General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill a motorcyclist and don't even get a ticket???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
az_steve
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Kill a motorcyclist and don't even get a ticket???

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/W...118746429.html

My condolences to Kimmy Chapman and her family. The biker community lost a great friend and champion of biker rights. And wishing the best of luck to Mark Tapper and a speedy recovery.

Words cannot express the anger and disappointment that the person who caused the accident will not be charged with anything. I guess using the "I didn't see them" excuse is the get out of jail free phrase of the day.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Wtf?!?!?!

I'm confused, because the 22yr old male wasn't impaired, it's OK not to look before you turn and wind up KILLING someone?
When I was 22 I got a ticket for not passing in the passing lane!
I can only hope this kid can't live with what he's done and drives his vehicle off a cliff!
Who's with me?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Throwback
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes you realize how fragil life can be. Rest in peace Kimmy.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What really chaps my *** about this is that's careless driving at the very least, which is a ticketable offense. What's worse is two a-holes have taken it upon themselves to turn the comment section of this article into their own personal racial flame war.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the driver is not charged with anything can the family still bring a wrongful death suit against him?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Yeah, but a ticket would definitely have helped their case.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just can't understand for the life of me why at least no "failure to yield" was issued. I can guarantee you he would have got at least that in my area, most likely reckless driving since there was a loss of life.

Last edited by streeteagle; 03-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Man im turely sorry to hear this news, but i have something to say.

Riding a Motorcycle is dangerous, people do not see you, you can die at any time while riding. Im not excusing the cagers, but i am saying that, as a motorcycle rider you have taken a huge risk and you have accepted that risk, its just fact. If you have not accepted that risk, you need to go sit down someplace and put some real Fing thought into it before riding agian.
To be honest, if i died like this, and the driver of the cage was not drunk, doped up and it was not road rage, personally i do not wish the law to further ruin their life, i will be dead and it just wont fix anything. And my family has been told NOT to sue..they know how i feel about freaking law suits, they have ruined this nation.

Last edited by Jeff W; 03-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

How on earth is he not negligent when he failed to yield causing a fatal accident? That is something I just do not understand. Failure to yield by definition is negligence.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

not sure how it works over there , but you would get , causing death by dangerous driving in the u.k if you didn't stop and give way when you should have , or at least careless driving or driving without due care and attention if there were some mitigation , nothing will bring the lady back , but this kinda thing really pisses me off , id have to take the law into my own hands if it was my friend or family that got killed by someones bad driving , two wrongs do not make a right , but i would make sure he could never drive again atleast .

Quick Reply: Kill a motorcyclist and don't even get a ticket???