General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender not recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only plug in for the winter since its below freezing. if i could ride once a week i wouldnt plug in

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
jvalny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used a battery tender for many years on all of my bikes. The one thing I always do is change my battery every four years. That is three years of service and replaced the beginning of the fourth year.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always keep mine plugged in over the winter. This is from the Deltran web site. I take it these guys are a lot smarter than me.

"There has been some confusion in the battery charger world that some of our chargers are simply maintainers ---- NOT TRUE! Each and every Deltran Battery Tender Battery Charger® regardless of its size is programmed with a microprocessor that will correctly charge a battery then automatically switch to a maintenance/float mode".

Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheater
I'm not a engineer but.....I took my Battery Tender apart once (it's what I do) and I didn't see anything "smart" in it. A transformer, rectifier, filter and a regulator. So a cheap, low current trickle charger (1.25 amps max). I put mine on my bikes for 24 hours once a month to bring them to full charge in the winter and they do well.
The regulator is the "smart" part, not all chargers have that.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
What brand is your battery? That's what I want to get the next time I need one!
His is the OEM stock HD battery. Mine was never on a tender either in the ten years it lasted.....My original battery just got replaced last year with another HD battery.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM
fester1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
I replaced my OEM battery last month. It lived on a tender it's whole life, when the bike wasn't running, the tender was hooked up. It started to crank a bit slow a while back, and I replaced it before I rode over to Daytona. We hooked it up at the parts store and it failed a load test.

Anyhoo, the little manual that came with my new Exide battery stated that a battery tender is NOT recommended.

So, I won't use one. We'll see how long this one lasts...

Hmm, battery company says don't use a tender. Imagine that. Maybe because without a tender they might sell you another battery a little sooner?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fester1
Hmm, battery company says don't use a tender. Imagine that. Maybe because without a tender they might sell you another battery a little sooner?
I think that's the legal department talking, not the sales department. Ever noticed that they'll give you a 4 page manual and 3 3/4 pages are things not to do? "Do not mount upside down" "Do not lick the terminals" "Do not drop on foot from a height of 3 feet" "Do not hit with a BF hammer".

Then when you get to the actual directions it says "connect red to +, black to -" and that's it.

This way, if anybody, anywhere does anything wrong with a tender, they can say "we advised against that". It's all about CYA.

Last edited by Sharknose; 03-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
A Trickle Charger will be the death of a battery in short order. Most consumers don't know and/or can't tell the difference between a Trickle Charger and a Smart Charger. So if you're the battery manufacturer and you know that most batteries will do just fine without any external charger . . . it's a lot easier to say DON'T USE ANY CHARGER than it is to try and educate a consumer, especially after their battery has failed because they put it on a Trickle Charger.

Great point. Especially when they're having to replace batteries under warranty.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your battery came with a manual? And you read it ? I am impressed.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One time and it was gone

Originally Posted by JackDupp
I have an '02 with a sealed battery and have never had a tender
on it, or any of my others with sealed battery's. With snow around
here for months they sit idle for a long time. They don't seem
to need one, but when they do get tired they give up quick.
I keep my bike on a tender and most of the time it keeps it marginally charged but I also keep a tender on a 4x4 quad that I snow plow with. I just bought a new "pour in the acid and seal" type of battery for it and after one plowing (using the winch), it killled the battery so I have to jump it every time. Then tender doesn't get it up to where it should be. I guess it is time to use the warranty and maybe try to find a bigger battery with the same footprint. Anyone know of any tricks?

Quick Reply: Battery tender not recommended?