General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-75 Caution KY and OH

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
You get the roads that you pay for . . . .
Bad part is we do pay for them. You need a little salt, ice, and snow in long beach. Then your roads would look the same!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triple buzz
Don't worry, our new governor is going to fix everything!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

You guys are lightweights. I grew up in NYC & rode the Brooklyn-Queens expressway & the Cross-Bronx expressway regularly. Fortunately, most of the time the traffic was bumper-to-bumper on those roads, so you moved at 5 mph. Those roads were unsafe at ANY speed.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For some reason (I think my boss hates me); I always have to spend quite a bit of time up north during the winter. This year, early January I was in Detroit, middle January Cincinnati, then late January and most of February in the very northern part of North Dakota (talk about *** freezing cold!).

What I found is the roads in North Dakota were MUCH better than anywhereI had ever been in the northeast. Their winters are harsher and colder but the roads are better. I don't understand....... If they can keep the roads up, why can't other states?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in northeast ohio for 49 years. Potholes are a fact of life up there. Never really gonna be able to solve the problem as long as the freeze/thaw cycle continues. Here in SC, the roads are considerably better but not without fault. There are some dang rough roads around here too.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman
For some reason (I think my boss hates me); I always have to spend quite a bit of time up north during the winter. This year, early January I was in Detroit, middle January Cincinnati, then late January and most of February in the very northern part of North Dakota (talk about *** freezing cold!).

What I found is the roads in North Dakota were MUCH better than anywhereI had ever been in the northeast. Their winters are harsher and colder but the roads are better. I don't understand....... If they can keep the roads up, why can't other states?
Amount of traffic on the roads? Especially heavy like tractor trailers?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman

Waaaay up north, it freezes early, freezes hard, and stays frozen until it thaws. There may be a little see-sawing at either end of the season, but it's nothing like the freeze/thaw cycles in Iowa, or Illinois, or even Delaware.

The problems come when a little water under the road freezes and expands, forcing the road up and increasing the gap. Thaw, more water under road, more expansion, rinse and repeat. So it's actually worse for the roads when the temps go up and down above and below freezing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That makes sense. Being from SE GA I never thought about the temperature see-saw affect on roads. Learn something new everyday!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 AM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife is from there and we go up all the time. I rode there once and the roads were so bad that the seems in the freeway are raised like speed bumps. I hit one so hard I thought I was going to come off my bike. For the pot holes, they seemed to be where the lines are so you need to look way a head and decide if it is safe to change lanes. So now I have to watch for the soccer mom on her cell phone, but the unsafe roads in Cincinnati. Fun times! I just hope they fix the damm roads there by the time I retire.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

True dickey, teh BQE is only safe for an M1 tank. Most of the roads in NYC same way. We have good roads in Fla, no winter heaving helps alot.

Originally Posted by dickey
You guys are lightweights. I grew up in NYC & rode the Brooklyn-Queens expressway & the Cross-Bronx expressway regularly. Fortunately, most of the time the traffic was bumper-to-bumper on those roads, so you moved at 5 mph. Those roads were unsafe at ANY speed.

Quick Reply: I-75 Caution KY and OH