General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

The local Victory dealer had the demo fleet there this weekend. I rode three Victory bikes just for fun.

Victory Cross Country: Lots of power, but that's expected comparing my 88 to their 106. The brakes were superior to mine hands down. Other than that it was nothing special. I expected it to be sewing machine smooth, since that is often a complaint of new or non-Harley riders...It wasn't. The drivetrain is every bit as loud as mine and I have gear driven cams. The ride quality is good but not extraordinarily better than my
'05 EGC. In fact, after climbing back on board my rubber mount EGC, I was surprised at how much smoother the ride is on my "old" bike. I "think" the Victory engine is counter-balanced and hard mounted, so that may explain that.

Victory High Ball: It has ape hangers and I've never ridden a bike equipped with them. No windshield either. Bike looks good, but I found it uncomfortable because of the bars and lack of shield...wouldn't have mattered who built it. But, it is lighter than the Cross Country and that 106 engine MOVES.

Cross Country/Lehman trike: Never rode a trike. It is a totally different experience. The "shakyness" of the two-wheeled Cross Country was just amplified with the trike. If I ever get where 2 wheels is too difficult, I'll trike my current bike or get a sidecar.

I expected to walk away feeling like I was riding a relic. Instead, I felt that my "old" 2005 holds up well against the competitions 2011 model.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 738 Posts

The local Victory dealer doesn't give test rides on his bikes just like the Honda dealer. I don't know how they expect to sell them but it seems they do. I was at the demo day for Vic last year it was a clown circus. They had everyone grab a bike and line up to go out single file. I saw bikes so bunched up they couldn't help but hit each other. And they wondered why I didn't take one for a ride.
Totally unlike my HD dealer that makes a copy of your license, hands you the keys, telling you to take your time and enjoy the ride.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

victory,, as in NAACP BBt's

Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested out a Victory Vegas when they came through here, I will admit that the performance was good, handling in the twisties was good, outside of that the foot controls were horrible, exhaust left alot to be desired and way to much plastic and didn't think the looks of the victories would ever appeal to me. Was glad to hop on my softail when it was over. Have since picked up a Street glide and never considered a victory for my next bike.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE I just noticed Victory is offering to give you $100 if you test drive one of their bikes and then buy a similar model from a competitor like Harley. Seems like a no loose situation for the buyer. .[/QUOTE]

yeah butt what if someone sees you !!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by lunitunez
I heard Victory bikes is a good smooth ride and they starting to look futuristic. It good for people thats looking for a change. But real Harley Davidsons mark there territory (drips oil) like a dog **** on a tree. HD or nothing. But dont get me wrong I will test drive a Victory and use that $100 toward a Harley.lol
So enlighten us o'learned one just what is a REAL H-D? So you mean to say its real if it drips oil? Dam* I better go lossen some bolts... I would'nt want to be seen on a un-real Harley!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,196 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by lunitunez
I heard Victory bikes is a good smooth ride and they starting to look futuristic. It good for people thats looking for a change. But real Harley Davidsons mark there territory (drips oil) like a dog **** on a tree. HD or nothing. But dont get me wrong I will test drive a Victory and use that $100 toward a Harley.lol
Some of us Harley owners even passed English/grammar class....and know that the correct way to say "mark there territory" is "mark THEIR territory".

"there" is a direction, location, or existence of something
"their" is the correct one for your sentence, as your sentence warrants a possessive adjective...indicating that some noun belongs to them.

My garage floor (including where I park my Harley) only has oil marks from where I've dripped old oil when performing oil changes...my own clumsiness.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
I actually rode the Victory Cross Country because of all the specs. The specs are great but I bought an Ultra Limited and there is NO comparison in the ride of an Ultra and the Cross Country. I am so happy with my FLHTK. It is smoother and much more maneuverable than the Cross Country was for me. The design of the Cross Country gave me a feeling of scooter instead of motorcycle but that's just my take. I know other riders and other body types (sizes) may appreciate the Cross Country, but I'm happy with my decision.
As you should be!!!!! Nice choice.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't get into the styling of the Victorys. Honestly, I think just about any of the metric cruisers look better than pretty much all of the Victorys, and all Harleys look better than any of the metrics. So it really wouldn't matter how good the performance was, I have to like the way my bike looks. And since no cruiser out there outperforms Harleys to any significant degree, it's a no brainer!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

If I was in the market I'd test the Vic, then go buy the Harley and collect my $100.

Quick Reply: Buying a new Harley?