Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only the well trained eye can tell the difference.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I am surprised he doesn't haev a clause in his contract prohibiting ridingmotorcycles.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 579 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I am surprised he doesn't haev a clause in his contract prohibiting ridingmotorcycles.
Ask the Cleveland Browns about Kellen Winslow, Wrecked a sport bike in a parking lot and only played in 2 games his first 2 years. Shoulda had a clause.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Nice - did he pass?
It wasn't pass / fail, it was all about teaching him the proper techniques and tactics to become a safer and better rider. One of the many things that bothered me back when I was an MSF Rider Coach was the number of students who passed the final evaluation, but were in no way prepared to ride on the street. The fact that Fili was able to do the all LAPD mazes, perform a full lock u-turn on a hill, make a sharp right hand turn off a steep incline onto a busy street, were good indicators that he had the proper command and control of the bike. Out in traffic he never "walked the dog or skied to red lights". When he made u-turns he kept them tight and didn't wander out into the next lane. He rode the bike, the bike did not ride him.

One of the benefits of working with someone who has no riding experience is that he did not have any habits or preconcieved limitations in is head. Take the full lock u-turn on the hill as an example. I've had other riders say "I've NEVER had to do that before, why should I do it now?", or "You want me to do THAT?". No, he just listened to my explanations, followed my instructions and after a dozen or so tries began to get it.

Of course the key to all of this is regular practice to keep your skills from deteriorating. And being a professional athlete he understands that.

Mark

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigal51
Ask the Cleveland Browns about Kellen Winslow, Wrecked a sport bike in a parking lot and only played in 2 games his first 2 years. Shoulda had a clause.
Or Karl Kasaulke of the Vikings. Tragic story there.

I asked him about the clauses. About being limited from skydiving, scuba diving, hang gliding, parasailing, zip line running, car racing or motorcycling. He said most agents don't do that because they realize that players like to have an enjoyable life away from the game. However the high profile, all about me, always in the news, bad boy jocks, their the ones who give the league, their team, and their agents headaches. Their the ones who end up with clauses. Out here in LA it's the same thing with celebs. Guys like Jay Leno, Tom Cruise, Stallone and them guys all ride bikes. Some like Stallone and Arnold have an "Entourage" for protection, but others just ride. It may give the studio and their agents fits, but it's a risk they are willing to take. Most celebs like full face helmets because they can hide from the paparazzi better.

Some pro athletes have clauses against playing in celebrity fund raisers or pick up basketball games. That's why they show up for the dinner and charity, but pass on the event. It's too risky for them to be banging elbows with street hacks. I'm probably wrong but I think back in the 80s during one of those made for TV "Battle of the NFL Stars" contests, Willie Gault of the Bears pulled a hamstring racing the 40 yard dash against Darrell Green of the Redskins. After that he never did one of those competitons again. I've probably got all the names and stuff mixed up, but you you know what I mean.

Mark

Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I could never understand peoples fasination over celebs or players....
To me they are just spoiled people that think everyone owes them something....

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys are competitors and enjoy their lifestyle. I cant blame a team who wants to protect its investment. To lose a player based on off field actions would be money lost and talent wasted. The players are grown men who can choose to do what they want hopefully keeping their livelyhood in mind. I hope more take safety classes and wear propper gear to allow their enjoyment of life and have their future protected. Cool brush with fame.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

that is one large man

funny they look so little on TV

Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me they are just spoiled people that think everyone owes them something....
Have to agree with you there, fellow Jarhead. Saw the first post and thought "What a starf*cker." Here in NYC, you can't help but run into "celebs;" some are nice but too many are dysfunctional and frequently have that entitlement attitude, just like Obama.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Griff08fxdc
For some the "Celeb Buzz" takes them out of their own misery. They'd rather watch a train wreck like Lindsey Lohan or Anna Nicole Smith than deal with their own issues.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by firefighter616
that is one large man

funny they look so little on TV
Maybe you need a bigger TV.

Quick Reply: Only the well trained eye can tell the difference.