General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE! EZ-UP fails and NO warranty offered....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Having worked in manufacturing I see both sides of this. I worked for a company who made, amoung other things, nitromethane bruning air-cooled engines for Radio Controlled cars. We had a two year warranty on these engines and many times we received engines that the customer had sworn had been used correctly (ran only with an air filter on, never overheated and never ran too lean) only to find evidence to the contrary. For instance, if all the screws are in place, how does DIRT get into the engine if the air filter is in place correctly (which on these is not hard to do). If it was never overheated then why is the normally purple anodized cylindar head now silver at the bottom and pink at the top (a sign of the head getting to around 400 degrees...should never see anything over 280 or so). If it was never ran lean then why was the main needle, when we received it at our office, set to 0.5 turns out from closed? (In the thousands of these engines we had seen every engine who's needle was below 1.5 turns from closed ran lean.)

Now, at the same time, we would STILL cover those engines under warranty to keep the customer happy. We would tell them what we found, explain how to prevent the problem in the future, and let them know when their new engine would arrive. It's simply a matter of taking care of your customer.

Now with something as simple as a center stand short of bashing it against speedbumps while riding or putting too much wieght on it I don't know how it could be abused. That explination I would like to hear too.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by kevmic28
Might be able to take it to a welders shop and have them weld it back for you. may be cheaper and stronger in the long run.
Not the point. Manufacturer has a warranty and should honor it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am kinda out in the cold on this is this a jack, and how much does it cost is it worth the shipping back and forth, or would it be better to take it to a welder

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Glofish88
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not a jack. It's a center stand to park the bike straight up lifting the rear wheel off the ground by about an inch or so. Shipping from Detroit to Oklahoma was around $13 by US Postal Service. It was worth it at the time because Rod said it would be handled under warranty.....and now he went back on his word. So.....

Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
FatJohn
Cruiser

It was guaranteed for the life of the product. The product broke, it's life is now over, and so is the warranty! What's the issue?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Glofish88
Cruiser
Default very funny...

Also, you may note from my signiture that I have DECADES of using a center stand. They come as standard equipment on BMW motorcycles. So to imply that I don not know how to use one or that I may have used it incorrectly is just plain BS.

Rod is simply effing me over by not honoring the "lifetime warranty".

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Had their center stand on my list of mods until I read this. I guess I will hold off on it now. You just saved me almost $300.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a bad weld that had little to no penetration. Fully a warrenty issue since it has to do with issues in craftsmanship.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

I plan to add a Rivco centerstand to my bike. The structural integrity of the EZ-Up pales in comparison to the Rivco. Also, the Rivco lifts a rear wheel off the ground without using a board. Rivco offers a 2-year warranty against defects in workmanship and materials.

Last edited by Geoff; 03-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Him replacing it for you would have cost him less money that your post does. Some times it is easier to just take the loss for the better good of the company.
I'm a retail manager and I've been taught to give the customer the benefit of the doubt and assume they AREN'T trying to rip you off.

Quick Reply: BEWARE! EZ-UP fails and NO warranty offered....