General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender not recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a tender plus a Smart Charger?

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Great point. Especially when they're having to replace batteries under warranty.

I have 2 Tender "Plus'"

Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Battery Tender makes a charger specifically for use with gel batteries. They're sold at BMW dealers. You might find them online, too.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
I replaced my OEM battery last month. It lived on a tender it's whole life, when the bike wasn't running, the tender was hooked up. It started to crank a bit slow a while back, and I replaced it before I rode over to Daytona. We hooked it up at the parts store and it failed a load test.
Anyhoo, the little manual that came with my new Exide battery stated that a battery tender is NOT recommended.
So, I won't use one. We'll see how long this one lasts...
Folks are going to argue with me on this one ....
The best and only real way to fully charge a battery is to take it out on the highway for about a half hour or more at least a couple times a month. You get those windings whipping around ... that's the correct way to charge. Some people think that if the trickle charge it or just start it up once in a while that will do it. No way. In fact just idling it will actually drain the battery because all the lights and options are powered.

Run that thing!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Thanks! The Harley is a gel but the quad is the battery where you add the acid and seal. I check out the BMW dealer.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:33 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Folks are going to argue with me on this one ....
The best and only real way to fully charge a battery is to take it out on the highway for about a half hour or more at least a couple times a month. You get those windings whipping around ... that's the correct way to charge. Some people think that if the trickle charge it or just start it up once in a while that will do it. No way. In fact just idling it will actually drain the battery because all the lights and options are powered.

Run that thing!
No argument! My scoot has a voltmeter and sometimes (when snow) I run it at 14 volts for about 10 minutes (1000 RPMS). Otherwise, it falls below 13 or 12 and that doesn't help the batttery at all.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM
ajay450
Tourer

I keep my riding lawnmower on a Battery Tender Jr all winter long. It's about 10 years old. Starts up every spring. I keep my 04 Fatboy on a BTJ all the time, summer and winter.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Charging an HD battery with a BMW tender? Hmmmmm, I don't know.........

Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I switch my battery tender between my Harley, Triumph and BMW Z3 roadster all winter. Never have a problem starting. Seems to me it's a lot better to keep the batteries charged than letting them run way down and then having to recharge them.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

The fastest way to kill a battery is to let it go dead and then charge it. When it is dead, it can start to sulfate and you can have a dead cell, even after the first time.

The security system on some of the bikes pulls on the battery. Mine can drop enough to have a hard time starting the bike within a couple of weeks, especially if it's cold.

I have a Craftsman tender that works great, when I remember to plug it in. If I have a couple of weeks when I won't be riding, I plug it in. Same battery since 07 and still running perfectly, at least when it's charged.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Battery tenders, maintainers are not harmful as they don't charge at all unless the battery drops below a certain level what it requires charging. They are not per say continually charging like some may think. They are designed for sitting batteries ie motorcycles, riding mowers, boat batteries. They definately don't shorten battery life.

Quick Reply: Battery tender not recommended?