General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about front tire life

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about front tire life

I went to the Dealer the other day to get my Safety Inspection done. While there the mechanic said my front tire was scalloping but hardly noticeable. I ran my hand over it where he said and he was right.
We checked my service records because him and I both agreed tire was to new looking to be scalloped. Turns out I had 43,000 kms (28,500 miles approx) on this tire. I didn't believe him but I get all my work done there and they had last changed my tire at 23,000 and I have 65,000 on it now. I know I should know when the tire was last changed but I have a lot of vehicles in my fleet and depend on service records to keep me informed.
Anyways I forgot to get a tire gauge reading but tire has a lot of tread left
My question is does it seems normal that a tire with this high mileage can still cause this much debate and search through the service records. I would think a tire this used would be very worn.
I am going to buy a tire depth gauge tomorrow and will post results.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire wear can be influenced by so many factors, it's hard to pinpoint what could cause a particular issue. Tire inflation, riding weight changes, riding habit changes, road surface changes (due to maintenance and wear, etc...) and the list goes on.

Now the D427 that comes on the Fat Bobs had a known scalloping issue on the front tire when first released and Dunlop made some compound changes to address it somewhat, but it still occurs. Just not as bad.

That being said, I've never seen a front tire last close to 30,000 miles on a bike. I just changed mine at close to 18,000 and thought I did outstanding. It was scalloped, but then again it's a D427.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Originally Posted by Phrogman
That being said, I've never seen a front tire last close to 30,000 miles on a bike. I just changed mine at close to 18,000 and thought I did outstanding. It was scalloped, but then again it's a D427.
I agree with all your points. I think the service dept lost track of a tire change for me. I know it sounds stupid but I really can't remember when i changed the front tire last.

I would not have an issue with the scalloping if I had the mileage on it my record say. Hell the tire should be worn to the canvass with close to 30,000 m on it. My issue is it looked as good as any tire on any bike in the servicedept the day I picked it up.
Weird Sh**

Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my scallops wrapped with bacon.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get between 12,000 miles to 15,000 miles on a back tire. I get twice that on the front tire. I run different brands on two bikes and they average out about the same. I use a tire depth gauge and change them when they are worn enough or something is wrong.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I get between 12,000 miles to 15,000 miles on a back tire. I get twice that on the front tire. I run different brands on two bikes and they average out about the same. I use a tire depth gauge and change them when they are worn enough or something is wrong.
I have HD Dunlops I know it is usually 2-1 or 3-1 for front tires compared to back tires.
I just think I should be looking at a tire that looks completely worn out. A couple buddies have looked at it and they said 'no way" is there that many miles on it.
I will measure tread depth tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM
flesher1
Stage III

Cant you check the manufacture date ? I would think a tire with that many miles would have an old date stamp.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Change It!!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
I like my scallops wrapped with bacon.
Try adding a piece of pineapple and skew on a toothpick