General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 11:50 PM
brendajmull
|
Cruiser
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

I'm very curious how you could afford a Harley Davidson motorcycle and all the ski gear your wearing but can not afford $80.00 for a Widder electric vest and $69.00 for a Widder temp controler??
Oh, I'm so sorry. I did not know that all rich people were on this forum, I got the ski jacket and gloves at Costco about 2 years ago for about 5O$ total. I have a son to put thru college, have you seen the cost of tuition??? another son in San diego in the USMC barely making enough money to pay his bills that wants to come home for Christmas, his first in 3 years , and I want to be able to buy him a roundtrip ticket and make it a great Christmas for him as we dont know where he will be next year. Sooooo, I tend to put myself on hold to do for others,, my boss sold me my harley (2006 sporty) for $4000 as a bonus for working for him for 17 years or I would not have one..

So, to all of you with all the great tips, thanks again.

Old 10-17-2006 | 12:50 AM
2wheeldreamer
Tourer
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

ORIGINAL: brendajmull

I'm very curious how you could afford a Harley Davidson motorcycle and all the ski gear your wearing but can not afford $80.00 for a Widder electric vest and $69.00 for a Widder temp controler??
Oh, I'm so sorry. I did not know that all rich people were on this forum, I got the ski jacket and gloves at Costco about 2 years ago for about 5O$ total. I have a son to put thru college, have you seen the cost of tuition??? another son in San diego in the USMC barely making enough money to pay his bills that wants to come home for Christmas, his first in 3 years , and I want to be able to buy him a roundtrip ticket and make it a great Christmas for him as we dont know where he will be next year. Sooooo, I tend to put myself on hold to do for others,, my boss sold me my harley (2006 sporty) for $4000 as a bonus for working for him for 17 years or I would not have one..

I also am not rich and can't at this time afford all of the extra goodies to keep warm but they will come with time. Lots of medical bills for the wife keeps me down financially but someday that will end (I hope).

I suffer from a huge lack of body fat and tend to get cold very fast. I do use layers of clothes and leathers but my biggest problems are my feet and hands. I'm looking for a better pair of winter gloves which should not be a huge problem but boots are another issue. My good insulated boots are just to big for me to shift gears. I've tried several rides and since I'm no contortionist it makes for a difficult ride. I will take HDWG's suggestions and try to find the warmer packs for the feet and hands and see how that works. Hey HDWG can you give any clues of what you are using???

Old 10-17-2006 | 02:30 AM
HD FBOY
Intermediate

Don't laugh but try a pair of foam ear plugs. In the fall and spring I keep a pair in my jacket. Keeping the cold out of the ear canal seems to make a huge difference @ 50 degrees. I never would have tried this until I got caught when a front came through and a guy I was riding with put them in. At first I kinda laughed @ him until he explained and handed me a pair insisting that I try them. Well I did and I was astonished at the difference it made. My fingers even felt warmer.

Old 10-17-2006 | 02:32 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

Fat,layers & layers of fat
Name:  loldadusethisforyourfourms.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  34.3 KB

Old 10-17-2006 | 08:41 AM
PearlsofPauline
Cruiser

Brenda

Looks like you have your priorities in the correct order, I hope you have a great Holiday..I remember over the summer you were planning a party for your son and watching the pennies then...you sound like a great Mom...what do your boys think of you riding?
My older daughter loves that I do..she thinks I am crazy..she rides an 883 custom..the younger one just started her second year in college and was not crazy about us riding..until we went down to visit her on the bikes..and she got on the back of the Road King with my husband. We were riding thru some country roads in South Jersey ..it was a beautiful day and when I pulled up next to them at a light she looks at me with a huge smile on her face and say's "I really like this...we should do this more often"!!! I got such a kick outta her face...god I love that kid. And when they pulled away my heart melted as I watched her looking around at all the beautiful surroundings...I was hoping that she was realizing what I get out of riding...that great appreciation of freedom and beauty..of engaging all my senses and my feelings..of touching who I really am inside. It was then I looked at myself at her age..not knowing what was ahead...but having a great time..it was 1970...and life was wonderful...coming of age...with the support of a good mother..who always gave and was always there for me....so keep up the good work...and thank your sons for me...for their service...because without them and all the boys like them who defend our freedoms...and mom's like you who take care of them we wouldn't have the privelege of enjoying our freedom and beauty of this great nation.

P.S. My daughter kept the Harley Davidson jacket I loaned her on that ride..she wears it around campus!!!! Big Shot!!!

Also I got 3 great black turtlenecks at Goodwill!! for $3.00 each Old Navy Banana Republic and Donna Karan...a great savings on the original prices I am sure!!

