General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:50 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

See...thats the reason to spend more time outside in winter. Gets you used to the cold so it don't feel so cold. Course it helps that I worked in a freezer for a couple years...LOL

Seriously, I regularly ride to work, 53 miles in temps as low as 30 degrees. I wear my normal work clothes, leathers with a lined jacket, a neoprene neck and head cover that I can wear over my mouth and nose, Gaunlet gloves (winter weight) A leather dickie for extra neck protection, and good boots. I may wear a second pair of sox if its really cold out. Add a 3/4 helmet with face shield, and I am set.

Remember....cold is a state of mind over matter...it you don't mind...it don't matter...get out and ride.

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:59 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

45* and I'm in chaps, jeans, leather jacket (no liner), leather gloves (no insulation) and a full face helmet.

I guess I'm a polarbear! I do have the insulation and the fur to help

If I'm windproof, I'm warm without added bulk.

Old 10-16-2006 | 08:32 AM
PearlsofPauline
Cruiser

Hi Brenda.

Old 10-16-2006 | 08:47 AM
PearlsofPauline
Cruiser

Hi Brenda..

First one posted itself!!! How is thay Sportster working out for you??? I've been riding like a mad woman all summer in 100 degrees sometimes and loving it. I'm not crazy about the cold but I still want to keep riding as long as I can. Went out yesterday early and was a little chilled.I was wearing layers, leathers and chaps, new gauntlet gloves and just one pair of socks. Rode over to Delaware and stopped by a flea market...picked up a pair of those cheap stretch gloves and a beanie cap which I put under my helmet and pullled down over my ears and just above my glasses..( got new ones that keep the wind out..really helps with tearing). I used the gloves as liners which I used to wear when skiing and was surprised at how much warmer they kept my hands.
I saw these socks in cabela's catatlog that have battery packs and warmers for $20.00 was thinking of getting them. They also have some good undergear for hunting...hubby wears underarmor from when he used to run (marathons) and that keeps him toastie.If you are concerned about cost why don't you try the local Goodwill and look in the sporting stuff..you can find windbreakers and rain gear. I like to use a windbreaker underneath it keeps the heat in. I am going to try the heat packs (thanks Sean) over my heartnand in my boots. I used them skiing also and they did the trick on cold days. I bought this really neat bandana in Wildwood over the summer, it's quilted and has velcro so you can fold it and wear it over your neck and face. I am up for any ideas to keep out the cold. Remember those days when you were a kid and went out playing in the snow with so much clothing you couldn't bend ?? Then you had to pee...well yesterday with the chaps on !!!!!! I am going to check back to see more ideas posted I love free information. Have a fun fall, I'm glad you gave the Sporster a chance. Pauline

Old 10-16-2006 | 09:06 AM
brendajmull
|
Cruiser

We picked up some body/hand/toe warming packs that have a sticky side to them, they get pretty warm so, we are going to try the body warmer pad and stick to our chest and see how it works. It is supposed to work great, saw something on Discovery channel on wht folks do to stay warm and work down in the antartic.
thats a great idea, my dh got those when he would take our son hunting,, I did use some toe warmers the other day when we did the march of dimes ride andmy feet never got cold..
My dh left this morning on his wide glide at 30 degrees, he just wears a full face, leather and layers and heated gloves,he says as long as his hands dont get cold he is good to go.

I am going to get a few of the things mentioned, I really want to go out riding this fall and check out the changing leaves and such,, we want to go down skyline drive in 2 weeks if things work out..

Pauline, Hi, I too am glad I stuck it out with the sporty,, I have put on lots of goodies,,(that is why I am low on cash now) and about 1300 miles,, I love it.. I am going to have to hit some flea market and see what I can pick up.
Thanks for all the great tips!!

Old 10-16-2006 | 10:53 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Layering. Works well for skiing as well as riding your bike.

Old 10-16-2006 | 11:59 AM
Dixie Rider
Cruiser

When I was young and stupid I didn't feel the cold as much as I do now. Few years back I broke down and bought the heated gloves and have not looked back... bought the heated jacket for under my leather jacket and ride all winter. Chaps on the legs and cover the face with a leather bandana. For the windy days I might have to put on the goggles. Fingers and toes have to be warm. By the heated clothes and you won't regret it.

Old 10-16-2006 | 03:01 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

brendajmull
Hang Around

Status: offline I am talking about 45 and up,, I cant afford heated suits , so what good tips do you have to keep warm without spending a fortune? yesterday when we left for the march of dimes ride I had on my dhs ski gloves, my ski jacket , and a cutoff sleeve from a fleece shirt around my neck and face,, but I would like to look a little bit more stylish,,.I also had on a headband that covered my ears. I was pretty comfy, but I am sure there are some things that would maybe be nicer and made for motorcycle riding.. thanks

I'm very curious how you could afford a Harley Davidson motorcycle and all the ski gear your wearing but can not afford $80.00 for a Widder electric vest and $69.00 for a Widder temp controler???

This seems very strange to me!

The wife and I rode this past Saturday and Sunday mornings at 20 degrees in the Blue Ridge Mountains with our Widder electric vests and gloves with our nylon Harley wind breaker jackets,blue jeans and riding boots and we were nice and toasty warm. We met plenty of Harley riders out there freezing their butts off wearing leather riding gear trying to look cool while freezing, I see no point in this, but each to their own! We heard many wives of these Harley riders ask their husbands (why do we have to freeze when there is electric heated gear like their using to stay nice and warm??)

Not one had a good answer!!

Old 10-16-2006 | 03:38 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: brendajmull

I am talking about 45 and up,,

45 is a warm summer day here.

Just add layers. Make sure the outside one is wind proof. It's all about trapping air.

Old 10-16-2006 | 04:34 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

shampa head band around a beanie hat (under the helmet), shampa face mask w/nose cut out (posted above), Under Armor turtleneck (long sleeve) and leggins, t shirt, sweater/sweatshirt, jeans, thick socks, boots, glove liners and leather insulated gloves.

i still havent worn my chaps.

and......the above clothing was what i wore when i had my Yamaha Warrior... no windshield.

Quick Reply: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?