Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket in the summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,810 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Wear an old unlined Brooks leather most all the time,unless it's just bitchin hot.
I wear it for the protection!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to wear leather in the Texas heat for protection--drink plenty of liquids. I don't have the statistics to prove anything but I bet more people in Texas suffer from heat related illness's then road rash. I am content with no sleeves and sun screen but I also keep my *** and other parts off of the pavement.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the stop-n-go city commute all summer and mesh is my answer. I have a vented jacket too, but for the hot days I prefer the all mesh (w/ armor).

Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by asahi1234
I live in Texas. I am curious who wears a leather jacket in the summer time? Do you stay cooler or is it hotter. Curious what people wear. I am new so don't beat me up to much. I am wanting to buy a jacket for the summer riding I just don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for everyones response.
I have a perforated leather jacket, and when it's real hot I use a hydration vest underneath.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Gully
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much stop and go traffic around here for full leather. Must say that I wear a vest in hot weather for that reasons. I have been down before and have the scars already on my arms.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by asahi1234
I live in Texas. I am curious who wears a leather jacket in the summer time? Do you stay cooler or is it hotter. Curious what people wear. I am new so don't beat me up to much. I am wanting to buy a jacket for the summer riding I just don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for everyones response.
Perforated leather can be fairly cool but not as cool as mesh gear. Cheap mesh gear sucks for protection though (avoid joe rocket, tourmaster, first gear etc). Make sure you get ballistic nylon or better yet Cordura with mesh. Any jacket that costs less than $200MSRP probably is polyester. Recommend Olympia, Rev'It, Vanison.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
not lecturing - just curious. Why the novelty? To get by helmet law? Just curious on why some wear those. Here in Ohio there is no law....but I still see some wearing them.
The DOT 1/2 helmets are stupid huge and bulky. Most cops here don't really frown on the novelty helmets on HD riders. They usually stop you if your doing something else stupid like unsafe passing or outrageous speeding. they offer little protection if you go down, but better than head on pavement. maybe why some in your area where them.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by olddude48
If I could find a mesh jacket with armor that was comfortable,I would wear one!
I wear leather when 70 or below and a T shirt and High vis vest when it's hot. Try to stay out of stop and go traffic!
it doesn't match the "Harley Look" but Dianese makes a VERY comfy mesh jacket... but it is stupid pricey.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KING'S RIDE
The DOT 1/2 helmets are stupid huge and bulky. Most cops here don't really frown on the novelty helmets on HD riders. They usually stop you if your doing something else stupid like unsafe passing or outrageous speeding. they offer little protection if you go down, but better than head on pavement. maybe why some in your area where them.
The cops may not do anything, but the insurance companies may not want to pay off if not using a DOT helmet and involved in a crash.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
If you are going to wear leather in the Texas heat for protection--drink plenty of liquids. I don't have the statistics to prove anything but I bet more people in Texas suffer from heat related illness's then road rash. I am content with no sleeves and sun screen but I also keep my *** and other parts off of the pavement.
What he said.There is no was in hadies I'd be wearing any kind of jacket in the blistering heat of summer here.Bring plenty of gatorade & drink it between stops or you'll end up like a piece of beef jerky!

Quick Reply: Leather jacket in the summer