General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&S jack or lift table? Pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by quickbiscuit
I was wondering what the method was for servicing the forks/front wheel/tire with a table lift. I guess the answer is...you don't.
Sure you can....once the bike is on the table and lifted to the height where your comfortable, use a scissor jack under the frame to lift the front tire high enough to clear it off the table

Old 03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that a lift with a scissors jack would be ideal, but my question is are you not giving up a chunk of the garage where a jack like J&S (I prefer the Pitbull personally as it picks the bike up an additional 7-9") allows you to move the bike around and takes up floor space?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. Great info. Glad to know there are some good ways to still service both wheels/tires with a table lift. I'm leaning towards a good table lift at this point. More money and takes up more space but I want to totally use one bay of the garage as a work area anyway. The place I'm looking at has a deep two car garage with a two car carport built on the front, so plenty of room to park the four-wheeled vehicles and still have room to work.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

I have the complete hydraulics lift, also the side extensions. Makes a great work surface for more than just the bike. It does take up more space than the jack.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

NO comparison, the lift table is far superior. If you have room for one, you will not regret it. I have the side extensions on mine, so it's great for working on the lawn tractor, the 4 wheeler, whatever you have that you would like to work on at eye level.
The best part is that, me having a horribly bad back, I can wheel around in a reclining office chair, and do most of my work right from the chair. How cool is that?
I roll the toolbox near the table, then do my wrenching sitting down at face level..

The only downside I see is that it takes up most of one entire bay in the barn, you need room to move around it, so it pretty fills the bay.

I would advise using tie down straps in addition the the front vise, dont' ask me why

Also make sure there is nothing under the life when you drop it,
And also NEVER walk away from the lift pedal until the lift has suscessfully
made it to the floor.........You might just need to stop it!!!
another don't ask story....yikes.

Ok, I'll tell that one, had my Eglide up on the lift, and went over to drop the lift with the floor pedal. Well, I dumped the pedal, step back, then realised there was a small rolling mechanic's chair wedged under the front left side of the lift, just hidden where I couldn't see it when I dropped the lift.
I saw the lift start to go sideways, then the bike was going on it's side quickly, with NO straps on it... It was hard to get to the pedal where it was, because the bike was leaning so far to that side, I had to jam myself between the bike, and the cabinets, in an attempt to keep it from going over sideways, all while trying to find the damn pedal with my foot..
The bike and the table ended up at a 45 sideways with me now jammed in between the bike and the cabinets, I mean I had most of the bikes weight against me... I was trapped there!

First thought was the bike the was going to fall on me and take me down with it, but amazingly enough, it just sat there at a 45 degree sidewards angle,. and only held in place by the vise on the front tire...
I was able to get myself untrapped, and the bike just sat there almost over on it's side. Wish I had taken a picture! I had no idea the table would continue to drop on one side when the other was jammed up with the chair.
They will do that, so be careful.

After getting out from under the bike, I pushed the pedal in an attempt to bring it back up, and it the lift groaned, and finally started to bring it back up to level again, WHEW!!!

Sorry for the long post, but thought a warning was advised.

LOOK all around the lift before dropping it, and NEVER walk alway from the pedal once it starts to go down!! I know this is all common sense, but sometimes we just don't use when something happens like this...duh..
I still forget to use the straps sometime...

Oh, the chair that was jammed under the lift was all bent up..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both Table & Jack and if I were to have only one it would be the table!

As for a table taking up more space for me it doesn't.... We have 3 bikes + MC travel trailer on the motorcycle side of our garage...I just park which ever bike is mainly not being ridden on the table..

This is the lift I have http://www.completehydraulic.com/lif...cle-tcmlw.html

Last edited by Mntsnow; 03-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.