General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporter/Dyna/Softail/Tourer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 99superglide
The three bikes you mention are basically all the same bike with different trim levels.

If you like Softtails, they are great bikes and will accomodate your wife on the few days she may go with you.
The Dyna, Softtails, and Tourings all have the same engines. Sportsters and Vrods have different types. But bikes within a family, are all basically the same with different fit and trim items fitted to them.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 AM
mosendero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ki4top
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ey.html#/intro

they do categorize them...walk yourself through the above tool they created. it will essentially ask you questions and guide you through your preference.

Came up correct for me as well.

MO

Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my EG as a commuter. Comfort goes a long way with me.
I use my Tri Glide as a commuter & for long trips. Again, comfort rules.
I use my sportster for local solo runs.

Attached Thumbnails Sporter/Dyna/Softail/Tourer question-bikes.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mi2az
Touring - This is a no-Brainer. People usually buy this classification for long distance traveling. Usually has amenities for comfort for long distance cross country traveling.
Spot on.

Softail - My guess that this is an around town Boulevard traveler. Some long distance but usually fits the category for a commuter bike and has the Old classic lok of a MC.

Dyna- I have no clue where this fits into a category, maybe a chopper style or chopper-cruiser style.
To me these bikes cater to the same general market. As has been said the Dyna seems to be able to be either a hot rod kind of bike or a decent touring bike. The softail is meant to be more of a thorwback to the older Hardtail bikes and has a bit better ride than the Dyna but not quite as agile (overall...)

Sportster- My only guess is that it is made more for the beginner rider or for those that have limited funds and want to enter the HD market.
No. Hell no. The Spotster has a high center of gravity and, with the 1200, is second only to the Vrod in performance (tied with the Street Bob). NOT a beginners bike other than it is the lightest of the Harley line. Not that you can't learn on it, just that's not what it's intended for. It is Harley's entry price point and is meant to be an inexpensive basic bike but it's more than just that. Much more. Take a Sportster on a really twisty mountain road and you'll see why people love the Sportster. Sportsters are really starting to become popular in the bobber scene and the many different ways they can be customized with aftermarket options is suprising. (I think there are more options for my Sportster than my Dyna...)

Vrod- HD version of a sports bike.
Not exactly. It's close though. It's bigger and heavier than most true sport bikes. I know there is a name for the class it falls under (Power cruiser?) but Sports Bike isn't it.

The reason I am asking this is to see what next bike I should get for myself. I am coming to the realization that the wife is too much of a fair-weather rider that really dislikes going any more than a couple hundred or a 1 day ride out as a destination.

So I was thinking of ruling out touring bikes since 99% of my riding is too and from work, and short jaunts to different bike nights.

I looked at the HD website under SoftTail and visually like these 3 bikes in the order listed.

Softail Deluxe
Fatboy
Heritage classic

I am going to AZ Bike week for a couple of days and do The HD-Demo rides to try these out. Is it just ascetics that separate these bikes apart ?

Also, don't forget to explain the HD classification and if HD really breaks these bike into classification of purpose.

Thanks
With what you are looking at a Dyna or Softail seems to be the bike that will suit you best. Something comfortable for your wife on the weekend trips (nod to the softail) and something that is good for a day to day kind of commute (nod to the Dyna).

Originally Posted by ki4top
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ey.html#/intro

they do categorize them...walk yourself through the above tool they created. it will essentially ask you questions and guide you through your preference.
Tried that and it was off. The only one that it offered I would have considered is the Blackline.

Last edited by Robotech; 03-29-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The size of the bikes is also a way to classify them; with touring being the biggest and the sportster being the lightest. A tall person will be much more comfortable on the touring cycle. A shorter rider may find a Dyna more to their liking. Each style can appeal to different riders in different ways.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at your guys suggestions, I was looking at the difference between the Softail Deluxe and RK. Your right, for 300.00 more for the RK, I get the better frame, a 6 gallon tank verses 5 and hard-bags and wind screen and true dual exhaust, Plus some other little items.

The size of the bike is not the issue and $$ there is very little difference between the 2 bikes.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Can't go wrong with the Fatboy, but if you plan on doing some longer rides and/or want some storage, the Road King fits the bill nicely