General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, but I have to ask another pipes question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry, but I have to ask another pipes question

So I finally found my new to me Road King Custom, and I should be picking it up next week. Currently the bike has stage 1 done with SE slip-ons and my first impression was that it was too quiet for my liking. I had originally been leaning toward the Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals, but a lot of posts that I have read seem to say they are pretty loud. I had Straightshots with Thunder Monsters on my Sporty, and I liked them, but my wife thought they were too loud. She says if I put loud pipes on the King she will be less likely to ride with me, which was part of the reason to upgrade the bike in the first place. I don't need the bike to be loud, but it's got to have "THUMP". Maybe a FI bike won't thump like a carb, I don't know. Everyone says great things about the Jackpots, but its hard tell from a youtube clip. How do they compare to the SE pipes? Anyone have any thoughts on the Big Shots with quiet baffles? How about dresser duals with your choice of slip-on? Please help. Pipes aren't cheap and I only want to buy them once.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,737 Likes on 796 Posts

Here's a possible option, with the ability of changeable baffles for less/more sound.

http://www.americancustom.com/

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

son did the V&H's 2-1-2 with Rush 2'' on his 10 Street Glide last summer, he still can hear the radio but loud enough for his 31 yr old ears... but when he gets on it, there freaking super sweet and he loves them.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with V&H dresser duals and V&H Ovals on my FLHRSI. I've heard this combination on other bikes and the "thump" is there when you want it. The wife has heard this combo also and I have her blessing so all is well.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Could anyone compare the sound of Big Shot Duals with quiet baffles to Dresser Duals with say Oval slip ons? Are there differences in sound and performance between V&H different slip ons, or is it basically just style preference between round, oval, etc. I know they have hi-output stuff, but I just mean between comparable models.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
HD_Matt
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put the Big Shot Duals on my bike this winter with the sert and air cleaner. They are def not the best if you are looking to improve hp/tq, but I am pretty happy with the sound. Mind you it's still winter so i've only been able to get out for a quick ride and run it in the garage.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
So I finally found my new to me Road King Custom, and I should be picking it up next week. Currently the bike has stage 1 done with SE slip-ons and my first impression was that it was too quiet for my liking. ...................................my wife thought they were too loud. She says if I put loud pipes on the King she will be less likely to ride with me, which was part of the reason to upgrade the bike in the first place.
I did the SE's. My impression was the same. But they can grow on you. Give them 6 months and see if you still don't like them. My wife likes them too and has the same view as your wife. Plus I'm not wearing ear plugs either. Yeah when I'm pulling away from some bar's bike night I wish they were louder, but the rest of the time they are fine.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

I really hated the cat in my exhaust so I went with the Cobra cross over headers with the Reinhart slip on's. I really like the sound and there are three different baffles along with running without (like I am doing). My wife and I can talk on our bagger easy but if I decide to crank it up a few notches, I can almost peel paint of the car behind me...

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 AM
skully1200
Road Master

So, I got the bike and haven't got the chance to ride yet, because this winter just will not end. Anyway in just looking at it I can't help but notice a gap in the heat shields behind the footboard. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into Vance and Hines headers, but the gap bugs me, so I'm pretty sure the stock head pipe has to go. Is there anyone who can compare Big Shot Duals with quiet baffles to Dresser duals with Twin slash rounds, or share your experience with either one.