General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed Tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

got a nail in my nearly new rear tire last year and a local indy shop put a tube in it. probably have about 1500 miles on it now and had forgot about it until i read this thread. I have done the same thing in the past without a problem. Cant see replacing a near new tire over a nail.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorbones
The tire is the rear tire of a Road King (180/65B1681H). It's the original tire and has just under 5K on it and still has at least half the tread life left.... the screw is in the groove at about 45 degrees from from the mid-line so the plug won't come into contact with the road at any time. That makes me feel more assured...
Your thinking is quite flawed--the sidewall is the very LAST place you'd want a plug/patch. It would be rather false economy to risk your life to save such a small amount of money.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The danger from the plug, and the reluctance of any indy to implement such a repair, has less to do with the actual risk, than the high probability that should an accident happen, some scum-sucking attorney will sue them out of existence. In other words, there's virtually no upside for anybody to fix your tire. Your cheapskate eternal gratitude don't make their house payments.

Thank the law schools for pumping out so many shitbags, the legislatures (largely populated by attorneys) for failing to enact tort reform, and a population that perceives every accident as their high-probability lotto chance at riches.

And to top the whole thing off, even if you personally decline to pursue a civil claim associated with injuries or damages, your insurance coverage (employer medical, vehicle coverage...whatever) allows them to make that decision....they have a right (which you provided as a condition of coverage) to sue to recover their costs even if you don't want the vendor sued.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Andjh123
Tourer

I had a large screw dead center in the rear tire of mine last year and plugged it. The plug came out at some point and the tire resumed leaking air--nothing dramatic. I put two plugs in the hole along with a bunch of glue and it lasted the remaining life of the tire (a few thousand miles). Going along with the poster above, of course if I held liability for telling you whether or not to use a plug, I'm going to err on the side of caution and tell you to buy another tire from me instead.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

With out a doubt I'd plug it. Check the pressure often for a week or two.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Thank you everyone for your input. Just for he sake o discussion, hte screw isn't in the sidewall, not is it directly on the bottom. I have three choices so I think I'll sleep on it and make my decision in the morning. Whatever I decide, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
The only only other thing I'll add is I will research what the probability of the tire outright blowing over using a plug, using an internal fix with a tube and see what the replacement cost is. I should have 5-7K miles left on the tire as far as wear goes. My wife and I are planning a 2-up long trip in about 2-4 months from now and will most definitely replace it then, if not tomorrow. Thanks again...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Would you want your heart surgeon to just plug your heart? If Walmart offered heart surgery would you go to them? Yes, I am in the tire business, but patching a car/truck is at least giving you 75% chance if the tire fails, on a bike it is 50%. Are you feeling lucky, ... well are you???? Do you have kids? Would you feel safe if the bus that they are riding in had tires that were plugged, especially the front (which by the way in most stated is illegal to run front tires that are repaired)? I realize that tires are not cheap and yes many of you have had luck running them with plugs, but when you have a catasophic failure who are you (or your attorney) going to blame. Let's face it, bikes are not necessarily a main source of transportation, they are considered a "rv" or other words a luxury (many of you will disagree, but that is the simple fact). We spend anywhere from $12,000 to $35,000 on our bikes and we are going to complain about a $150 tire????? I am not trying to make the case for always buying a replacement, but prior to jumping on the band wagon that they can be safely repaired and leading people down the path I am suggesting that it should be a personal decision. What is the peace of mind worth to you???

I myself would replace the tire, but that is me. If your comfortable running a patched or plugged tire go for it. But if it fails don't blame anyone but yourself. It is called accountability, something this society has abandoned big time!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What's the big deal with plugging a MC tire? Are they that much different than a car/truck tire? I've patched bike tires and replaced the tube before and never had an issue. And I have logged thousands of miles on car/truck tires that were plugged without ever a failure due to the repair.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I carry a mushroom plug kit and an air compressor with me at all times in case of a flat on mag wheels.

I'll only leave the plug in long enough to get somewhere to replace the tire. With the stresses put on a motorcycle tire, I prefer the peace of mind.

If the tire goes flat at speed or in a tight corner (or both), it may cost a lot more than a new tire to get me and the bike repaired.

Quick Reply: Screwed Tire