General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Go to the dealer, and pick up a copy of 'Thunder Press'

Then look through it for the dealers offering specials. Lots of dealers her in CA. Very few deals, but they are out there.

Its a free paper. New ones show up around the first week of the month.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dgator66

When I was in Carlsbad in November of 04, I stopped into a local dealership. It was a small shop just north of Carlsbad. A friend bought a NightTrain for under MSRP and had it shipped home (Alabama), cheaper than he could buy it at home. I wish I could remember the salesman's name, because he almost sold me a bike and I knew I was leaving the states for at least a year. They found out I was deploying and gave me a couple of T-shirts for free. Only time that has ever happened. Good luck.
It could have been Biggs, or Stubbs, or something like that, don't hold me to the name. It is the first dealership on the left as you are leaving downtown Carlsbad, though. Sorry, I should have paid more attention.
don't worry about it gator. are you still in iraq? if so, good luck to you and watch your six. i just returned from deployment in august. i would have bought through the aafees sales rep, but i had my old bike i was still paying for at the time. i'll be shipping out next november but i'm not sure if we'll be over there or not, still too early to tell.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, still here. One year stretched into two, now two is stretching into... oh well, you get it. I was in Carlsbad to learn about some Tadpole systems. When I was out there, it was supposedly the coldest weather on record, but man, I still had fun. I wish it wasn't so expensive to live out there. I hung out at some Irish pub downtown alot. Then there was a pizza place that sold and bottled their own really really good beer. Nice town.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Most (if not all) of the replies have been with regards to the sale....If you're a first time HD owner, and you don't plan on doing your own maintenance, I'd spend some time hanging around the service area. Check and see what they charge per hour, what a 5000 mile maintenance costs, etc. Is the area clean? Or is it cluttered? It's also a good place to hit up some of the owners that are hanging around waiting to pickup their bikes. Check out the Dealers HOG Chapter...Only for the opportunity to pick the brains of people that might have purchased and later had their bikes serviced there. Buying a new HD is like buying a new car...You're gonna lose money on it from the moment you sign the papers...Granted, not as large a percentage over time, but it's not like it was 10-15 years ago when the 'stealers' routinely got way more than MSRP and people were ordering bikes just to resell them at a profit.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

when i bought mine, the dealer waived the 'set up fee' (that was something like $700) if i purchased the extended contract.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

when i bought mine, the dealer waived the 'set up fee' (that was something like $700) if i purchased the extended contract.

Can you elaborate on the extended contract? Do you mean that you financed for a longer period, or an extended warranty? Speaking of extended warranties, is this an option that is available?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: grunt

Never pay over MSRP, and have them out the door the price. There is little to do on setup, so a couple hundred is all that should be at the most. And shipping should be the same cost for all dealers in your area.
Obviously you have never shopped for a bike in Arizona where the standard setup charge is around $700 and the document charges are around $300.00 so MSRP is total B.S. unless you want to go out of state. You might get a couple of tee shirts thrown in and 10% off everything you buy that day but that's about it.
Setup fee was $250. That of course is added to the MSRP of the bike, which is the starting purchase price for it. I do not live in AZ, and that gives me another reason not to.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Bring the type of condom that you will get some pleasure out of too....
ORIGINAL: phrogflyer

Hello all. I am a new member and am very close in making my first HD purchase. I was wondering if anyone had any first time buyer tips? Such as how much over MSRP would be acceptable? Is there any way I can get around paying the dealer's setup and freight fee? Anything else would be greatly appreciated, and if there are any sales reps that could jump in here, please do. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 AM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And you thought the stories you heard about
prison made you sick. Wait till the dealers done
with you..........well, at least you get a bike. LOL

Old 10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

one of the guys that i work with will only buy vehicles on the last day of the month. salesmen have quotas to meet and if they are short on their quota they will be more willing to deal just to get their $$$ up.