General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good shorty helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good shorty helmet

I'm currently in the market for a shorty helmet. I have a full face helmet that I wear when it's chili out there but with summer drawing near and warm weather on the horizon I've been looking around for a good shorty or half helmet. I would like to get something that is DOT or Snell approved for safety but everything I've checked out so far makes my head look like a mushroom when I strap it on. I like the look of the novelty helmets but i know they lack in protection. I know I have to compromise some of the look for protection but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a helmet that has a super low profile and looks great but also protects? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe that vega half helmets have the smallest profile among dot helmets. Snell not worth it imo . Can actually be worse than dot because they are stiffer .

Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

Thanks for the information. Didn't know that about Snell helmets. I took a look at the Vega helmets as suggested and I really like the look. Not bad pricing either!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Every DOT helmet is going to make you look like a mushroom. Some may be worse than others, but there is no way around it.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Bell Shorty and it has a decent profile to it

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You will not find a shorty (half) helmet that is Snell certified. Just not enough protection to meet the Snell Standards. Only 3/4 and full face will be Snell. The modulars aren't Snell either because of the way the cheek area flexes in order to make the flip up part operable.

It's going to be pretty hard to find a half that won't give you that mushroom head look. But, some do appear slightly less mushroomy than others so hopefully people here can steer you in a good direction. The one in recent years everyone seemed to recommend is no longer being made. ACC helmets. Turned out they weren't DOT after-all. I owned one, but never did feel like it would do much to protect my noggin. Threw it in the garbage last year.

DOT helmets do not go through a testing lab. DOT certs rely on "honor system" and leaves it up to manufacturer to build them in compliance with the DOT standards. They merely have to believe their helmet meets the DOT standards. DOT does do random testings though, which is how the ACC helmets were determined not to meet the standard if I would have to guess. As an FYI...only about half helmets tested actually meet DOT standards (this statistic comes directly from the NHTSA.) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

To get the Snell certification, each helmet and each size of that helmet must go through the Snell lab (Independent) . It is paid for by the manufacturer and is very expensive. http://www.smf.org/
Snell is a not for profit, independent lab. As expensive as it is to get the Snell sticker...that may be just one of several reasons some manufacturers choose not to have their helmets tested. Doesn't necessarily mean a particular helmet wouldn't have passed nor does it mean that a non-Snell helmet wouldn't do an equally good job of protecting you in a crash as a Snell helmet.

We have more than one ff in the household and not all are Snell. Can't feel one iota of difference between them all other than "fit". The non-Snell HJC is awesome. It might even meet Snell standards, but maybe HJC didn't want to spend the $$ to get the certification.

**as far as the poster talking about Snell helmets being "stiffer" and that could be "worse", I've read a good bit of crash data stuff and studies regarding helmet safety based on crash data and haven't ever seen anything pointing to helmet stiffness being a negative. Personally, I don't want my helmet to flex if it's going to hit the pavement. Maybe in some instances it could be a negative, but I'd imagine those statistics would be in line with statistics for those rare time where seat-belts are a liability. Even if you're talking about stiffness having to do with comfort ( keep focused boys...we're still talking about HELMETS!) I haven't noticed it in my experience.

I think all of us would agree we look like dorks in our helmets. Personally, I've never seen anyone who looks good wearing one. Put a helmet on the hottest person you can imagine and even they'll look like a dork. I figure it's just part of the deal and I for one don't hold it against anyone. As far as my own-self, I avoid looking in the mirror when I have a helmet on - that way I sort of forget how stupid I look in one!

Now helmet hair is another matter....

Last edited by monstead; 03-21-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,955 Likes on 19,385 Posts

Good post Monstead!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

A helmet dealer related to me that snell helmets have a stiffer shell because they are tested for puncture resistance... A rare occurence in an accident. The thought is that they can transmit more impact to the head/brain than dot only certified helmets. So because they have a significantly higher price , I dont think it's worth it. Not to mention that the while certification process is apparently shadowy and questionable!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by monstead
You will not find a shorty (half) helmet that is Snell certified. Just not enough protection to meet the Snell Standards. Only 3/4 and full face will be Snell. The modulars aren't Snell either because of the way the cheek area flexes in order to make the flip up part operable.

It's going to be pretty hard to find a half that won't give you that mushroom head look. But, some do appear slightly less mushroomy than others so hopefully people here can steer you in a good direction. The one in recent years everyone seemed to recommend is no longer being made. ACC helmets. Turned out they weren't DOT after-all. I owned one, but never did feel like it would do much to protect my noggin. Threw it in the garbage last year.

DOT helmets do not go through a testing lab. DOT certs rely on "honor system" and leaves it up to manufacturer to build them in compliance with the DOT standards. They merely have to believe their helmet meets the DOT standards. DOT does do random testings though, which is how the ACC helmets were determined not to meet the standard if I would have to guess. As an FYI...only about half helmets tested actually meet DOT standards (this statistic comes directly from the NHTSA.) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

To get the Snell certification, each helmet and each size of that helmet must go through the Snell lab (Independent) . It is paid for by the manufacturer and is very expensive. http://www.smf.org/
Snell is a not for profit, independent lab. As expensive as it is to get the Snell sticker...that may be just one of several reasons some manufacturers choose not to have their helmets tested. Doesn't necessarily mean a particular helmet wouldn't have passed nor does it mean that a non-Snell helmet wouldn't do an equally good job of protecting you in a crash as a Snell helmet.

We have more than one ff in the household and not all are Snell. Can't feel one iota of difference between them all other than "fit". The non-Snell HJC is awesome. It might even meet Snell standards, but maybe HJC didn't want to spend the $$ to get the certification.

**as far as the poster talking about Snell helmets being "stiffer" and that could be "worse", I've read a good bit of crash data stuff and studies regarding helmet safety based on crash data and haven't ever seen anything pointing to helmet stiffness being a negative. Personally, I don't want my helmet to flex if it's going to hit the pavement. Maybe in some instances it could be a negative, but I'd imagine those statistics would be in line with statistics for those rare time where seat-belts are a liability. Even if you're talking about stiffness having to do with comfort ( keep focused boys...we're still talking about HELMETS!) I haven't noticed it in my experience.

I think all of us would agree we look like dorks in our helmets. Personally, I've never seen anyone who looks good wearing one. Put a helmet on the hottest person you can imagine and even they'll look like a dork. I figure it's just part of the deal and I for one don't hold it against anyone. As far as my own-self, I avoid looking in the mirror when I have a helmet on - that way I sort of forget how stupid I look in one!

Now helmet hair is another matter....
THanks for all this great info! I always wondered the differences between DOT and Snell rated helmets.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
capstone
Advanced

My novelty helmet weighs 15 oz. The lightest DOT helmet I've found is a daytona half shell at 1.52lbs for the large. If there is a lighter DOT 1/2 I'd like to know which one.

If weight is not a big concern, I like the scorpion exo-100 for comfort and features. It runs closer to 2.5lbs. Looks less mushroom with the visor removed IMO but not bad for a 1/2 helmet look either way.

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good shorty helmet