General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you should wear good protective gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why you should wear good protective gear

Good read, pass it on to those who think they don't need protective gear

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content...rashqueen.html

Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 PM
gconklin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you should wear good protective gear

I'm nauseated... [:'(]

thanks for the post though.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:22 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

For anyone that's never experienced roadrash that should be a real eyeopener! The only time I had roadrash it was a small place on the side of my knee. It hurt like hell, and the next day I couldn't even bend my leg. I can't even imagine the pain that poor girl went through! I've bookmarked that page and will have my 14 year old son sit down and read it tonight. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

I couldn't even read the whole story. Ugh!!! I'm NEVER riding without chaps on the highway again. (Everything else I already wear all the time.)

Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First I have to say what a tough gal and to get back on a bike and then ride her own, man she has guts and then some. I have to say that's about as bad of roadrash that I've ever seen, so it does make you think of more protective gear.

I have to honestly say I probably won't change my style of gear I wear. I've had a pretty good case of that rash myself, but peanuts compared to hers.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:11 PM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I've always been a proponent of protective gear. Personally, I use the Motoport Ultra ll Air Mesh Kevlar Suit, the best available, IMO.

However, I subscribe to the philosophy that ANYTHING is better than nothing, whether Draggin Jeans, Leathers or whatnot. Especially Helmets.

Of course, there are those who say it'll never happen to them, and they may be correct.

Or not.

That's why they're called 'accidents'. Ya can't always defend yourself against drivers who "Just didn't See Him", rear-ended, left hand turners, etc. Not to mention Black Ice, Sand, gravel, oil and more.

Kinda like telling someone that smoking is bad for their health. Maybe one day...they'll recognize the inherent danger, and then all of a sudden, looking 'Cool' is not the main issue anymore. It could be more important to live to enjoy retirement, spend that extra time with the Wife/Significant Other/Kids/Grandchildren/Fill-in-the-Blank

Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

I've always been a proponent of protective gear. Personally, I use the Motoport Ultra ll Air Mesh Kevlar Suit, the best available, IMO.
how long have you had your motoport suit? is the motoport suit waterproof/resistant without the liner?

i am currently waiting to get my aerostich suit (black/black) back from being altered. ive ridden with it for a couple of days, and it was fantastic. lighter than my leather jacket, full coverage for lower extremities, esp knees, and waterproof enough for commuting.

ive been in a couple of very low speed tipovers in the last decade or two, and a knee gets hurt every time. look at the limps that some of the older riders have. im pretty happy to have the extra protection.

it inspired a little claustrophobia when i first tried it, but two commutes and i was over that, and now look forward to the full coverage as it starts to rain here. winter is coming. id rather look like a power ranger on my bike than sit in traffic with in a car.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:46 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id say the moral of this story is, dont ride behind a dumbass, crotch rockets are geared toward the driver passenger seating, pegs are about a joke, very dangerous unless riding very carefully and safely. Yes better equipment would have saved her some discomfort, but not crawling on the back with that guy would have saved her completely.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
bh73
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Id say the moral of this story is, dont ride behind a dumbass, crotch rockets are geared toward the driver passenger seating, pegs are about a joke, very dangerous unless riding very carefully and safely. Yes better equipment would have saved her some discomfort, but not crawling on the back with that guy would have saved her completely.
I agree gunrunner. They never did mention the speed, but I would have to say it was pretty high!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain

My roomate would still hit that, im sure of it.

Quick Reply: Why you should wear good protective gear