General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:37 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Hello all. I am a new member and am very close in making my first HD purchase. I was wondering if anyone had any first time buyer tips? Such as how much over MSRP would be acceptable? Is there any way I can get around paying the dealer's setup and freight fee? Anything else would be greatly appreciated, and if there are any sales reps that could jump in here, please do. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:52 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Practice bending over and touching your toes...then it won't hurt so much when ya close the deal!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:56 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

lol.I think that's true with anything these days bounty hunter.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

I would wait till the weather gets as cold as you can, I don't know where your from. I went in last year in November and paid 250 under MSRP out the door price. May be different with new model year though. It's getting cold in the midwest so our riding days are numbered. Good luck with your new bike. Tom

Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

thanks tom. i live in san diego. i'm afraid that the weather doesn't get that cold here.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

San Diego? I'd think about steering clear of SD Harley- haven't had real good experiences with them. Didn't buy a bike from them, but had some work done there. This was a couple of years ago, they may have cleaned up their act by now. Try South Coast harley first.

Also- there are a ton of great used bikes out on the market now. Harley flooded the market. Bikes seem to be depreciating more than they used to. Also, given the market flooding, I wouldn't pay anything over MSRP. The dealers will probably try to jack you on the '07's. Another reason to look at used bikes.

Wait until mid to late December...they'll be more desperate to make year end quotas.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Research!!! Make sure you know what MSRP is for your model, shop around. Even if it is just calling around to find out what different shops charge. Dealers will usually give you a better price if you know more about their competitors prices.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:16 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Never pay over MSRP, and have them out the door the price. There is little to do on setup, so a couple hundred is all that should be at the most. And shipping should be the same cost for all dealers in your area.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I don't think your going to get much under MSRP, however, it seems dealers are more likely to throw in extra stuff to sweeten the deal when they see you might walk on em. Take your time, be sure of the bike you want, work with the same salesperson, make several visits so they know who you are when you come in. Make phone calls to the salesperson with a lot of enthusiasim, then begin to back away from the offer. Expect a phone call soon or for the sales manager to take a call on behalf of your salesperson.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
fatdave
Advanced

Look for the best deal. You may have to go outside of your area but they are out there. Red River HD here in TX has a couple 06 Road Glides for 18,520 + TTL and a 1,500 dollar gift card throw in. Add the card to the deal and it's under MSRP of 17,885. Wave cash under his nose and who knows.

Quick Reply: Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?