General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Rush Baffle Sizes Not For The Faint Of Heart

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Switching Rush Baffle Sizes Not For The Faint Of Heart

Just switched out the Baffles in my Rush Slip-Ons from 1 3/4" to 2". Holy crap what a job!

I thought, no big deal, I can switch them out without even removing the Mufflers from the bike. Just remove the Lock Screw and slide the old Baffles out. Not a chance, those bad boys wouldn't budge even with a home made Slide Hammer.

Removed the Mufflers from the bike, clamped them down in my Vise (Rubber Jaws). I thought I had things figured out now. I ran a pipe in from the clamp side of the Muffler up against the welded-in rod and tapped with a hammer.

Got the old Baffle out of the Muffler about 3" before the Fiberglass mat got jammed up and I was no longer making any progress. Then the little Welded Rod broke

Had to use a pair of needle nose Pliers to pull out as much of the fiberglass as I could and then used a hammer against a Large pair of Channel Locks to get them the rest of the way out.

Just wanted everyone to know what kind of job this is if you're thinking about switching Baffles.

Damn glad that project is done.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya! Same boat one time. Skip the dickin around. I got an 8lb sledge and 4 foot length of 1 inch pipe. Still had to beat the crap out of it!

Good job! It's done, crack a beer!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Went thru the same thing, except I add fiberglass, so they went in as hard as they came out. Did not make a heck of a lot of difference in the sound tho, was looking to quiet them down a little. Well guess I succeeded cuz they did quiet a little, (damn little that is). Still like them tho, nice sound

Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 PM
jandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I repacked mine I went for a ride first and got em hot!!.......Pulled apart with no problem!

Attached Thumbnails Switching Rush Baffle Sizes Not For The Faint Of Heart-baffle.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

How many miles were on the pipes. I tried to change baffles on some Rushes with over 20.000 miles.....their still in there. I think a guy should unbolt and drap them out every couple thousand miles to keep the carbon from freezing them in.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
axel black
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was the price diff between the 2" baffle compare to the 2" baffle slip on?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over time the carbon build up makes 'em harder to remove. But I think it makes 'em louder in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

"I'm with ya! Same boat one time. Skip the dickin around. I got an 8lb sledge and 4 foot length of 1 inch pipe. Still had to beat the crap out of it!

Good job! It's done, crack a beer!"

Glad to hear I'm not alone !

"Went thru the same thing, except I add fiberglass, so they went in as hard as they came out. Did not make a heck of a lot of difference in the sound tho, was looking to quiet them down a little. Well guess I succeeded cuz they did quiet a little, (damn little that is). Still like them tho, nice sound"

Yea, I do like the sound, as much as a PITA it was, I guess it was worth it.

"When I repacked mine I went for a ride first and got em hot!!.......Pulled apart with no problem!"

Never thought of that, you would think that would make it worse though. Maybe the Muffler Shell expands more than the Baffle?

"How many miles were on the pipes. I tried to change baffles on some Rushes with over 20.000 miles.....their still in there. I think a guy should unbolt and drap them out every couple thousand miles to keep the carbon from freezing them in."

Actually bought the bike late last year so it only has about 1200 miles so far. I was thinking that the Baffles would come out pretty easy with the low mileage, but no such luck.

"what was the price diff between the 2" baffle compare to the 2" baffle slip on?"

Not sure I know what you mean, I already had the Mufflers, I just wanted to change Baffle size.

"Over time the carbon build up makes 'em harder to remove. But I think it makes 'em louder in my opinion."

That's the goofy thing, there really wasn't that much Carbon build up. I think what made it worse though was all the Fiberglass Matting getting bunched up.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I always see you theory on "will heat make it harder". but when I got a new set and wanted to change from 1.75 to 1.50, I was able to pull out the 1.75s but couldnt get the 1.50s in so did the heat and big easy difference.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had em with 2 inch baffles. Didn't like the sound so I pulled the baffles out and unwrapped em. Had no problems.

Still didn't like the sound.

Quick Reply: Switching Rush Baffle Sizes Not For The Faint Of Heart