General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?

this is all good info, please keep it coming.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser

Well, here in Connecticut the dealers all charge differently. Now that you've said where your from maybe someone will jump in from your area that has had some dealings in your area. Maybe a new post with a subject line like "Best Price In "......." On a New Harley?" The dealers in my area range from sticker price w/prep charge to $2000. over sticker.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4026/7AFA9C90AF1641B5A0FE3F903DD1612A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 AM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add on to what BH said - ya also want to bring some Astroglide. Otherwise, they will charge you extra for it at the counter.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Rambler
Tourer

Can't remember which one, but one of the San diego shops is owned by LA Harley. They will sell at MSRP and their shipping and setup is as cheap as anyone else in S. CA. Just call all three and ask if they're owned by LA Harley.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Practice bending over and touching your toes...then it won't hurt so much when ya close the deal!
And the Stealer will show you where the wild goose goes.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grunt

Never pay over MSRP, and have them out the door the price. There is little to do on setup, so a couple hundred is all that should be at the most. And shipping should be the same cost for all dealers in your area.
Obviously you have never shopped for a bike in Arizona where the standard setup charge is around $700 and the document charges are around $300.00 so MSRP is total B.S. unless you want to go out of state. You might get a couple of tee shirts thrown in and 10% off everything you buy that day but that's about it.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go visit the showroom, but just to look around and see what they have in stock and if they have the bike you want. When they have something you like and you are ready to buy, go in about an hour before they close, or walk in some other time but tell them you have to be somewhere in 45 minutes. Keep looking at your watch. Let them know they only have a few minutes of your time. Tell them the price you want to pay for the bike. Don't even bother asking them what's their lowest price, it's a waste. The key is not to be afraid to walk away. You have all the power. Get an idea on what interest rates you can expect and go for the shortest term possible, this lowers your rate and the total you will end up paying. Again, the key is not to be afraid that they will turn your offer down. You can always come back and try again.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I waited to get my bike until the 07's came out. THen I went around to several dealers who were taking a hit on still having 06's on the floor. I got my 06 for about $1000 under MSRP.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: madcitybob

Go visit the showroom, but just to look around and see what they have in stock and if they have the bike you want. When they have something you like and you are ready to buy, go in about an hour before they close, or walk in some other time but tell them you have to be somewhere in 45 minutes. Keep looking at your watch. Let them know they only have a few minutes of your time. Tell them the price you want to pay for the bike. Don't even bother asking them what's their lowest price, it's a waste. The key is not to be afraid to walk away. You have all the power. Get an idea on what interest rates you can expect and go for the shortest term possible, this lowers your rate and the total you will end up paying. Again, the key is not to be afraid that they will turn your offer down. You can always come back and try again.
i've always had a problem walking away from vehicle or past motorcycle buys. my biggest downfall is when i see something i like i jump in head first. thanks for the advise about not being scared to walk away. i will keep this in mind. i'm dealing with two different dealerships now, both have the bike i want(black denim n.t.) in stock. i think for once i'm going to be smart about a purchase and see who gives me the better deal.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:56 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in Carlsbad in November of 04, I stopped into a local dealership. It was a small shop just north of Carlsbad. A friend bought a NightTrain for under MSRP and had it shipped home (Alabama), cheaper than he could buy it at home. I wish I could remember the salesman's name, because he almost sold me a bike and I knew I was leaving the states for at least a year. They found out I was deploying and gave me a couple of T-shirts for free. Only time that has ever happened. Good luck.
It could have been Biggs, or Stubbs, or something like that, don't hold me to the name. It is the first dealership on the left as you are leaving downtown Carlsbad, though. Sorry, I should have paid more attention.

Quick Reply: Buying New From Dealer, Got Any Tips?