General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Alpha
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines

Well i think this goes in here, so don't kill me if it doesn't ok, I'm still getting to know the site.

Anyways, as I mentioned in my introductional post I'm here mostly because of knowledge. I really want to learn about the diffrent types of engines and about the cons and pros of them. So in here I'm going to ask a very big question of which I know it's going to be hard to answer..but I just dont know how to be more specific. What were the diffrences between the engines that were used, and what is bad or good about them? If it's not too much trouble I'd also like to know when they were used, so in which years.
I'm sorry if this question is too big, it's just that I got a lot of stuff to learn.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Engines

Flathead: 1929–1936 *Big twins until 1948 commercial market as models UL and ULH, possible limited market until 1952-some literature indicating existance up to 1952 engine serial numbers displayed at motorcycle shows, old dealer catalog showed as optional engine until 1952 for limited market- sidecar use or military/ government contract completion . K models 1956 - was model prior to OHV CH /sportster. KRs made/raced even later. Servicar/'trike' noted preceding sentance to 1970s. RN*

Knucklehead: 1936–1947 The knucklehead was an early Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine, so named because of the distinct shape of the rocker covers. The engine is a two cylinder, two valve per cylinder, pushrod V-twin.

As the design of Harley-Davidson engines has evolved through the years, the distinctive shape of the valve covers has allowed Harley enthusiasts to classify an engine simply by looking at the shape of the cover. While looking at the V-twin engine in a Harley-Davidson, focus your attention on the top covers. A knucklehead has round ***** that give the knucklehead its name.

Panhead: 1948–1965 The panhead was an early Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine, so named because of the distinct shape of the rocker covers. The engine is a two cylinder, two valve per cylinder, pushrod V-twin.

As the design of Harley-Davidson engines has evolved through the years, the distinctive shape of the valve covers has allowed Harley enthusiasts to classify an engine simply by looking at the shape of the cover. While looking at the V-twin engine in a Harley-Davidson, focus your attention on the top covers. A panhead has covers that look something like an upside down pan.

The Captain America chopper used by Peter Fonda in Easy Rider had a panhead engine.

Currently, a number of third-party engine manufacturers produce custom panhead-style engines, in a variety of bores, many much larger than the original design displacements. Each manufacturer includes significant subtle upgrades to the original design to drastically improve the performance and reliability while still providing the original styling and overall engine structure.

Shovelhead: 1966–1985 The Shovelhead was an air-cooled, 45 degree, V-twin motorcycle engine manufactured from 1966 to 1984 by the Harley Davidson Motor Company. It was made in the 1200cc bore and, after 1978, in the 1340cc bore for Harley's Big Twin bikes, replacing the Panhead, until it was replaced by the Evo. The name "Shovelhead" was a continuation of the convention of naming the engines for the shape of the rocker covers at the top of the engine. The Shovelhead has subtlely rounded rocker covers that resemble the shape of a shovel.

The Shovelhead was in production so long during a time of significant innovation and competition that it was considered a relic long before it was replaced. By the standards of the late 70's and early 80's, the Shovelhead's oil management systems, reliability, maintenance schedule, and overall performance were woefully out of date.

Currently, a number of third-party engine manufacturers produce custom Shovelhead-style engines, in a variety of bores, many much larger than the original design displacements. Each manufacturer includes significant subtle upgrades to the original design to drastically improve the performance and reliability while still providing the original styling and overall engine structure.

Evolution: 1984–1999 The Evolution engine (aka "Evo" and "Blockhead") is an air-cooled, 45 degree, V-twin motorcycle engine manufactured since 1984 by the Harley Davidson Motor Company. It was made in the 1340cc (80 cubic inch) displacement for Harley-Davidson Big Twin bikes, replacing the problematic Shovelhead engine, until 1999 when it was replaced by the Twin Cam 88s. It was made in the 1100cc displacement and is still made in the 883cc and 1200cc displacements since 1986 for the Harley-Davidson Sportster, where it also replaced th

Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

well history wise anyway, some people with first hand experience can tell you more

Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Alpha
1st Gear

thats awesome! [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holly cow, doubt anyone can add more to that. Thanks Ironhead, i also learned a bunch on that one.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Harley's Hall of Engines

Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazon, big book of harley davidson, get the facts withy pics from the source.
ORIGINAL: Alpha

Well i think this goes in here, so don't kill me if it doesn't ok, I'm still getting to know the site.

Anyways, as I mentioned in my introductional post I'm here mostly because of knowledge. I really want to learn about the diffrent types of engines and about the cons and pros of them. So in here I'm going to ask a very big question of which I know it's going to be hard to answer..but I just dont know how to be more specific. What were the diffrences between the engines that were used, and what is bad or good about them? If it's not too much trouble I'd also like to know when they were used, so in which years.
I'm sorry if this question is too big, it's just that I got a lot of stuff to learn.