General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for the Indiana Riders.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He'll have to have his permit for at least 30 days before he can get his endorsement, I know that much. ABATE offers classes all over the state, and some H-D dealers have the Riders Edge program. I know that Bloomington H-D has the learn to ride program, and a lot of guys come down from Indy for that course. I took it myself and had three guys in my class from Indy in it.

Tell him to get with Dallas Clark (Colts center), he's a big rider and might be able to help him out as well. Dallas is also on of the spokesmen for the Miracle Ride they have every year. Great ride in support of Riley Childrens Hospital.

I'd love to help him out, I'm only about an hour away from Indy, so if you all need anything, feel free to give me a shout!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pureevil71,

He told me that Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday and another lineman all have bikes. He showed up with a helmet size 5XL that he borrowed from a cousin who he said was bigger than him...DAMN. Since he probably can't walk into a dealership and buy "clothing off the rack", I gave him info for Bates and Langlitz Leathers where he can get something tailor made for his build. I also suggested he buy one of those kits from our sponsor here to move his floorboards out and give him more room. He also has HUGE feet so I told him to get an extended heel shifter.

Today we rode up the coast for lunch Duke Kahanamokus in Malibu. After lunch we did some canyon riding to practice counter steering and looking through curves. It was good practical experience as we had a truck back out of a driveway in front of us. Then another baptism by fire, a trip home on the dreaded LA Freeways 101 and 405 to experience car pool lanes and freeway traffic.

He'll do fine. He has ALL the skills needed to survive on the road, but he tends to ride conservatively. I actually prefer that for a newbie than being is too aggressive. All of that will come as he gets more miles in the saddle.

Mark

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry...it's not Dallas but Jeff that helps with the Miracle Ride...my bad!!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

All that personal instruction my bet is he is good-to-go! Did you work out a deal for Super Bowl tickets in Indy if the NFL/players get their heads together?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 AM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend he take the weekend course. It's pretty much a guaranteed pass for him with what you've said of his skill level so far. If I was in his shoes, I would be a little nervous taking the DMV test, knowing that failing the test is a bit more sudden.

Spending time with certified instructors couldn't hurt either

Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,333 Likes on 843 Posts

Honestly, it is too easy. I think they should toughen it, but that would only result in more unlicensed riders, most likely.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tortoise98
Honestly, it is too easy. I think they should toughen it, but that would only result in more unlicensed riders, most likely.
That's a good point. Back when I was an MSF Rider Coach it used to pain me to see folks barely pass the course and then believe that they are fully capable or riding on the street. Yet if they didn't take the course they would be out there anyway. While it's almost true that some training is better than none, it can also be detrimental. Just because someone has passed the MSF BRC it does not mean they are automatically ready for the road. The smart ones know it and practice. The others just jump on a bike ride off and endanger themselves and others.

At the end of the MSF BRC I used to say to all the graduates that the ONLY thing they are really certified to do is to ride a 200cc bike around tiny cones in an empty parking lot with no cars or pedestrians present under the watchful eye of a rider coach.

If it's too easy than everyone will pass. If it's too difficult folks will skip it and ride anyway. The best you can do is work with the weak riders and try and bring them along.

But i could be wrong.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Got mine 47 yrs ago.... wasn't any riding test then...