General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender not recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:34 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I changed my battery at 4 years and put it in my riding mower. While on the bike I only periodically plugged in the Tender (Winter) for a few minutes until the green light came on. While it's been in the mower for the last two years it has never been on the Tender. I went out the other day to fire up the mower to change oil and it was still like a new battery.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
The fastest way to kill a battery is to let it go dead and then charge it. When it is dead, it can start to sulfate and you can have a dead cell, even after the first time.

The security system on some of the bikes pulls on the battery. Mine can drop enough to have a hard time starting the bike within a couple of weeks, especially if it's cold.

Completely agree,

During winter storage, wirh Security System on, the battery will be stone dead by springtime.

Use a automatic charger from HARLEY, on my Harley!!!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put my battery on a battery tender for the winter, don't bother at all during riding season, it doesn;t sit long enough.
I always thought a battery Tender "maintains" a fully charged battery, but will not charge a battery 100%. If that is true I assume that letting a battery run down or sit a long time and putting it on a tender will not charge it completely.

Waiting for Battery Guru to straighten me out

Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
I always put my battery on a battery tender for the winter, don't bother at all during riding season, it doesn;t sit long enough.
I always thought a battery Tender "maintains" a fully charged battery, but will not charge a battery 100%. If that is true I assume that letting a battery run down or sit a long time and putting it on a tender will not charge it completely.

Waiting for Battery Guru to straighten me out
Both the Junior and the Plus version of Battery Tender brand maintainers will charge a battery. The Junior charges at a rate of about 700-800 milliamps and the Plus charges at a rate of 1.25 amps.

The only caveat is that they will not charge a battery if it is has been deeply discharged. I think the cut off is 3 volts but I'd have to check their web site to be sure.

Once the maintainer (whichever brand you are using) detects that the battery is fully charged it will switch to a maintenance mode to maintain the battery's voltage. The output in the maintenance mode will vary depending on whether you have anything on the bike drawing current such as a security system. My understanding that a typical maintenance mode output is about 5 milliamps.

If you turn on the bike while the maintainer is connected and run the battery below the maintainer's minimum voltage, it will switch back to the charge mode to bring the battery back to a full charge.

They do not continually charge the battery such as normal trickle charger. They only put out enough current to maintain the battery in a fully charged state.

Everything I've read about batteries say that keeping a battery fully charged is the best way to maximize its useful life. The ones stating that they have never used a maintainer and have experienced long battery life are probably riding their bikes often enough to keep their batteries fully charged or close to it.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Until I started using Tenders my batteries lasted on average 3 yrs in motorcycles,now they last twice as long.One of my muscle cars the battery is over 10 yrs old,confident in knowing anytime I want to start the car it will explode to life.Your choice,and Tenders do not overcharge any battery.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

5 to 6 years and battery still starts the bikes but I replace them them. Tender is meant to stay on the bike all winter long thats why it is called a tender and not a charger.
Weak battery may seem ok and still start the bike but they can do long term damage to charging systems that will end up being a bigger head ache and more expensive than a battery.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

"The only caveat is that they will not charge a battery if it is has been deeply discharged. I think the cut off is 3 volts but I'd have to check their web site to be sure."

The reason they use a minimum cut-off voltage value is to keep nimrods from hooking up a charger backwards and reverse charging a battery (yes, it does happen). It is essentially a polarity protection device. Hooking up a reverse charged battery (or attaching a charger with reversed polarity to a dead battery that is still in the bike) to an, up until that point in time . . . perfectly good motorcycle; will instantly destroy the charging system (Voltage Regulator and Rectifier Bridge) and most of any other electronics (ECM, Radio, Instruments, etc) on the bike that the thoughtful manufacturer didn't see the need to use a reverse polarity circuit.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in Canada for the last two winters and used a DelTran Battery Tender on my 08.
This winter at home I also used it.
Starts like a champ every time.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 AM
roccitybiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Battery tender all the time..during winter storage and during the riding season between rides..never had a problem..always fully charged and ready to go..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
I live in Northeast Ohio. We have pretty bad,cold,wet winters. My 2003 883 has the original battery. It has never been on a tender. ANd it still starts my ride with no problems.
Me too, no Tender but I top the charge off twice during the long cold Winter.

Quick Reply: Battery tender not recommended?