General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Girly bike VS terminator's bike. Hmmm, let me think about it...

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my Brothers has an 03 Fatboy and a 11 Heritage Classic, I can ride them when ever I want but that isn't too often because my Fatbob is a better riding bike for me. Tha Fatboy is a nice bike but it just isn't my style.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
hellboyrich
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW,I went from a Electra-Glide to a Dyna( for financial reasons) and now I don't regret it.I have had lots of softails,and the Dyna's handle better and are easier to do wheelies on! Actually,I never could wheelie any of my softails,they just spin the tire.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Better of the two.
Dyna riders will say Dyna's
Softail riders will say Softails.

Can't put all ST's in the same class.
IMO the FX's Ive rode ain't close to the FL's for comfort for this old body. Rode the sons Deuce and NT and I wouldn't even think of buying one.

I've Ridden RK's and Street Glide and IMO I don't think either is any better riding and dont fit ergo as far as the (bars and seat) as good as our Heritage. I do like the looks of the Street-Glide

So its all what feels right for U and what appeals to U..

If Ur young and have a good back, forward controls and bars that are short may not hurt U. but for most older riders and those who ride all day U'll love floorboards and bars that fit Ur ego wise..

Even the son who is in really good shape, when he had the 07 Deuce and 09 NT could only ride 2-3 hrs, then he was in pain.
He loves to ride, so instead of spending a couple $K's changing out the seat, bars, and controls.
He now has a 10 Street Glide,, and loves it, and he can ride all day without any pain.

Lots of younger riders buys a bike mostly for looks then finds out yeppers they look good but can't ride them very long at a time without killing the back and shoulders.

Ive never rode a dyna so I can't really compare, but a FB or LUX or Heritage, All (ST's-FL's) IMO would have a great ride.

Last edited by oct1949; 03-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a Overweight friend named Robert...and we call him Fat Bob....Not sure it that helps.....

Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Any Dyna is better riding, handling, performing than any soft tail. The Fat Bob is a great motorcycle.
I wonder what kind of bike you have, if any?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM
zird00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to fan the flames but I tend to agree that most Dynas handle way better than most softails. However, the two bikes are built for different purposes. The softail is a nice bike, very comfy, (even with the FX front end) and is really a true cruiser. IMO the Dyna is built to cruise and to take on the twisties and such. There seem to be a lot more accessories to pretty up softails (chrome and so on). While there are plenty of options for Dynas, you will be limited.

On a personal note I have always loved the Fat Boy. It is an amazing Harley. When I went shopping I was certain this was the bike for me. However, when you sit on the bike and ride it THAT is when you well really know. I didn't quite feel right on an FL softail. The Fat Bob just "felt right" to me. Pick the bike that suits your needs and riding style.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:05 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Like the others have said, it just depends on what feels good to you. I love my Fatboy and have over 87K miles on the bike. I don't commute to work, so all the miles are pleasure rides and long trips. I like the feel of the bike on the road!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ok here is my 2 cents worth...I have had a 2000 softail standard, a 2008 dyna streetbob, a 1993 sportster. and now have a 2011roadking classic....they are all different riding...sportster was just plain fun handling although somewhat stiff..the softail standard was a great handling bike that was fast and good in the curves/turns..the dyna streetbob was fast but didn't handle worth a damn (much looser in the curves than either the softail or the sportster) ...the roadking is a great all around bike, but it is like comparing a Cadillac to a vw, so there is no comparison with it and the other bikes...with all that said, you need to know that I am 6'1' and 150lbs.....and because I am a light weight (compared to most harley riders) the bikes handle differently than they would with more weight on them....I attribute the better handling of the softail and sportster to the fact their motors are solid mounted to the frames making the frame more rigid in the curves etc. (the newer sportsters are not solid mounted so I can't speak about them)...

Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
Girly bike VS terminator's bike. Hmmm, let me think about it...
I wouldn't necessarily call a Dyna a Girly bike, but if that's what you think, it's OK with me!

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Bob