General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:52 PM
Towpro
Banned
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

ORIGINAL: HDWG

The finger tips are my biggest prob...but, with keeping the chest area warm, it is supposed to take care of that to...so, we will see.
Very interesting about the chest area being kept warm, makes sense uh.....let us know when/if you try the warmers, thanks man.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:57 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?

Watched a whole thing about it on Discovery.....They had a guy with this suit on, the suit was eletric I believe. They kept his chest warm and he took his gloves off and was using them normally in some crazy cold environment, he was fine and fingers were warm. Turned off the heat and within just a couple of minutes he lost most of the control of his fingers and almost had frost bite...they fired the suit up and fingers became warm again and he was able to use them again...
ORIGINAL: Towpro

ORIGINAL: HDWG

The finger tips are my biggest prob...but, with keeping the chest area warm, it is supposed to take care of that to...so, we will see.
Very interesting about the chest area being kept warm, makes sense uh.....let us know when/if you try the warmers, thanks man.

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:00 AM
dastark
Road Master

Sean, you suggested a while back that Heather liked those back warmer wraps. For those of you who aren't aware of what these are, they're made for lower back troubles. Wrap them around your back, or wherever, and nice heat. I'll be doggoned Sean, I woke this morning with a backache, and put one on. Nice as usual. Then I put on the kidney belt. HAVE MERCY! Like having Deanna hug me all day long. P.S. As we speak, she's rubbin' on the Aspercreme. Life'e nice. Thanks for the tip Sean/ Heather.

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:06 AM
fatdave
Advanced

Keep the wind off. The wind will make you cold fast. Have an outside layer that will block the wind. Even a cheap rain suit works. Add layers under it that will hold your body heat. Keep your head, face and hands warm. A full face helmet and good gloves. I've gotten caught out on trips and had to make it home. I stuffed a folded newspaper in the front of my jacket and down my pant legs. Anything to block the wind. Also look at snow skiing and snow mobile suits. Most times they are cheaper that the motorcycle stuff and work just as well.

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:13 AM
Towpro
Banned

Sunday
10/15/2006

Sunday night:
Mainly clear skies. Cold. Low 34F. Winds light and variable.
34°F
.................................................. .................................................. ......................

Monday
10/16/2006 Sunrise: 7:20 am 34°F Sunset: 6:30 pm

Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 67F. Winds light and variable.

Thanks for all the tips, seeing how I could not ride this week-end, gotta ride to work tomorrow. Tired of the cage man....!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:14 AM
Lunder99
Cruiser

Being from North Dakota the best thing I found was layers and keeping the neck and face area covered. Rode 60 miles home the other night with temps in the low 30s. Never got cold with leathers on and layers...
Cheers
Chris

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:32 AM
myzen
Road Captain

For the face I use one of these: Schampa Gordito and a half helmet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4817/19EB85B489794145AECC452B76719A77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:36 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Hug the rear jug with your legs!!!
ORIGINAL: brendajmull

I am talking about 45 and up,, I cant afford heated suits , so what good tips do you have to keep warm without spending a fortune? yesterday when we left for the march of dimes ride I had on my dhs ski gloves, my ski jacket , and a cutoff sleeve from a fleece shirt around my neck and face,, but I would like to look a little bit more stylish,,.I also had on a headband that covered my ears. I was pretty comfy, but I am sure there are some things that would maybe be nicer and made for motorcycle riding.. thanks

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:42 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

When I pull my feet up and rest them on top of the crash bars it seems to change the airflow and draws the warm air up from the motor and warms me up considerably.

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:50 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Move to a warmer climate! I don't think it drops much below 50 here, and that's in January in the dead of night!

Seriously, it really depends on what you have. If you have a good riding jacket, why not wear a fleece under it? Maybe the same under the chaps/jeans, wear some thermal underwear? Gloves, you'll have to get a good pair. Heated gloves might be pricey, but I would imagine worth it. I have a thick pair of Harley gloves, so thick I almost can't bend my fingers (the right glove has a cool squeegee on the index finger). I rarely wear them though, as they get warm fast!

Quick Reply: What are you best tips for staying warm when riding in colder temps?