General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty ? Dealer Messed Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Animalscage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Extended Warranty ? Dealer Messed Up!!

Ok, bought a 3 year extended warranty from local dealer. I purchased a bike new from Rapid City Harley in Aug. of 09. Factory warranty will be up Aug. of this year. Called a dealer in Mn. and purchased a 3 yr warranty for $800.00. The start date of the warranty is Aug. 5 2011 and runs through Aug. 4 2014. I signed the contract as well as finance manager. Now I get a call that he screwed up and the three year warranty starts from the date I purchased the bike so he expects me to cancel the warranty as it's only for really only 1 yr. I have called other dealers and was told the contract I signed is a legal and binding contract. They are going to have to eat the added expence. Any other addvice from the HD family would be appreciated... I have a contract that states it is a new bike extended 3yr warranty. That's what I expect!!!

Last edited by Animalscage; 03-20-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I would check with a local attorney first, but I'm sure that he would tell you that you have a signed contract, and to stand your ground. If the dealer gives you any trouble on this matter then refer him to your attorney.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

the ESP starts after the original warranty runs out...

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

I am sure i heard somewhere about being able to buy a longer warranty as long as it was done before the original one expired. Seems to me that thats what you've done, you should tell the dealership that you are happy with the extended warranty you bought and will keep it, and expect them to honour thier contract if anything happens between the dates on the contract. if anything does happen and they try to play games tell them to expect a lawsuit.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yep, you have them by the ***** on this one. Always saddens me to read in here how a lot of Harley dealers treat their customers nowadays

Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

Do read all the printing of the contract and maybe call the warranty administer directly to ask questions. I too believe the warrant starts at the expiration of your original 2 year warranty. So your total is five years. $800 sounds like a the regular price for this.

$800 for 1 year is not.

You could consider voiding the warranty and getting a full refund (and a $200 in dealer clothes allowance - for their screwing up).

If you do not void (or use a different dealer if you keep) the selling dealer may not be to enthused to work on your bike.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 03-20-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: peslling
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Animalscage
Ok, bought a 3 year extended warranty from local dealer. I purchased a bike new from Rapid City Harley in Aug. of 09. Factory warranty will be up Aug. of this year. Called a dealer in Mn. and purchased a 3 yr warranty for $800.00. The start date of the warranty is Aug. 5 2011 and runs through Aug. 4 2014. I signed the contract as well as finance manager. Now I get a call that he screwed up and the three year warranty starts from the date I purchased the bike so he expects me to cancel the warranty as it's only for really only 1 yr. I have called other dealers and was told the contract I signed is a legal and binding contract. They are going to have to eat the added expence. Any other addvice from the HD family would be appreciated... I have a contract that states it is a new bike extended 3yr warranty. That's what I expect!!!
It's not a new bike extended 3 yr warranty because in order to be a new bike coverage, it has to be contracted when the bike is delivered or no later than 90 days after the bike is delivered, and only if the bike has less than 2,000 miles when you contract.
So in your case, it's a used bike 3-year extended warranty which will start when your mfg warranty expires. 3 years for $800 is a heck of a deal so I'm sure the dealer is p*ssed that he made such a mistake. List price for 3-year coverage on a used bike is $1,109.
Just make sure he's not going to screw you down the road by denying coverage if something breaks, that's all.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting dilemma. This is a legal question for sure. However, if the dealer is ASKING for you to void the agreement then it would seem the contract is valid or he would not be asking to cancel the agreement. The fact remains, you have a binding agreement and unless that agreement specifically speaks to the issue that the extended warranty is from the originally purchase date it would seem they have a problem not you. I am sure you have done so, but the first step is to fully read the extended warranty to see what the agreement says about the time period FROM which the new warranty starts. Frenchbiker makes a good point as well about the 90 day from date of purchase and the 2000 mile limitations. From a lay persons viewpoint, you have a pretty good case.

Last edited by Terrabella; 03-20-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mistakes are made. I wouldn't cancel, but I would see about working something out with the dealership if you like them and plan to keep going back. Otherwise, you're liable to have a whole string of problems pop up every time you take it in. You'd think most people would be above that, but, not always. I'd work with them so you're both not screwed too badly on the deal.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The warranty should be honered at any dealership,right?

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty ? Dealer Messed Up!!