General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do they do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
After riding Goldwing for 32 years I even admit that Harleys have a certain mystique, visual appeal, best accessory options, cultural draw that only Harley offers. H-D left out a few qualities that would have made the list complete and that would have also made it the best motorcycle ever. Those qualities are, more dependability, workmanship, better drivability per dollars spent, fair and consistent dealer service, more reasonable warranty period, to mention a few.

what would you consider a 'more reasonable warranty'? the other bikes i've looked at offer a 1 year warranty, with a mileage cap. hd is 2 years unlimited....

as far as reliability, i've not had any problems that i have had to take my 5 hds to the dealer for, with the exception of a stuck speedo reset button.

dealer network? hd seems pretty good to me. even though the closest to me is 50 miles away. and i have heard some horror stories about the metric dealer service department as well....

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Much as folks prefer a chevy over a ford or a toyota over a Honda, it really doesn't matter what someone else rides, all that matters to me is that I ride what I want to.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to enjoy checking out the HD signs and ads more than the metric signs and ads. I even get a kick out of that HD "cage" commercial running on TV lately. Meeting Marisa Miller in person at a dealership wasn't a bad thing either. Of course, seeing some woman get off on a vibrator equipped HD passenger seat at a poker run can be entertaining as well. Perhaps, the HD marketing is just taking its toll.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
bucuo
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
A month (or a year) from now, ask them if they make special trips to the garage for no other reason than to just stand there, staring at their bike.
And I thought I was the only one!

Last edited by bucuo; 03-29-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
A month (or a year) from now, ask them if they make special trips to the garage for no other reason than to just stand there, staring at their bike.
... or come in from a ride, get a beer, and sit there drinkin' while listening to it cool off.

My sig says the rest!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,020 Likes on 6,675 Posts

Ah... the good 'ol "Cheaper-but-just-as-good" justification speech.
Then the Brand X bike gets only a thousand miles on it in a year.
Then they finally figure out what's missing and get an HD. Sell Brand X at a loss after eating the depreciation.

It's right about this point that I remind them that they haven't saved ****.
I'm kind of an *** that way.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Don't care why they do it and niether should you. To each thier own.
As long as they're on 2 wheels, they're very much like the rest of us. Now if they start ragging about how much better, faster....blah....blah....blah their bike is compared to mine, then we could have a problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike-R-Mike
You know , the REAL bottom line here is that we should be glad there are lots of people who think the way they do . If everyone owned a Harley then it wouldn't feel as special to own one as it does now . Actually ALOT of that is already lost . I remember when owning a Harley meant a long wait if you ordered it new and a long search if you where looking for a used one . Now , they pump them out like Honda and Kawasaki does and will finance anyone regardless of income or credit and every want a be dick head is riding around on a brand new one . The mystique that Harley once had is all but gone today and I find that sad . I get the feeling , the connection of owning a Harley and I'll never ride anything else now that I have a Harley though .
Couldn't agree with you more.