General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

when or if you get the service manual also buy the parts book
The diagrams are worth it, also if you need a part you have access to the number
also helps with the projects and helps with slow parts folks at dealers
good luck and just ask here also
Carl

Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that the HD manual has decent pics, but until I got use to the format of how they jump around, it was tough to follow.
I think the best thing I ever did before I bought a $15,000.00 motorcycle was spend a $1000 on a Yamaha cruiser. Learn to wrench on it, and then buy others and fix those. It was a great confidence builder.

The issue I have doing things to my Harley such as put the cams I have in, etc. Is that it is so new I have a problem with breaking factory seals before the warranty is up on the bike. It would be like burning money.

We have confidence that you can get your exhaust on, air cleaner, and swap out your hand-grips. When you start projects just remember to have everything you need before you start. Tools, parts, books, and a camera. Take pictures of what it looks like before you start to disassemble. Sometimes book photos are not the best, but if you take a pic with a high quality color camera then you can reference your pic to what the book is trying to show you. Helps out a ton to have your own photos.
Also be sure that you have time to complete the project after you have started. Unless of course it is a large project. This doesn't really matter though if you have a garage or workshop that can keep your bike out of weather, and keep others from messing with it while it is disassembled.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will say this, motorcycles are a lot more complicated (sophisticated) than they used to be. I will do the basics, oil change. plugs, etc, but that is about it.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Robcat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brave93
I have no experience. I'm a new biker (since last summer) and have an 05 Softail Springer and now want to start doing some upgrades with it.

There only one way to get experience. Start tinkering and learn something. You wont believe how easy a lot of it is. And yes, you will learn a few things the hard way. But those are often the best lessons lerned. Definitely get a service manual and then dig in.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

"I want to eventually put a heavy breather on it as well."

Not meaning to be a smart *** but could you please elaborate. I'm a little slow on the up take.

Get the manual for sure. It's a geat read!!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the Clymer manual to be pretty good for the repair tasks I have done so far. Nothing too major...new clutch, tire change, lubricant changes, etc. It seems to cover the procedures fairly well.
About changing the grips: if you buy them at the Harley dealership, make sure you get ones that will fit your bike. There is a difference between older and newer grips, especially the throttle grip ever since they introduced the "fly by wire" throttle. The instructions that come with the grips are very concise (at least the ones I got with mine were)
Good luck! Go get your hands dirty and learn your bike! It makes riding it that much more fun!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to prepare for is laying out some coin for tools you don't have. When I started tinkering with mine, all I had was a 75-piece Craftsman ratchet set, a few screwdrivers, and a small set of SAE wrenches. I quickly realized my tool deficiency and have been working to correct the problem ever since.

Go ahead and plan on a motorcycle jack. You can get one from Sears for around $100, but I would recommend a J&S. Others here like Pitbull. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Lots of threads on jacks here. With shipping, that alone will cost you around $400.

You'll need at least one torque wrench. Going strictly by the book, you'll need two: one measured in ft-lbs and one in inch-lbs. Depending on the brand you buy, you could easily pay $200-$300 a piece.

Then you'll need some Harley-specific tools like an oil filter wrench and 36 mm axle nut wrench. Maybe a belt tension gauge. That will run you another $100 or so. There are some experienced mechanics on here that will say you can improvise to avoid buying these, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I'm very much a novice and I'm not going to risk tearing up a $20k bike in an effort to save $100 in tools.

Plan on another $150-$200 in expanding whatever existing tools you have. By that I mean a set of Torx and Allen bits for your ratchets, ratchet extensions, some offset box wrenches or a set of Thru-Ratchets, and the list goes on.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Like someone else said search You Tube and or get a Fix My Hog video.These will show you how to do some basic maintinence repairs and along with your new manual, should help a lot.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do a lot with these, and not spend very much money on tools. I know. I do it all the time. I have a ton of tools, but these work fine. Are they Snap-On or MAC? No. Are they usable, and work good with good tolerances? Yes.

So add these to the list and you will save some money and get a lot of tool for the buck.

Get this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946345000P?prdNo=15&blockNo=15&blo ckType=G15

and this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

and this:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

and this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G14

and this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9

You need 3 sizes of
Crescent Wrench

These are a must for the money, and work well on your Harley. From banjo bolts to tank/horn nuts. You can do a lot with these tools, and a set of Stanley Sockets from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0). Pick a set. Also get some deep well sockets. "T" handled Allen Wrenches are a good thing to have, but you can get more tools as you need them later. I am trying to set you up with a decent tool set for low cost.
Try to, no, stay away from Harbor freight for these type tools. The specs are off a little, and the steel is not steel. The metal the tool is made of is weak, and stretches. So if tolerances aren't off. They will be soon.

You also need blue, purple, and red thread locker, a jar of anti-seize, blue paper/red cloth shop towels, some big pieces of card board (to sit on and keep drips off the concrete), and few other things. I hardly ever use red thread locker. Purple is the weakest. Blue being middle strength, and red the strongest. I use the blue most of the time.
I don't use a torque wrench much on things 30-40 ft lbs and below. I just have done it so many times I don't need a torque wrench to measure that amount of torque. Now for larger jobs like 75 ft lbs. You can get away with the torque wrench above for changing tires, and anything that requires some serious torque. Are they the most accurate? No, but they work good, and most specs are between two values. So you don't have to stress over being perfect. Although on some things you would want to be perfect. Confusing isn't it?

Maybe you have some of these tools. Hopefully a person just getting started could use this information.

Last edited by editbrain; 03-27-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: I want to be able to tinker and do projects with my bike, but....