Have a great day..Pauline

Old 10-17-2006 | 09:06 AM
brendajmull
|
Cruiser

thanks Pauline..I am going out today to see what I can find. It is supposed to be around 70 tomorrow so I wont need anything but my jacket!! It sounds like your younger daughter will be wanting a bike of her own soon...

Old 10-17-2006 | 09:48 AM
PearlsofPauline
Cruiser

Yeah...70 tomorrow...and 74 on Thursday....Sick day...or just plain Hooky??? Which one works best??? Thank goodness those sick days are built in!!! I call them "mental health" days.

Pauline

Old 10-17-2006 | 10:12 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

We met plenty of Harley riders out there freezing their butts off wearing leather riding gear trying to look cool while freezing, I see no point in this, but each to their own! We heard many wives of these Harley riders ask their husbands (why do we have to freeze when there is electric heated gear like their using to stay nice and warm??)

Not one had a good answer!!

Why do you assume they are trying to look cool by wearing leather ?? All I own is leather so that is what I wear. sooo sorry I can't be cool like you and have a trailer behing me to haul a battery around so all my "cool" nifty elecric stuff can work. I get a strong feeling you don't ride for the love of it but for other reasons....................

Old 10-17-2006 | 01:09 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

brendajmull
Hang Around

I never said anyone was RICH as you put it!! Being I probably have less money
then anyone on this forum I would not ever want to sound like I'm RICH..
Sorry you took it as sounding like I had a lot of money (BECAUSE I DON'T)

I have bought ski gear and it is not cheap,Harley's aren't cheap
(unless it is a Sportster) I'm very careful where I spend my money and the
first thing I will spend money on is good riding gear. WHY? because in my
40+ years of riding I've learned that if your uncomfortable you are distracted
from the job at hand (trying not to be killed by someone in a car,truck or van)
if your focus is on being cold or wet and your joints are cold or/and
damp they don't move well at all (very slow in fact) So with lack of focus
and slower movement you run a much higher risk of being layed up in a
hospital or worse yet (DEAD) which does no ones family any good what so ever!

So IMO if your worried about how to take care of your family you wear good
riding gear to help your odds of being around for them in the years ahead..

I ride 50,000+ miles a year here in the NC. Blue Ridge Mountains and I see
plenty of motorcycle wrecks, sometimes as many as 8 in a day, most are
Harley's and BMW's Yuppies and R.U.B.s or Posser's, the ones I see die are
mostly guys on Harleys with non DOT aproved helmets riding with a few
beers in them..... Go figure what they were thinking"

I was asking my question to you out of curiosity to why anyone would wear
ski wear which is not cheap compared to good electric motorcycle gear that
is cheap in comparison! it was not my intention to make you think anything
else by asking you about it..

Once again I'm sorry that I offended you"

BTW: I would not have my 2007 Ultra Classic if it was not for two things..

#1.. I told my wife for years I would want a Harley (if or when they built a
real motorcycle) (IE) Good reliable real engine and transmission we could
ride the 50,000+ miles a year we ride now on Goldwings and other
motorcycles we have owned over the years..

#2 after her working for her company for 16+ years she got the promotion
she should have got years ago and with her extra income she went out and
bought the 2007 Ultra Classic for my birthday because Harley got the bike
right after 100 years of trying and her promotion came at the same time!

You ride safe now Ya" Hear"

Old 10-17-2006 | 01:52 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

zukeeper
Prospect

quote:

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

We met plenty of Harley riders out there freezing their butts off wearing leather riding gear trying to look cool while freezing, I see no point in this, but each to their own! We heard many wives of these Harley riders ask their husbands (why do we have to freeze when there is electric heated gear like their using to stay nice and warm??)

Not one had a good answer!!

Why do you assume they are trying to look cool by wearing leather ?? All I own is leather so that is what I wear. sooo sorry I can't be cool like you and have a trailer behing me to haul a battery around so all my "cool" nifty elecric stuff can work. I get a strong feeling you don't ride for the love of it but for other reasons....................

(in reply to 211Chuck)

You are SO TOTALLY WRONG my friend!!

I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, even when I lived
in Canada I rode in 45 below zero, snow storms from HE!!, ice all
over the roads, I rarely drove a car, I rode as much as 100,000
miles a year in Canada!

I think that qualifies me as someone who LOVES TO RIDE"

My wife bought me a 2007 Ultra Classic about a month ago for my
birthday and I/we have over 7,000 miles on it already. I/we have
rode over 60,000 miles this year and still have 2 1/2 months left
in 2006 to put more miles on..

You may have mistaken me for one of those less then 10,000 miles
a year R.U.B.s,Yuppies or Possers that think they know what
motorcycling is about while their out just trying to look cool but
really have no clue at all... (you know, Marlin Brando wanna be's)
playing Mr. Dress up on weekends!

So I hope my post has cleared that up for you?

Ride Safe my friend"

Quick Reply: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?