General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freight and Handling on New HD Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dHUTCH
Talked to the Sales manager on behalf on the owner today. He explained the charges and like said, I signed and drove off. That being said they are going to do something else to make it right for me.

All in all, with the bike, my riding gear, the extra "charges," my warranty, and service plan....I still paid a lot less than others have paid for the package.

I have my Harley and I love it, and that's all that matters. Just at a month old and I'm already taking it for it's 1000 mile service. We'll get our money out of her!
Enjoy your bike now.

Real easy to arm chair quarter back the transaction. But, for your own fiscal health you should learn to read contracts and look at all of the available senarios. No all dealers are bad. Yo ujust need to find one that you can do business for generations, they are out there.

And for the record everyone on this board have done the same thing.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

$1200???? Did you get HD contract KY lubricant before you signed?

Attached Thumbnails Freight and Handling on New HD Motorcycles-ky_jelly_42g.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way I buy bikes/cars etc is OTD. OTD = Out The Door ready to go/all done with what I wanted on the bike/vehicles as for extra & warranties etc.

End result...It doesn't matter what they charged for the vehicle/extras/warranties/taxes/registration....as long as the "bottom line" cost is what I agreed to...

say I offered 25K for a new FLHX that I wanted to ride away on with security/powerpak/7year warranty w/tire& wheel coverage/cruise/etc and the dealer accepts....beyond that when it comes time to sign the papers it could show
bike = 20K
warranty = 1.5k
tax/license/reg = 2k
setup/freight = 1.5k
total = 25k

or

bike = 21.5K
warranty = 2.5k
tax/license/reg = 1k
setup/freight = 0
total = 25k

See in the second example they charged more for the bike & warranty but nothing in the setup/freight line and less in taxes/reg/license fees but bottom line was still 25k... NEVER get suckered into playing the "multiple line game" always play by the bottom line number! as thats what you truly paid...

Last edited by Mntsnow; 03-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dHUTCH
Talked to the Sales manager on behalf on the owner today. He explained the charges and like said, I signed and drove off. That being said they are going to do something else to make it right for me.

All in all, with the bike, my riding gear, the extra "charges," my warranty, and service plan....I still paid a lot less than others have paid for the package.

I have my Harley and I love it, and that's all that matters. Just at a month old and I'm already taking it for it's 1000 mile service. We'll get our money out of her!
Two happy people make a good deal. Good for you, enjoy your new bike, you worked hard to be able to park it in your yard. That is all that really matters.
Most important thing of buying a bike new or used.........be careful and ride safe.