General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty ? Dealer Messed Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its one of those h.d warranty`s any h.d dealer will honor it, if its a in house warranty you will have trouble down the road, if you feel it is a mistake and you believe it is than you should do the right thing and try and work with the dealer, guys slam dealers all the time for not doing the right thing, so if you in fact have a paper but KNOW it wasen`t meant to be that and in fact was a simple mistake would you want the dealer to make it right if the shoe was on the other foot ?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a legal question for sure. However, if the dealer is ASKING for you to void the agreement then it would seem the contract is valid or he would not be asking to cancel the agreement.
I'd have a hard time caving in to the dealerships request.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Animalscage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased the Extended Service Plan we both (me & the finance manager) understood it was a three year warranty starting the 5th of August 2011 as my factory warranty expires the 4th of August 2011. On the contract he put the date of 8/5/2011 in the Effective Date (IN SERVICE) box. In the Expiration Date box the date is 08/04/2014. It is a New Motorcycle warranty. It states that if your motorcycle is over 90 days old or over 2000 miles there is a surcharge for a "New Motorcycle coverage. We also talked about that too. He said the $795.00 included the surcharge for it to be a new motorcycle policy. I understand there are mistakes made, if it was on the other foot would they be willing to lose money?? If I bought a bike and another dealer had it cheaper would they refund the difference?? I purchased the ESP and the dealer sold the ESP understanding it was a extension of my warranty when my factory warranty expires. So I would have a total of 5yrs of coverage. It also states that YOUR coverage begins on the effective date (IN SERVICE DATE) for New Motorcycle coverage. Expiration of coverage is determined by the expiration date indicated above. Again, in that box the date is 08/04/2014.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

If you do force them to honor it, I'd be hesitant to let them do the actual repairs.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Animalscage
When I purchased the Extended Service Plan we both (me & the finance manager) understood it was a three year warranty starting the 5th of August 2011 as my factory warranty expires the 4th of August 2011. On the contract he put the date of 8/5/2011 in the Effective Date (IN SERVICE) box. In the Expiration Date box the date is 08/04/2014. It is a New Motorcycle warranty. It states that if your motorcycle is over 90 days old or over 2000 miles there is a surcharge for a "New Motorcycle coverage. We also talked about that too. He said the $795.00 included the surcharge for it to be a new motorcycle policy. I understand there are mistakes made, if it was on the other foot would they be willing to lose money?? If I bought a bike and another dealer had it cheaper would they refund the difference?? I purchased the ESP and the dealer sold the ESP understanding it was a extension of my warranty when my factory warranty expires. So I would have a total of 5yrs of coverage. It also states that YOUR coverage begins on the effective date (IN SERVICE DATE) for New Motorcycle coverage. Expiration of coverage is determined by the expiration date indicated above. Again, in that box the date is 08/04/2014.

Well, at the very least, they'll be changing the form they use.

As for you, I'd check with a lawyer to be sure he doesn't spot something you're overlooking, or can be interpreted differently. Then make your choice. Like I said above, be prepared to get the shittiest service available if you force them to abide by the contract. It may not happen, but it could.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Well, at the very least, they'll be changing the form they use.

As for you, I'd check with a lawyer to be sure he doesn't spot something you're overlooking, or can be interpreted differently. Then make your choice. Like I said above, be prepared to get the shittiest service available if you force them to abide by the contract. It may not happen, but it could.
After further thought, I'd go ahead and let the dealer off the hook, as long as you get every single penny back that you paid towards that extended warranty.

The $800 will go a long way towards paying for any repairs. (or buy lots of beer).
It's clear there was a mistake made, and you likely ain't gonna get real far with a bunch of wasted time fussing with it.
Hard enough to get them guys to honor warranty, now add this little BS to it,...... not worth the grief.
Regardless what that paper says,... after one more year are you gonna feel like you are for sure covered?

Take your money and run. Don't let them upsell you.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with an auto dealer several years ago. I bought a new vehicle, added the extended warranty and thought everything was great. I drove the car for a year and at 14 months I had the engine block crack. I had completed all of the regular maintenance and had records to show it. I had it towed to the dealer and they told me that they had made a mistake and never filed the warranty paperwork. I told them that it did not matter whether they did or not, I had paid and had a signed contract from their representative. They tried to just refund me the cost of the warranty (which would not have covered the replacement of the engine) I refused, and when they would not make it right I went to the local office of the State Attorney General. Amazingly enough they replaced the motor. Then they tried to tell me that the motor was covered for 12K miles and that there was no warranty left. I told them that they were wrong and did I need to make a few more calls. They backed off. I sold the car soon after. I think they pocketed the money thinking that I would never use the warranty. Thieving people. I would not have thought so if they had handled the situation differently. I sure let everyone I knew about the experience and to not buy anything from them. So my .02 is do not let them off of the hook!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aye if they signed it already then bam its a legal contract.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
After further thought, I'd go ahead and let the dealer off the hook, as long as you get every single penny back that you paid towards that extended warranty.

The $800 will go a long way towards paying for any repairs. (or buy lots of beer).
It's clear there was a mistake made, and you likely ain't gonna get real far with a bunch of wasted time fussing with it.
Hard enough to get them guys to honor warranty, now add this little BS to it,...... not worth the grief.
Regardless what that paper says,... after one more year are you gonna feel like you are for sure covered?

Take your money and run. Don't let them upsell you.
FWIW, I feel the same way. People are people, they make mistakes, heaven knows I have made my share. Take your money back, shake hands and move on.
Peace

Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Animalscage
You are right, my bad. Your ESP coverage is a New motorcycle coverage. I thought it was the used bike coverage but I was wrong.

I re-read my ESP Contract (I have a 5-year ESP bought the same day as the bike) and it says. "A new motorcycle is one, which, at the contract sale date, still retains some coverage under the Harley Davidson new factory warranty. A surcharge is required in order to cover any motorcycle for which the contract sale date is greater than 90 days from the in-service date or the mileage at the time of the sale is greater than 2,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

I thought a new bike ESP had to be purchased either when the bike was new or less than 90 days after the bike was delivered. In fact, you can buy it as long as the bike is under mfg warranty which means less than 2 years old, and it doesn't even matter if you're the original owner of the bike or not. So a used bike bought with some mfg warranty left on it qualifies for a new bike ESP.

I learned something today.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty ? Dealer Messed Up!!