General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do they do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMax
Ive got a buddy that loves Redheads, and another that likes Blonde's.
I prefer Brunette's myself, seems I get the most bang for the buck
YMMV
well, i guess, if you're paying for it anyway

Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
If your going for the best bang for the buck the imports are very hard to beat. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are any less of a bike. I would have a hard time passing up that new Kawasaki bagger that was just released.
Which ones are the best bang for the buck and hard to beat?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 948 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
I don't think you really get "it" until you own one. Many of us transitioned over the years from dirt to street muscle bikes to cruisers. It was natural for me to make my first cruiser a Road Star. (it was a great bike btw).......
I bought a Harley because I wanted to "broaden my horizons" and my experiance base; I wanted to try something new. After wards, I still didn't "get it". The bike was slow, handled poorly, had a lousey suspension and had several very idiotic design flaws that should have been dealt with years ago. It was solid and well made for the most part but considering it was the most expensive bike I've ever bought and easily the worst performing in every concievable way (other than gas mileage, it was FANTASTIC in that regard) I sold it. Fortuneately, Harleys great resale meant I didn't lose a dime on that experament. My point is, there not for everyone and a lot of people in here would be far better off to remember that before they go bashing someone elses choice not to ride HD.

Originally Posted by piasspj
I never can understand the Harley guys who always want to compare their bikes to Metrics and all they talk about talk about is price, and intangibles.
I always laughed when guys would tell me how much they paid (many paid thousands over current msrp for used bikes). Always figured I got a good deal buying a $500 Honda and having it compared to a $15000 bike.

Seriously, a new Goldwing costs more than an Ultra (at least when I bought mine), the Kawasaki tourer is a little less. Compare prices of the large metric cruisers to a Sportster or Dyna, not that much difference.
Look at the less expensive metric cruisers and you will notice they are much smaller bikes. Harley doesn't make a comparable bike.
Sport bikes, Harley doesn't make a comparable bike.
Motocross, Harley doesn't make a comparable bike.
Adventure tourer, Harley doesn't make a comparable bike.
I enjoyed every bike I ever owned, including my Harley.
Agreed on the "comperable bike" part. I get attacked all the time on here for wishing that Harely made a performance machine. I hate the fact that my only options for a powerful machine that's smaller than a school bus is a non-American made bike. But that's OK since I'm the one who's "missing out on something" by not riding a HD. Harleys extremely narrow focus has a tendency to alienate people like me from the brand. There are a lot of us out here who do care about power and performance and Harley doesn't make a "comperable bike".

Originally Posted by TNB
When I purchased a '69 Ford Mustang, the Chevy owners tried to give me crap. When I purchased a Corvette, the Mustang owners tried to give me crap until I told them I owned both a Ford and a Chevy (I owned an old CJ5 Jeep with a Chevy engine as well). When I purchased a Nikon camera, the Canon owners tried to give me crap. And when I purchased a small G10 Canon, both the Canon and Nikon owners tried to give me crap until I told them which full-frame Nikon dSLR I own as well. Then there are the Apple owners who have tried to give me crap for using a PC though I also own an iPad, use an iPhone, and have worked on Apple since the original GUI came out.... The list goes on.

If I listened to everyone who gave me crap about my own purchases, then I would have never owned a Ford, a Chevy, a Jeep, a Nikon, a Canon, an Apple, a PC, etc. and wouldn't be able to do what I want to do when I want dispite the fact it wasn't them who made the purchases or the manufacturers who gave me any of the products. Hell, I've had an uncle give me crap for buying a Harley because he thought I should have purchased a small Ford that got better gas mileage. I tried to explain to him that my reason for purchasing a Harley had nothing to do with mileage. He doesn't get it and never will since what he considers most important is just not as important to me. If it had, I would have just traded my 4x4 Ford SUV in on something that got better mileage, then again he would never ride in my Corvette either because he doesn't like Chevy.

I also started out on a Yamaha, but it was a dirt bike. And, yes there were other dirt bike owners in the same vicinity who looked down on Yamaha as well. Harley's just weren't around where I was raised and the one or two HD owners had their bikes in storage for the majority of the year while the few people who actually rode dirt bikes in the snow were still out raising hell. That's also when I got used to owning both a 4x4 and a car--two different tools for different circumstances.

To me, it's about choice and the proper application for the circumstances. After all, why be "brand" loyal if the "brand" doesn't make something to fit an application. After all, no one is forced just to own one brand of bike, automobile, computer, camera, etc. or even one model of the same brand just like nobody forces anyone to date only blondes, brunettes, or red heads.
Exactly, variety is the spice of life. limiting yourself to one brand really takes away from other experiances you could be having.

