General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
kjr2492
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing your Harley?

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask. Do you spray your bike off with the garden hose or do you clean it with something like a spray wax. I bought a sportster that is carburated. I really don't want to get the bike wet and risk moisture and/or rust. I could use an air compressor to dry off. What is your recomendations? Thank you.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Steven W.
Advanced

There is no harm in spraying your bike down with a hose. Spray 'er down, scrub 'er up and dry 'er off.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
08rking
Cruiser

A leaf blower works great for drying them off.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr2492
This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask. Do you spray your bike off with the garden hose or do you clean it with something like a spray wax. I bought a sportster that is carburated. I really don't want to get the bike wet and risk moisture and/or rust. I could use an air compressor to dry off. What is your recomendations? Thank you.
I recommend you park the bike in an hermetically sealed room and never take it outside, especially if it looks like a storm might be brewing.

It's a motorcycle, man. It won't melt in the rain.
Hose it off, power wash (carefully), run it through a touchless carwash (you can use a full-face helmet and get your leathers cleaned at the same time). I used a power washer for 11 years on my carbureted bike and never had a problem. I also rode in humongous rainstorms...with the same result.

Ride it and enjoy it. Just maintain it properly.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on being careful with the power wash.
Mostly because of wheel bearings and have seen some strip decals that ahve not been cleared over.
Use a good car wash soap, like the man said it ain't made outa sugar, ride the pizz outa it

Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't spray ice cold water on a real hot engine! other than that, I soak mine down & wash it with a boot shine brush & soapy water.
If im in a hurry, I spray lemon pledge on it, a quick wipe down & the old iron bitch sparkles in less than 5 minutes!
Hatch.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

There are many schools of thought on how to best clean your bike. My methods differ significantly from those expressed here so far.

I typically clean my bike with the "damp wipe" method. Sometimes water, sometimes a quick detailer, or combinations of both.

Every now and then I'll take the hose to it. Usually after riding through rain or whenever I need to get every crack and crevice cleaned.

When I do hose it, I'm careful to not "flood" the gauges or switches, etc., then blow dry it with a leaf blower, followed by toweling it off.

I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to cleaning my bike and when I do the thorough "hose" job I will typically spend 5 or 6 hours.

Damp wiping in between the major washes can take anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour.

Anyone who tells you they can clean their bike in 30 minutes and it still looks new all these years later is simply not as critical about "clean" as I am - Period!

EDIT: The 5 or 6 hours is for the Limited. The same process for the Duece takes about 3-4 hrs.

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-25-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

"I will typically spend 5 or 6 hours."

Oh Yea . . . . I keep trying to tell myself that it's Therapy!

Going though a car wash isn't such a bad idea. When you come out you get a full body towel massage from the attendant as well . . . and if she's cute . . . . well now!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's filthy like it is now after getting caught in the rain, I'll take it to a do it yourself pressure wash, let it cool, avoid bearings, electrical stuff, just go for the painted surfaces and let er rip with soap followed by rinse. Then I take it for a pretty long ride to air dry it. Then detail what's left, which is wayyy less than when I started. Is this the advised method? Probably not, but it works well.

Quick Reply: Washing your Harley?