Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket in the summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another fashion thread for people who like to lecture and argue with anyone who doesn't agree with them...

Hot Damn!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Mesh.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KING'S RIDE
temps < 70 leather Jacket, 3/4 helmet, full finger gloves.
temps 70's - low 80's long sleve and vest, novelty helmet or 3/4. full finger gloves.
mid 80's - 90's vest over t-shirt, novelty helmet, fingerless gloves.
mid 90's+ t-shirt only, novelty helmet, fingerless gloves.
steel toe boots all the time.
gets hot here in so cal. wish I could do shorts, but a bad burn to my right calf made sure i'll never do that again.

and before you start lecturing me, yeah I know novelty helmets are a bad idea, and so is riding in a t-shirt only, my mother tells me the same thing. I don't listen to her so what makes you think i'm gonna listen to you.
not lecturing - just curious. Why the novelty? To get by helmet law? Just curious on why some wear those. Here in Ohio there is no law....but I still see some wearing them.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KING'S RIDE
temps < 70 leather Jacket, 3/4 helmet, full finger gloves.
temps 70's - low 80's long sleve and vest, novelty helmet or 3/4. full finger gloves.
mid 80's - 90's vest over t-shirt, novelty helmet, fingerless gloves.
mid 90's+ t-shirt only, novelty helmet, fingerless gloves.
steel toe boots all the time.
gets hot here in so cal. wish I could do shorts, but a bad burn to my right calf made sure i'll never do that again.

and before you start lecturing me, yeah I know novelty helmets are a bad idea, and so is riding in a t-shirt only, my mother tells me the same thing. I don't listen to her so what makes you think i'm gonna listen to you.
Same here.....novelty helmet is good for those big-*** June bugs and keeping the sun off my thinning hair dome

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
TxHaas
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Summer Heat... I survive it...

I live in Dallas. Summer heat: If you ride in town No jacket at all (mesh or leather), just a long sleeve thin shirt. You WILL come out of a jacket unless you use a cool vest. In the country, mesh only. Too damn hot for anything leather!

Stay hydrated. I carry a bottle of water between my windshield and handlebars and a water misting bottle in my cupholder and spray myself if I'm sitting in traffic... you wouldn't believe the people that eyeball it and ask to use it! just be sure and reapply sunblock afterwards and also sunblock every 1.5 -2 hours will keep you from burning. Cool your skid lid with a mist of water and try a wet bandana on your head. I've had heat stroke before.... the more skin showing the hotter you will be.

There are sunblocks in a chapstick looking applicator that fit great in your windshield bag or tank bag. You can apply going down the road and no slimy fingers.

I'm a chick so I wear a transparent long sleeve shirt, no gloves, wet bandana, and always my cowboy boots!

Carol

Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

No jacket when it's hot.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Another fashion thread for people who like to lecture and argue with anyone who doesn't agree with them...

Hot Damn!

with ya there

Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Novelty helmet 99.9% of the time, I own a DOT 1/2 helmet but it's hot and heavy, my German style novelty lit is light and a fraction of the weight...(I've got neck issues from wearing a heavy leather fire helmet for the last 25+ years).....

As for a jacket....heavy leather from fall til spring, when it gets hot it's a leather vest over whatever shirt the ambient temperature dictates, when it gets real hot it's a t-shirt only.....

Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHaas
I live in Dallas. Summer heat: If you ride in town No jacket at all (mesh or leather), just a long sleeve thin shirt. You WILL come out of a jacket unless you use a cool vest. In the country, mesh only. Too damn hot for anything leather!

Stay hydrated. I carry a bottle of water between my windshield and handlebars and a water misting bottle in my cupholder and spray myself if I'm sitting in traffic... you wouldn't believe the people that eyeball it and ask to use it! just be sure and reapply sunblock afterwards and also sunblock every 1.5 -2 hours will keep you from burning. Cool your skid lid with a mist of water and try a wet bandana on your head. I've had heat stroke before.... the more skin showing the hotter you will be.

There are sunblocks in a chapstick looking applicator that fit great in your windshield bag or tank bag. You can apply going down the road and no slimy fingers.

I'm a chick so I wear a transparent long sleeve shirt, no gloves, wet bandana, and always my cowboy boots!

Carol

You're a chick so you wear a transparent long sleeve shirt. I like that. Hope to see you on the road someday. I'll be the guy wearing a tee shirt, bandana (do-rag), shades, fingerless gloves, Levi's or Wranglers and cowboy boots.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

I just bought a mesh jacket, but I always wore leather in the summer for longer rides. If you get one with lots of vents, and no liner, or a removable liner, it should be bearable. I actually did find it a little better as long as your moving. It keeps the sun off your skin, but in traffic, forget about it.

Quick Reply: Leather jacket in the summer