General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic 3/4 Helmet - Fit & Breakin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic 3/4 Helmet - Fit & Breakin?

I'm condidering a Classic/Retro style DOT approved 3/4 helmet. Factoring looks, price & fit/finish quality, my short list is the Bell 500, Fulmer V2 & Rockhard. Who has worn these helmets and do they fit true to the mfg size chart and do they have a breakin period where they loosen up a little compared to their fit when new?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
frankh
Club Member

I purchased a Fulmer V2 about a month ago. It runs true to size (mine's a medium). It was very comfortable right from the start. I've used it about 12-15 times since purchase, and the fit doesn't seem to have really changed.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just can't imagine trying to find a comfortable fit online; this is too personal an item. I'd shop where you can try 'em on, see what they feel like, if the view is restricted, if the padding hurts your ears...

Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Just can't imagine trying to find a comfortable fit online; this is too personal an item. I'd shop where you can try 'em on, see what they feel like, if the view is restricted, if the padding hurts your ears...
That's what I'm doing, but either online or in the store, still can't get an idea regarding break-in without feedback from helmet owners...

Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
trhayes76
Tourer

I wore my first Fulmer V2 about a year and a half, riding almost everyday. The padding will soften over time. I didn't find the original fit uncomfortable. The new one I've been wearing about 2 weeks seems a bit tighter around the jaw bones than my old one, so I guess there is a slight break-in period.

I am on my second V2 and would highly recommend them. The price is pretty reasonable, too. The last I checked, you can't buy Fulmer helmets online. Find a retailer so you can try them on.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got a V2 that I bought a little over a month ago and have worn it since then. It still fits the same as it did from day one. The padding has broken in a bit but nothing that affects sizing. One thing I noticed is there is a trick to getting it on/off your head depending on the shape of your noggin. Just keep in mind that fitment will vary from brand to brand.

And another note, Fulmer helmets are not sold online anywhere. Go to their site, locate a dealer near you and see if they have one instock for you to try on.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SFTL 1
That's what I'm doing...
Funny, your question: "do they fit true to the mfg size chart" led me to think you were shopping online.

Although you did say you were looking @ 3/4 retro helmets, my present 1 is a 3/4 Moco DOT helmet ($150) w/ a very good flip-up visor and traditional D-ring strap w/ snap.

Bottom line, though, is fit is only everything.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
mike lhc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Rockhard 3/4 helmet. I went with a Medium, all other helmets I tried were Large. What I like is it does not leave me with helmet hair when I take it off.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

If you're curious about the fit (not the look) for the Bell, head down to your local discount helmet store and try on any Bell 3/4. They have the same sizing as the 500.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered my Rockhard 3/4 Black Matte Helmet today, gonna be here Wed. I used a flexible tape measure, and used the sizing chart from Rockhard, I fit a Large exactly. So I ordered a Large. We will see when it comes in Wed. Ive been told to expect it to fit snug then with wear it will loosen up to fit perfectly. So, we will see

Quick Reply: Classic 3/4 Helmet - Fit & Breakin?