General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is True-Track a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I get rear steer on my 2010 fxdc, but rather than try to correct it with a true track I decided to learn to ride the bike instead. That said I may still get a true track in the future but for now I am happy to get to know the bike. Putting on a true track now will result in having to relearn the bike all over again.

I have some friends that swear by the TT. I have riden a bike fitted with the TT and there is a noticeable difference, but not so much that you cant learn to ride without a TT, and IMHO you're better off learn all your bikes characteristics first.

Just my .02 cents

Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know where most of you guys ride where you can do 80mph on a sweeper. There sure aren't any roads around here you can do that on. At least not on a Harley. Around here, before the swingarm starts to even think about flexing, other more important, parts are going to be dragging on the pavement.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,459 Likes on 2,599 Posts

I've seen the effects twice riding with a friend that has an 05 Dyna.Once it jumped out thru a sweeping right turn at about 55 the posted speed limit and once at 30 or so thru a set of switch backs. The rider caught the bike and saved it both times.We put a TrueTrac on and haven't had another issue.For you guys that think it won't happen to you it just hasn't happened to you yet.It's a design problem that has been covered pretty well.As far a squeaking and rattling installed correctly you won't find this an issue.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad it worked out well for your friend, and not saying that TT and other stabilizers aren't good products, but have to disagree with a couple points in your post.

I don't buy the one "... it just hasn't happened to you yet". Guys I ride with haven't felt the need for a TT and we've put tens of thousands of miles on our bikes.

Also, maybe not "squeaking and rattling" as you mentioned, but according to Bert Baker a respected authority who endorses the TT in baggers, riders should expect an increase in vibration.

Originally Posted by back again
I've seen the effects twice riding with a friend that has an 05 Dyna.Once it jumped out thru a sweeping right turn at about 55 the posted speed limit and once at 30 or so thru a set of switch backs. The rider caught the bike and saved it both times.We put a TrueTrac on and haven't had another issue.For you guys that think it won't happen to you it just hasn't happened to you yet.It's a design problem that has been covered pretty well.As far a squeaking and rattling installed correctly you won't find this an issue.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
tigerapple
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TruTrak

The opinions seems splitted between the two camps: those who have fitted the trutrak swears by its effectiveness n there is the other camp that have the opinion that this is a waste of $ and life goes on without one. I have read a couple of threads related to this and will continue to to read on. Going to take over a '07 StreetBob n have not made up my mind whether i should get this installed. It is alot of $$$... I will probably ride it for a couple of months before making a decision.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one from a forum member that had designed his own version. It is high quality with a nice black powder coat. I'll look him up if some of you are still interested. Anyways, I took mine off because the heim joints were squeaking when I'd it bumps or washboards. A few days later I did a group ride to Brussels, BE varying 70-80mph and was getting wobble like crazy. I took it home and checked my air pressure and neck bearing. All was good. I put the brace back on and hit the E19 one more time. This bit$h is rock solid. I shot the heims with WD40 and no more squeak either.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Friend of mine who has to have the latest and greatest of everything, took his off. It interfered with his center stand and made his bike sqeak at every little bump in the road.
It's ironic that the Moco advertised improved frames for '09 and up, and then this crap comes out. I put 2500 miles on a rented (fly-n-ride) '09, and couldn't wait to get back on my lowered, old-fashioned Electra-Glide.

One way of avoiding "rear steer" is not to enter a curve at 80 mph. And it's free. Duh.
Waste of money, IMO.
Actually these products have been around long before the 09 and up frames were. Also, this problem does get worse with more miles as the rubber bushings in the rear swing arms wear in. BTW, where do you find interstates that have absolutely no curves? It's obvious that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I purchased a different product manufactured by a forum member for around $180. So I didn't even spend much money; as another member suggested we all wanted to justify wasting our money on the brace.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I just don't ride hard enough, but I've put 12,700 miles on my FXD and never had a handling issue. It plows through sweepers, twisties and straightaways like a champ. I try to ride (sanely) within the bikes (and my) limits and it hasn't let me down. If I were interested in knee dragging and racing, I wouldn't upgrade my Dyna, I'd trade it for a sport bike.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,459 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Buddy that the instances I'm talking about is a very conservative non aggressive rider.Weather you buy it or not bigdaddy it happens..I'll say the same thing it just hasn't happened to you yet.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 AM
dtone72rss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't blast through every turn and I definitely get the wobble. I am an experianced rider and I know my bikes limits. The true track 20-30 kit is sitting on my dresser waiting to be installed this weekend. I will let u all know the truth when I take the bike to lake issabell on the 178

Quick Reply: Is True-Track a good idea?