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
There are a lot of people who confuse junk with quality vehicles. It happens with automobiles, too.
Funny, that's the exact same thing I hear on the sportbike forums when the topic of HD comes up.
To think that "your brand" is the only one that is capable of offering a quality product is short sighted and ignorant.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Sort Of Opposite

Originally Posted by xk207
I think the one that gives the biggest bang for the buck is the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and keeps it there the longest.
I think the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and keeps it there the longest, gives you the biggest bang for the buck.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After riding Goldwing for 32 years I even admit that Harleys have a certain mystique, visual appeal, best accessory options, cultural draw that only Harley offers. H-D left out a few qualities that would have made the list complete and that would have also made it the best motorcycle ever. Those qualities are, more dependability, workmanship, better drivability per dollars spent, fair and consistent dealer service, more reasonable warranty period, to mention a few.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hanes vs Fruit of the Loom... it's all chest thumpin, ego pumpin drama queen spew...oh, and the "mystique" that any normal person supposedly "wouln't understand if...." blah blah blah, is the pink lace on their thongs (icing on da drama cake).

Furgetaboutit...go ride what ya enjoy!
Asshats come in all flavors and "brands".

Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Dad did the same thing, was looking at HD's and went and got a new in 2007 Zuk C90T. Yeah he got a good deal on it and it's a nice big bike, but it's not an HD and does not look like one. HE put Cobra pipes on it and it does not sound bad, but he's like alot of people says it sounds and looks like an HD-Um NO! I just let the metric guys have there cheapos and stick with my HD's

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

I split your entry into two categories: Form VS. Function

FORM:
Originally Posted by shortride
After riding Goldwing for 32 years I even admit that Harleys have a certain mystique, visual appeal, best accessory options, cultural draw that only Harley offers.
VS

FUNCTION:
[/quote]H-D left out a few qualities that would have made the list complete and that would have also made it the best motorcycle ever. Those qualities are, more dependability, workmanship, better drivability per dollars spent, fair and consistent dealer service, more reasonable warranty period, to mention a few.[/quote]

Which does the real passionate biker find most valuable?

Frankly, I found no magical or mystical brotherhood or ego boosting bonuses from owning my HD. Perhaps it's because those things matter little to me? I do enjoy the ride, like i still enjoy rolling on my RoadStar, like I enjoy riding my mountain bike now and then....like, like, like....

I don't care much about what others think...i ride what i want and what i got at the time and that's my ultimate objective. When i hear others speak of "the experience, the brotherhood, the mystique blah blah blah" I can only sit and wonder....wtf guides there lives?

Last edited by Tazzrider; 03-29-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
travelsfardoyle
Cruiser

I tend to agree with the general tenor of this post. It's not what you're ridin', it's that you're ridin' that counts. I have owned Harleys, Suzukis, Kawasakis, all cruisers, and to me, the most comfortable, best ridin' have always been the Harleys. I'm looking at a Triumph for long distance cruisin' right now, not getting rid of my Bones, but do want to get something for long trips and just can't afford the Road Glide Ultra which is what I would get if I could afford it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by travelsfardoyle
I tend to agree with the general tenor of this post. It's not what you're ridin', it's that you're ridin' that counts. I have owned Harleys, Suzukis, Kawasakis, all cruisers, and to me, the most comfortable, best ridin' have always been the Harleys. I'm looking at a Triumph for long distance cruisin' right now, not getting rid of my Bones, but do want to get something for long trips and just can't afford the Road Glide Ultra which is what I would get if I could afford it.
Someone I know who started out on a Kawasaki, went through several Harleys, and more recently traded to Triumph now appears to be the most anti-HD person I know and just went on and on about how much money he spent on HD. Before, he used to brag about spending time at the dealership.

Anyway, after listening to him for a few minutes I mentioned to him about how I know an older local who recently sold his HD to his son (who owned another HD as well) since in his own opinion he has health issues and is now too old, but was also a Suzuki, BMW, and Triump dealer in Illinois. In that case, the second person's preferred brand must have actually been HD and he was a member of the Iron Butt Club. Did it sit well with the more recent Triump owner, not really. However, that was his choice or so he made it appear. I only write that since I know his wife refused to ride on his HD.

Personally, I don't care want he rides but like most I don't want to ride with someone who is always going to bring up "Brand A v. Brand B". Recently, I rode with eight other American Legion Riders and there were two non-HD riders. As far as I know, nobody gave them crap about non-HD and they shouldn't since it's the ALR, not brand choice. I also waive to the sport bike riders as well and have had some waive at me--some seemed surprised at first. Probably, because I've had some HD riders tell me not to waive at the sport bike riders.

Quick Reply: Why do they do this?