General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Brave93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tool suggestions. I may have a bunch of these, but will likely make the quick trip to Sears at some point. I bought my grips and added chrome switch housing and button covers to change as well.

I also got a high perf light bulb cause I'm not pleased w/ the amont of light coming from the 5 year-old stock bulb.

Next up will be new floorboard inserts and brake pedal.

Most of my work will be cosmetic in nature. I'd rather let a mechanic do the hard-core engine work if needed.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Another Young Sinner
Cruiser

Get a manual and then be patient with yourself. It's a lot more important to do a good job than to get things done expediently. Being 17 years old, I have very little technical experience. The key for me has actually been to make sure to do it without other people around. I have found when I do things with my dad trying to help me I rush things to avoid him jumping in the middle of it, and when you rush you make mistakes. Like I said, just take your time and have as much confidence in yourself as you can. The chances of you messing something up beyond repair is very slight. You'll do fine man. Happy wrenching.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

A service manual, a cable lube tool, a 3/8 inch head ratchet set, a set of screw drivers and a set of wrenches is pretty much all you need to get started. With a service manual it is like following a recipe book. Pretty soon you'll be altering the recipes for your own tastes

Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

As others have said, get the manual and also look on youtube/this forum for even more advice. I'm far from a mechanic myself, but can do a few things thanks to the manual and the right tools. The other thing is TAKE YOUR TIME and do it right. I always allocate double the time I think I will need, even for simple stuff like oil changes.

I won't make plans or try to do something a half hour before work or anything, I will block out 4-6 hours for what should be a 30 minute job. Works for me so far. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Brave93
Novice
Default Update:

OK, so I got started on replacing my grips, control housing and buttons. I'd like to say I'm almost done but the two (relatively small) mistakes I made will hold me up until I can visit the dealer tomorrow. I need a brass ferrule for the throttle cable and I accidentally broke my new "chrome plated plastic" horn button. So I guess I get to buy a new set for $20 just to get that button. Once I get those pieces, I can reassemble.

Here are a few pics. One of what I had (all stock grips) and one pic of 'surgery prep.

I'll update again tomorrow; hopefully with a happily completed job.