General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is True-Track a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

My wife had it recently installed on her Dyna but she has to wait for the snow to leave before she can test it. Her bike is slammed and she does say it wobbles a bit during cornering. I've heard it works best on Dynas that have been lowered in the rear, she want's the safest ride she can have on a Harley like her's and that's what I,d want for her also.
My Fatbob has never had any handling issues what so ever, cept scraping the forward mount pegs and I can't go with mid mounts because my knees are trashed from hockey.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Virgilio
Hi friends,

I just bought a 2009 FXDC and wonder about this True-Track. They say it prevents that rear shaking (or whatever you call it in english).
I´ve been thinking about it cause I´m going to NY soon and it´s my only chance to get it for a decent price (I´m from Brazil).
What do you think? It costs around 400 USD. Is it worth it?

Thank you guys!!!

Virgilio
I bought the Progressive pro link two years ago in Laconia. On the way home I immediately noticed the difference. Whatever is said about riding style, cornering ,braking etc. is irrelevent if the same person on the same bike feels the differnce as you have eliminated the variables

Also- A year later while riding some twisty roads I noticed my bike felt spongy in the corners. Later that day I looked under bike and the bolt in the knucle backed out ( there was no locktite put on it). I tightened the bolt back in and again noticed the difference immediately. So in my opinion the pro link is a good product. Whether they all work as well I wouldn't know.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Virgilio
Intermediate

Hey guys, thank you a lot. You´re great.

Well, I just bought my bike and didn´t ride enough to notice something wrong (besides, I ain´t got experience to tell).

Anyway, I can say it´s a personal thing as I could read many different opinions.

Well, I will try to ride a bit more and will also check this progressive link. I still have some weeks to decide.

Drew, thank you, it´s good to know I can have it shipped to Brazil. I will think it over, ok?

Thank you guys.

Virgilio

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked the same question when I bought my 2010 Super Glide (seeing all the fearful ads and testimonials).

I've now had the bike about a year and a half, live in the mountains (and it ain't the only bike I own, and I've quite a few miles under my belt). In my opinion, the factory stock Dyna's handle quite well in the twisties, at high speed, in mountain terrain, and if the rear tire is in alignment, there's NO need for a stabilizer. In fact, I suspect that a fair number of stabilizers are sold to people who ride (because of inexperience) in a very tentative manner (decelerating in the curves), which only adds to ANY bike's instability.

Get used to your bike before you decide to add a bunch of clap-trap to what is a very well engineered riding machine.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Virgilio
Intermediate

Yeah, that´s a good point. I don´t intend to ride fast, no way, I´m still learning. Maybe I should spend my money in more useful parts.

Thanks for telling me your case.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,709 Likes on 2,127 Posts

I don't understand the posters with opinions about something they say they have no experience with, it doesn't make sense.

My old bagger did not have one and it wallowed in the curves even after many parts (tires, neck bearings, swingarm bushings, front engine mount) were replaced by the guys who claimed they knew what the problem was.

My current bagger has one and it is solid as a rock (70 K on the odometer). My bike is lowered and it corners extremely well, but it may scrape depending on how aggressively you ride. Based on my before and after experience, I would buy it again.

Attached Thumbnails Is True-Track a good idea?-true-track.jpg  

Last edited by rizzo; 03-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM
TxEasyGlider
Cruiser

Ordering mine tonight. '08 Street Glide. Called TT hoping for a sale or discount, no luck. But it is $20 cheaper if ordered online vs over the phone. I have two big rides coming up in the next two months, will report back after the Houston-Vegas-Denver-Houston trip approx 6k. Should have an opinion by then.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Virgilio
Intermediate

Yes, let me know your impressions, ok?

I didn´t have the chance to ride the bike for a long time, so still not able to decide

I still got 1 month. Should be enough. I hope so...

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn to ride your bike. If you are gonna enter Daytona and race then maybe it will help. For normal street riding I think it's just another gimmick. The guys who swear by them I think are afraid to say they spent a pile of money and didn't get a nite and day difference. Years back there was the front fork stabilizers. I have had several baggers and lets get real, they are like old Cadillacs. They are not ment to be raced. That being said does not mean scraping the floor boards now and then won't happen. But riding hard and scaping boards I have never felt any wibble wobble. But then being a bagger I can pump up my shocks so they are stiff. I know some guys will keep the pressure in their shocks real low, why, I don't know why. When my pressure is low then yeah it gets a litte wishy washy in cornering. It's the same as having a car with good shocks and one that has old wornout shocks. As far as the Dyna I don't know anyone who has one. Just seems like a lot of money for something that is not going to pay out in everyday normal riding.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
tandjdad
Advanced

I asked about the Tru Trak for my Dyna as well, they said it was a better fit for the guys on baggers not so much so on the Dynas. Invested my money in suspension upgrades instead..just my .02

Quick Reply: Is True-Track a good idea?