General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Bike to the Dealer Monday

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
There are two main reasons for what essentially amounts to a lack of competence from Motorcycle Dealership Service Departments:
First, Most dealers divide the dealership into three separate businesses, both financially and literally. Sales, Parts and Service. To many Dealers the Service Business is not their focus. This is because, for the amount of resources (money and time) it consumes, it is the least profitable of the three. As a result the Service Business is funded the least and staffed with the lowest cost minimally competent people. There are exceptions, but this tends to be the generally accepted way of running a Motorcycle or Car dealership.
Second: Even here in southern California; Motorcycle Service tends to be a seasonal business. The number of technicians you need in the spring and summer isn't what is needed in the late fall and winter. So you have to ask yourself; Self? What sort of a mechanic do you think you can get who will only work for 6 - 8 months out of the year . . . year after year after year?
Fantastic conjecture!

One could assume there are good and bad Harley mechanics wherever you live, working at dealers and independent shops. A look at a map should be enough to see there are some areas of this once-great country where Harley mechanics can stay busy more or less year-round, and others where it is obviously seasonal. But each area has its' good and bad mechanics competing w/ each other for whatever work is available, year after year.

Common sense should make us realize that parts-counter men and clothing salesgirls probably receive smaller wages than more extensively trained and specialized mechanics, most of whom are even required to provide their own tools. And knowledge of dealer-service hourly rates should hint at whether or not this area is potentially profitable. $300-400 for a service? $70-100/hour to R&R parts? Additionally dealers are held by Moco to much higher standards than many indy shops.

It is the service department through which dealers take in sometimes more than half again as much in upgrades as they grossed on selling the bike, to begin with. And it is the service department that continually brings customers back to spend money, after the initial sale. Additionally, riders buying high-markup clothing items, while waiting to pickup bike from service...for example.

Most times that a customer has a problem w/ service, one could trace that problem to being a communication problem, which is to say a management problem. Not incompetent mechanics. There are more cases of incompetent customers.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The problems always start with the statement " I took the bike to the dealer". that is why I never have and never will with the exception of a recall. Even though I have a very good dealer and service department.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

There is nothing wrong with taking a new bike to the dealer. If you have an issue, then dont walk, run to the owner. Advise him/her in a professional way you are not happy and would appreciate some resolution regarding this issue. I have yet to see any company that would snub their nose at a customer in this day and age. Having worked as a manager and being in the public's eyes most of my life I find a smile, eye to eye contact and strong hand shake will resolve most issues.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
...a smile, eye to eye contact and strong hand shake will resolve most issues.
I'll be w/ you if you please add to that: honesty and integrity.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get the bike back at .....1:30 pm. He apologized for it being delayed, that he got swamped back there. I let him know in no uncertain terms that I had made an appointment at their request and they told me a time that it would be done. I also let him know that it was unacceptable if someone else came in that had a higher paying job to put them in the front of the line. I can certainly understand if someone is on the road and has a brekdown and needs to get somewhere, but everyone else should make an appointment the same way that I did, and be put in order.

The bike does look great, and like I said before I do all of my own maintenance normally and use an Indy for other things that I cannot do, but the Indy was backed up and that work was not something that he is excited about doing. He would have done it if I pushed. I would have done the inner fairing replacement myself, but with going through chemo I get tired very easily, and I chose to spend the times when I feel good to do things like ride and spend time with my wife and kids. I do get satisfaction out of that type of work, but it becomes a choice when you only have so much time that you are feeling good.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Fantastic conjecture!

One could assume there are good and bad Harley mechanics wherever you live, working at dealers and independent shops. A look at a map should be enough to see there are some areas of this once-great country where Harley mechanics can stay busy more or less year-round, and others where it is obviously seasonal. But each area has its' good and bad mechanics competing w/ each other for whatever work is available, year after year.

Common sense should make us realize that parts-counter men and clothing salesgirls probably receive smaller wages than more extensively trained and specialized mechanics, most of whom are even required to provide their own tools. And knowledge of dealer-service hourly rates should hint at whether or not this area is potentially profitable. $300-400 for a service? $70-100/hour to R&R parts? Additionally dealers are held by Moco to much higher standards than many indy shops.

It is the service department through which dealers take in sometimes more than half again as much in upgrades as they grossed on selling the bike, to begin with. And it is the service department that continually brings customers back to spend money, after the initial sale. Additionally, riders buying high-markup clothing items, while waiting to pickup bike from service...for example.

Most times that a customer has a problem w/ service, one could trace that problem to being a communication problem, which is to say a management problem. Not incompetent mechanics. There are more cases of incompetent customers.
Again it is the dealer and, I believe, what he thinks of his customer, that matters. Bought a TP to fit my 08 RKC on ebay, talked to the local parts dept. beforehand. They said to go for it and we will help fitment. All I needed was the docking kit, like 50.00. Saved 400 over HD cost, but the dealer made $. They help because they know I will be back. Sales don't mean squat, service after makes people come back. Good dealers know that and treat customers like they are the most important people on earth. They are. So yeah you're right

Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually "bluehighway" and others... a successful car or motorcycle dealer will cover 120% of his total dealer overhead in the service department. That is, if he is doing it right, literally every expense that the dealer has in the entire dealership is paid for by the service department with 20% left over The rest... parts and retail sales (which includes bike sales) is all additional profit.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

It's called over-promise and under-deliver. Lots of dealers are experts at it. P*sses me off too.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I take mine to the dealer because he has good techs who get the service bulletins and continuing education that keeps them up to date and in turn keep my bike running in tip top form. I had a pretty good wreck with my last bike and the indy who repaired it jerked me around from day one. Told me he didn't have the tins from the painter and the painter said they were done 30 days prior to that. Finall had to go to the indy and tell him I was coming to get the bike in pieves or completed and if not completed he needed to have lots of cash for me. My screw up was paying him upfront for the job.

Never had any issues with the dealer I use. The parts and service folks call me by name. can't ask for any better than that. I could do the work myself, I have that ability but I take it to a pro. I don't do my own dental work or act as my own physician either, I use a pro.

PS I don't work for a dealer

Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2 cents for what's it worth.

I have a maintenance contract as part of the deal on my current bike. When I need a service I make a point of going into the dealer...as opposed to calling on the phone, and making an appointment at least a week ahead of time, being sure to ask that they have open slots and I make the time for the work first thing in the morning...so I am not running into someone else's "service that turned into more than service" issues. I also tell them I will be waiting on the bike! In other words...I am not dropping it off, I will be sitting there while they do the work. I figure there are worse things than killing a few hours at an HD dealership.

I also made it a point to get to know the service manager VERY well. Enough so that he and I will BS a little whenever I happen to be in the dealership. When the bike is in for maintenance it is pretty easy to slip "yeah I am in here having the bike serviced" into the conversation. Usually it gets done pretty quickly.

I agree that if you make an appointment...and have an expectation of when the thing will be done...then that should be the deal. I understand if I took my bike in and they found something that I didn't expect and needed to do more work on it...that would be a different story, but to give a commitment and not keep it because "they had some time to play with", not a chance.

Last edited by SlowRain; 03-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Took My Bike to the Dealer Monday