide you through your preference.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ki4top

they do categorize them...walk yourself through the above tool they created. it will essentially ask you questions and guide you through your preference.
LOL! I just clicked your link and went through the steps..... Looks like I picked out the right bike for me.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM
99superglide
Tourer

The three bikes you mention are basically all the same bike with different trim levels. The Heritage is a good choice for all round bike for commuting or cross country. It comes stock with bags and windshield which eat up the better part of $1000 which you should consider when pricing.
IMO the Dyna is sort of universal which can be stripped down into a hot rod or decked out for touring and depending on your size and or budget holds true for the Sportster as well. They make some kick azz looking Sporties nowadays.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saying, but if you are considering a Heritage, cost wise there isn't much of a jump to a Roadking, which means hard bags, touring frame, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Just saying, but if you are considering a Heritage, cost wise there isn't much of a jump to a Roadking, which means hard bags, touring frame, etc.
RK's are nice but seat height is 2 inches higher than Heritage. Many feel as though with a RK they are riding "on top" rather than "in" the bike. That is the main reason why I chose my Heritage over the RK.
I did think the RK handled better at slow speed though.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Get a Fatbob, you'll be happy.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ki4top

I'd have to say this is pretty accurate. I choose the right bike for myself as well. That's two it worked on...lol!!

To the OP, IMO the Dyna is the cruiser hot rod. Not only for looks, but Performance and fun in the twisties for a big bike. Plus you can also make it a tourer for a fraction of the cost and it's comfortable.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser

I just went from a Dyna Super Glide to a Road King and couldn't be happier. Don't let the word 'touring' scare you away from a Road King or a Street Glide for commuting. They're just fine in town and cruise control is worth it's weight in gold!

Quick Reply: Sporter/Dyna/Softail/Tourer question