General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 09:53 PM
brendajmull
|
Cruiser
Default What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

I am talking about 45 and up,, I cant afford heated suits , so what good tips do you have to keep warm without spending a fortune? yesterday when we left for the march of dimes ride I had on my dhs ski gloves, my ski jacket , and a cutoff sleeve from a fleece shirt around my neck and face,, but I would like to look a little bit more stylish,,.I also had on a headband that covered my ears. I was pretty comfy, but I am sure there are some things that would maybe be nicer and made for motorcycle riding.. thanks

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:21 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Helmet w/ the ear covers takes care of that, and a bandana folded will cover the mouth/nose fine. I have a heavy HD leather coat that never gets cold at 45, and non-vented gloves will keep the digits warm.

'course anything above 55 and I rarely even put a coat on. Still frozen from my decades in the north.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:24 PM
HammerheadSSN663
Cruiser
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

keep that neck hole plugged and buying army surplus foul weather gear.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:26 PM
buttman
Road Master

Layers!!!

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:35 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I usually have:

Thermal undies
jeans
chaps
cold weather hiking type socks
long sleeved t-shirt
hoody sweat shirt type coat
leather coat
wool glove inserts
good cold weather riding gloves-HD with wind guard is what I am using right now...pretty good and the gloves are not huge and bulky
hand warmer pack inside glove
nepropine face cover
skully hat
googles

Have not tried it myself but, they say if you keep your chest warm, specifically over your heart that the rest of your body stays considerbly warmer. HC has tried it with a not so warm getting thermal back ache warming pad and it helped. We picked up some body/hand/toe warming packs that have a sticky side to them, they get pretty warm so, we are going to try the body warmer pad and stick to our chest and see how it works. It is supposed to work great, saw something on Discovery channel on wht folks do to stay warm and work down in the antartic.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:38 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

A couple of key things to keep warm are the fingers and the throat area. If yer comfortable there, the rest will be ok.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:38 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Went on a benefit ride today. When we left it was below 40 degrees. I had on a beanie cap, my Columbie winter coat, gauntlet leather gloves and my rain gear pants over top of my jeans and I was quite comfy. Personally I care less about style and when trying to be warm I care even less.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:47 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser

The HD windproof fabric pullover hat works great. It's thin so you could use it under a helmet if you want, I never tried that myself but, it really does cut the wind! I pull mine down to the top of my glasses and over my ears.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4026/A8E2CEFE16534DCD83F15A7486224769.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:48 PM
Lunder99
Cruiser

Being from North Dakota the best thing I found was layers and keeping the neck and face area covered. Rode 60 miles home the other night with temps in the low 30s. Never got cold with leathers on and layers...
Cheers
Chris

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:50 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The finger tips are my biggest prob...but, with keeping the chest area warm, it is supposed to take care of that to...so, we will see.

Quick Reply: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?