General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&S jack or lift table? Pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Default J&S jack or lift table? Pros and cons?

Looks like I'm finally about to buy a house with a nice garage. I'm looking at either a J&S jack or a lift table like one from Complete Hydraulics. If you could only have one, which would you go with? Is one particularly better for certain tasks? I like to do my own wrenching and don't want want to pick one and then wish I had chosen the other down the road.

I like the idea of having a nice lift table but it seems like a good jack like the J&S would provide better access to a lot of areas on the bike. Thoughts?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the lift table. Make sure you get one that secures the front tire. If your worried about getting to the underside of your bike you can always get a sissor jack with a wide footprint. You can get one from Harbor Frieght. I got my table from them about a year ago with a coupon that was in American Iron. Total cost out the door was less than 3 bills. The table is rated at 1200 lbs.
PH

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have both.
I bought the table first and even made a drain pan for it. Then I needed to remove a tire. Oops. no worky. Hence having both.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

I was wondering what the method was for servicing the forks/front wheel/tire with a table lift. I guess the answer is...you don't.

Last edited by Cousy; 03-16-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

If I could only have one, I'd much rather have a table.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and only use the lift. With the front tire clamped and the black jack scissor jack under the back of the frame, I can change the rear tire. By using tie downs on the back of the bike and the scissor jack under the front of the frame, I can change the front tire or remove the forks. Plus you never have to get on your knees.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roadking2000
If I could only have one, I'd much rather have a table.
Explaining why would be helpful.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
macfhionghuin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got both,since I got my table from Complete Hydraulics with the scissor jack,I never use the J&S jack.I can change both front and rear tires using the scissor jack and with a lift height of 33" no more bending over, so its easy access no matter what the task,great addition to the garage for both cleaning and service work.If I could only have one it would be a table lift.I've had the table from C H for 3years now with no problems very good quality,I use it at least 4 or 5 times a week.

Macfhionghuin

Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
hawghed
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the table lift for tires. Uses some boards and run the bike across the lift sideways the lift the lift up. UP goes the bike then drop your tires.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool J & s jack a winner!

Originally Posted by quickbiscuit
Looks like I'm finally about to buy a house with a nice garage. I'm looking at either a J&S jack or a lift table like one from Complete Hydraulics. If you could only have one, which would you go with? Is one particularly better for certain tasks? I like to do my own wrenching and don't want want to pick one and then wish I had chosen the other down the road.

I like the idea of having a nice lift table but it seems like a good jack like the J&S would provide better access to a lot of areas on the bike. Thoughts?
J&S x2. Outstanding Quality. Easy to work at all parts. Strong & sturdy. Need no xtra parts or tie straps. Search www & see their video. Wonderfull folks to deal with.

Quick Reply: J&S jack or lift table? Pros and cons?