General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did the search But I need Oil Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:12 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the search But I need Oil Help

EDIT //update and a bit more help

OK I did the oil and NOW I am thinking of how often I would like to do it
Now somewhere on here I read of buying filters for 3 to 5 dollars and good ones no bull ****
so if you would tell me where or what to cross reference too
and to all who go to the Dealers I have no qualms to each his/her own

Original

This is what I read
https://www.hdforums.com/m_90525/tm.htm
and its like 8 pages and I still don't really get it ??

THIS is what I need
I'll go with Mobil 1 But What #1
Is it V 20/50 ......15 //50 what is rt for me what do I need ??? Input???
06 heritage 3000 miles and HD did the first Change @1000 mi.
I need to know this also, when I make this change to M1 synthetic.
Do I need to remove all of the old Oil ( like a SCAVENGER system)
I don't have this thing and I want to do it tomorrow
Can I do a make shift one or What ???
Or am I just losing it doing to much thinking and just pull the plug the filter and replace the oil and filter and crank her up
I'm thinking HD oil and the M1 Syn my not mix well and if so how do you get it all out
Thanks
Tom in Term-oil

I will do Amsoil for the next change
M1 is just eazy to get right now and I want to change it before I turn another 2 or 2 K on it

Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 AM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I did the search But I need Help Oil Change

All I can tell you is I pulled my hair out for three days reading up and trying to figure out what oil to use. Mobile1 vtwin great oil...hard to find, same with the amsoil. I bought royal purple then heard bad things about it so I took it back. Ended up going to the stealer and buying syn3 for the engine and primary. Harley recommends it and its easy to find and just as cheap as the others. Found a local dealer that sells redline heavy for the transmission. Don't switch brands alot. Find one oil that you're going to use and use it and nothing else.

As far as the scavenging system....bunch of hoopla. 6-8 ounces of old oil in your sump is not going to harm your motor.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:46 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

When I went from HD dino to synthetic I did not remove all the old oil with a scavenger type system. What little is in there isn't going to hurt. I run Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 in my crank, I can get it at Autozone or Advance Auto locally. I run Amsoil SVG 75/90 in the tranny which I can also get locally. I run HD Formula + in the primary which obviously I can get at local HD.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:20 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Either of those oils will be fine. My understanding is that the V-twin has less anti-friction additives than does the M-1 15W50, so it doesn't cause any wet clutch slippage issues. If you just use regular M-1 in the crank case, that's not a concern. Search around and you may find one of the analysis posts or links.

I use the M-1 15W50 in my crankcase, as it's cheaper and easier for me to find than the V-2. I also believe the additive package is better than the V-2 oil for engine use only.

As far as switching over, just drain it and fill it. All will be well.

PS: Oil topics tend to raise emotions for some reason. If this thread grows, keep your sense of humor.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:38 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Either 15/50 or 20/50 is good, and like the others said, just drain it regularly.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I did the search But I need Oil Help

Well,.... I was trying to decide that same thing myself not too long ago. You can also find Mobil1 vtwin 20w50 in the lil motorcycle section at your walmart. I had already been using Mobil1 v-twin 20w50 in my engine and primary and was using Mobil1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil, from Autozone, in the tranny after my 1000 mile service. My results on this issue was most everyone said the Mobil1 vtwin 20w50 was great for the engine and some said dont use it in the primary and some said dont put it in the tranny and some said it would be great in the primary. Well,... after reading a new label on the front of the mobil1 20w50 bottle which said for engine, primary and transmission of air cooled v-twins, I decided to go back with the Mobil1 products. I figure Mobil1 has done enough research to know if their engine will harm our engines or not. I put the 20w50 in the engine and primary again and the 75w90 back in the tranny.
And No, you dont have to worry about removing every bit of oil thats in there when you go synthetic. The only downside to the Mobil1 is that its pretty pricey, but I think of it as insurance to adding more years to my bikes engine life. Then again, I also dont wait as long to change my primary and tranny fluids as per the manuel. I change all three every 3500 miles, and just the fluids and filter will cost ya about $60.00, but I think they are worth it.

John

Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser

I trust my HD dealer. They will tell you the recommended product for the model and year. I had no problem. It also gives you an excuse to visit and just browse around and see bikes etc.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

This is a subject that comes up often, and there's always a lot of controversy. The biggest argument is always dino vs. synthetic. You've already made that decision, so we'll move on.

If you've chosen a synthetic, you want to it meet a few simple requirements. First, it should be a full synthetic, not a synthetic/dino blend. That's a very short list: Mobile 1, Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil. I don't think there's any others. IMO, the performance differances in these is very small. Any/all are good. Notice that Syn3 is not on that list.

Second, you want it to be easily available. When you travel and spring a rocker box leak, you want to be able to keep the oil level up.

Third, it should inexpensive (a relative term). $8-10 a qt is a little much, IMO.

I've been using Mobile 1 15W-50 in my Harleys for the last 10 years. Change it every 5K miles. Switched to it in my new bike at 1K miles. I use Mobile 1 in my other vehicles, too.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trusting the stealer would be in your best interest... Why would you trust a corporation that sells everything at msrp and above?? They are only worried about one thing... the bottom line and stock holders.Name:  moneycounting.gif
Views: 44
Size:  14.3 KB
ORIGINAL: Dancemax

I trust my HD dealer. They will tell you the recommended product for the model and year. I had no problem. It also gives you an excuse to visit and just browse around and see bikes etc.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:30 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

Not trusting the stealer would be in your best interest... Why would you trust a corporation that sells everything at msrp and above?? They are only worried about one thing... the bottom line and stock holders.
ORIGINAL: Dancemax

I trust my dealer and have for over thirty years. Why put synthetic oil in the crankcase when you are going to change it every 2500 to 5000 miles? Does not make sense for normal driving. I have put around 200,000 miles on Harleys using HD oils and have never had to tear down an engine. Syn is good, but why bother.

Quick Reply: I did the search But I need Oil Help