General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pucker factor on first rides of the season

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011 | 01:43 AM
lastson
|
Tourer
Default Pucker factor on first rides of the season

Wind has been strong here the last few days, took it out yesterday (friday) with my father-in-law and his new SuperGlide. Was awesome something i wish me and my old man could have done together. Great ride about an hour and half it was 74 but the cold ran in after sun went down so brought it home. Then today took another but difference in temp and wind. Now on my re-learn bike my 750 Intruder wind would blow me all over but on the deuce not so much....until i hit some 15 mph at least, cross winds. that was fun. then on the way home soft reverse S curve and on the way out of the top of the S wind hit me and blew me up the lane to the edge. i had a good lean and im pretty damn strong and it was till fighting me. PUcker factor was maxed out then, even felt the cold HOLY **** chill.

SO my question is how many of you, new to riding/just getting back into it like me/seasoned vets. How many get the pucker factor or nervous on the first couple rides of the new season. And for the old road dawgs is this something that goes away with time.

exp on bike road from 16-19 went in the army, rode again from 22-25 then took about 8 years off. now 33 felt like a huge puss from getting spooked.

Old 03-20-2011 | 02:13 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't really stop riding, or if I do, not for long. Certainly, if I don't ride for a while, there is a bit of a "getting your sea legs back" feeling that goes on, but not to the point of a pucker factor. It's like riding a bike. : )

Old 03-20-2011 | 04:12 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

I rode in 1985 for a season and not again until last year. When I took my MSF course last summer, our instructor emphasized that come spring time your skills will be a bit rusty. (assuming one lives in cold country) Makes sense to me. I wouldn't worry. I have yet to get my bike out of storage. When I do hop on for first time this year, I will start slow and hit parking lot to practice skills I learned last year... then hit the streets.

Old 03-20-2011 | 06:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Just like riding a bike.

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:38 AM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Been riding off and on since 1983, however my latest bike just purchased about 2 weeks ago is my first full size H-D.....2003 Fat Boy. Previous to that I had an 883 Sportster, add to that a 9 year riding hiatus between the 2 bikes.
Like previous posters here have said, "it's like riding a bicycle", and there's some "getting your sea legs back"....
I was a little rusty on my take off's, stalled the bike a couple of times, and taking off slow on a turn required some extra attention on my part, beyond that it wasn't long before I got my sea legs back. Then I put my wife on the back, and the re-learning curve started up again. Took a short trip, then a slightly longer trip, then yesterday took a 60 mile run with her, and now I'm fairly confident and comfortable with her on the back with me. The last time my wife rode with me was before we were married in 1987, we were both far lighter in weight, and on a Triumph 750, now it's more of learning to balance the added weight....(and getting her to sit still on that P-pad)......

Old 03-20-2011 | 10:18 AM
cary713
Cruiser

I've been riding 3 years now. I only pause in the winter when there's ice on the road, but after not riding for about 2 months this winter, it took a few miles to really feel 'at one' with the bike again.
Every once in a great while I did have a day where I just felt slightly awkward - like I just happened to be on top of the bike while it was going down the road. This feeling got less frequent with more experience, though.

I do get pretty puckered up in high wind, or when I hit an unexpected patch of ice on a day when I thought it would be OK to ride to work.

Old 03-20-2011 | 10:29 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

The pucker factor will keep you alive like fear keeps cops and combat vets alive. Try to ride in more ideal weather and find an empty parking lot to do slow speed cornors and quick stops. The comfort will come in time be patient and keep your head on the swivle. Enjoy rideing again and good luck.

Old 03-20-2011 | 10:30 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member

"And from one of the old road dawgs"
Well, when we used to have horses, their 1st spring ride was usually exciting and you could say there was pucker factor. I always rode them knowing that there could be a wreck. Riding my scooter is about the same feeling but I try not to let it interfear with the enjoyment. I'm thinking that's the way we all might ride? Maybe a little pucker factor is a good thing??
Doug

Old 03-20-2011 | 10:41 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I am always uber careful my first time or two. This year it has been since early November since the last time I was riding so I may be a bit out of practice.

Old 03-20-2011 | 10:57 AM
firefighter616
Club Member

Been riding since the 70s
last couple of years the innate muscle memory has to be relearned a little every year.
I imagine it's just part of the aging process, so I go to an empty lot and practice my slow speed maneuvers.

Quick Reply: Pucker factor on first rides of the season