General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Bike to the Dealer Monday

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took My Bike to the Dealer Monday

I set up an appointment with the dealer to drop my bike off to have a painted inner fairing installed. They told me that they would have it ready by Thursday, which I had no problem with because I had to be out of town for work. Thursday comes around and no call that the work was completed. I called them right before closing, and they told me it would not be done until the middle of next week. I was less than happy. I called an Indie that I use for other things and asked him if he would do the install. He told me he would, but was a little slow in agreeing to it, and I could tell that it was not his favorite thing to do, so I told him let me call them back and see when they will have it done.

I called the dealer and they told me that they had not even started on it. I told them fine, leave it alone and I will pick the bike up on Saturday morning since I have a ride planned with some friends on Sunday, and that I would take it tothe Indie. They told me they thought that they could have it done by Saturday. I called them back and they told me that it would be completed by Saturday at lunch.

I don't understand why you can tell someone that they will get something done by a specific date, and then not even start on it by then? Why do I have to threaten to take it to an Indie to get the work done? I would have gone directly to the indie first, and even offered the work to him first, but I also have a 10% discount card as well as a $25 gift card to the dealer that I had won. It would have cost me a little more for the Indie to do work.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

DIY - Saves time and money.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's only a few hours to install it. Any decent tech should easily have it done in one day.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

kind of stuff pisses me off. one time I dropped the bike off in the morning for a rear tire. they said it would be done around noon. I called back at 11:30, they said it won't be done until tomorrow. I drove 30 mile and got picked up by someone from work. How was I gonna get home. I told them to skip it and I would be right over. They had it done by 5. f'n jerks. Never got another tire from HD dealer.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Because you have continually allowed this person to repeatedly renege on his promises (or estimates), he now figures you're OK w/ that kind of performance. Perhaps there is someone higher-up with whom you could clear this up. Otherwise be firm in stating what you expect and when you will pickup, ready or not. And initiate whatever communication is required, email, phone, fax, text...Ask for whatever reply you need. Be the big guy in seeing to it that people follow through on their commitments to you. Take responsibility for getting your own needs met, including finding other sources when even their 2nd chance didn't pan out.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 PM
sandsucker
Tourer

This is my first Harley and it is the worst consumer experience of my life. I was treated like crap at 4 dealers(Nor Cal. area). After having my bike serviced the bike had 20 miles on it from when I dropped it off and the clutch was way out of adjustment. Now I have a trans oil leak (5,000 miles) and I'm afraid to bring in but of coarse will have to for it to covered by warranty.
But I love the bike and am riding my dream.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it always blows me away when guys try and same 25 buckes on a machine thats worth thousands, go with who does the work , stop being a big baby

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,469 Likes on 8,445 Posts

Yeah, I hate that kinda crap. Probley wanted to work thru the "higher paying" jobs before getting to you.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

I agree in that I would pay a little extra to have work done right and in a timely fashion. It's called quality (meeting customer's expectations or requirements)...

Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
it always blows me away when guys try and same 25 buckes on a machine thats worth thousands, go with who does the work , stop being a big baby
Don't tihink I am being big baby. LOL I offered the work to the Indie that I use most of the time for work. He said he could do it, but really did not want to, said it was a pain, but would do it if I really wanted him to. He wouldn't give me a price. I went to the dealer because they gave me a set price which I would have then received 10% off of and the additional $25. The timing was going to be good since I had to be out of town for work so I would not be riding.

I could do the work myself, I have always done all of my own maintenance, but I am also going through chemo, and don't always feel well, so when I do I prefer to ride. The cost of doing the work is not the concern, quality of life is.

I just have a problem when someone says that they will do something and then do not. I have had this type of problem with the dealer before. I told them if they had not started the work that I would pick it up and take it to the indie. I called them back later today and they told me it will be done in the morning.

Quick Reply: Took My Bike to the Dealer Monday