General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Brave93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but... (Update Pg3)

I have no experience. I'm a new biker (since last summer) and have an 05 Softail Springer and now want to start doing some upgrades with it.

First I want to put new grips, but I'm a bit intimidated about screwing with the throttle cables. I want to eventually put a heavy breather on it as well.

If I purchased the service manual, would that educate me well enough to begin to do some of these small projects?

With that being said, I see service manuals on ebay for $45 (+$8 shipping). Seems the dealer wants $60 for them. Are there other places to purchase a manual, even used?

Thanks and stay safe.

Last edited by Brave93; 04-02-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Can't remember where on the internet I found it, but I got the Clymer manual for my bike, $45.00 + shipping....

Covers anything I'd be willing to tackle and then a whole lot more.....

Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Brave93
I
If I purchased the service manual, would that educate me well enough to begin to do some of these small projects?
IMO you'll need the manual and a decent quality set of tools including 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 torque wrenches. If you don't get all three, 3/8 is prolly the most useful so start with it. Take your time and you'll do well!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

------------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-08-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Get the service manual. It will most likely tell you how to do everything you will want to do. It isn't highly technical or anything like that. You should have no trouble understanding the directions, and that's what you will see a lot of in there. Unscrew this which is located here, loosen that, remove this, gently pull on this. Those type of instructions, and there are pictures! Get the manual.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I would get the HD manual, I find them a lot better than the Clymer one. But thats just my opinion. You should have no problem doing some of this work yourself and will find it rewarding when you say I did it myself. If you have a problem doing something just post a question on here, there is a lot of people who will be willing to help.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
cptmjd
6th Gear

I'd pay the extra maney and get the manual at the H-D shop. I'd go to the service counter to pay for it. Tell the service guys what your up to and what your interests are. If they're decent-service-guy-types they'll offer a little advice and a few tricks-o-the-trade.
If the guys at the H-D shop are Not helpful, then change your mind about buying the manual, head back to ebay and jump on the forum.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Brave93
Novice

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go down to the dealer tomorrow and get some new grips and the manual and start from there. I like these new grips Harley has come out with.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I am absolutely NOT a mechanic but I bought the HD service manual. It is more technical than I will ever need but it covers basics as well. I changed my grips using you-tube videos. There are many easy to follow videos. Start with an easy project and gain some confidence. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with all the above. Start small, turning some wrenches, changing stuff around. You will learn where your limitations are, but these small projects are a good start. As one of the smarter members on here said to me when I wanted to change out my pipes, breather, and install a fuel management system, "It ain't freakin' rocket surgery."

Good luck and feel free to ask anyone on these forums for help. Most of us are very helpful.

Quick Reply: I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but....