General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D CEO $6.4 Million

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011 | 11:52 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Why should the OWNERS of HD not be able to pay their CEO anything they want to? If you are a stockholder and you think his pay is too high, you can make your voice heard.

Bwahaha! Good one. Only majority owners (usually insiders) count, because their shares outnumber the public's shares.

Problem lies within the ability to recruit a guy with a track record, possibly incourage him to resign from his current spot. You have to pay, or look elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2011 | 11:56 AM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjones
You dont no jack **** about unions !!! Your prolly someone in management that thrives to see middle class workers struggle. Thank the unions cause u got the weekend off . And thank me cause im a UNION lineman keeping your lights on. SCAB

I think about the scorn that is so obvious in posts just like this, every single time I read about small and middle-sized companied going under because they were throttled by a worker's union. Then I ALMOST feel a little sad for the workers who are now out of a job, but it passes quickly.

Old 03-16-2011 | 12:16 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Bwahaha! Good one. Only majority owners (usually insiders) count, because their shares outnumber the public's shares.

Problem lies within the ability to recruit a guy with a track record, possibly incourage him to resign from his current spot. You have to pay, or look elsewhere.
BWAHAHA yourself.

As I said, that's probably not the way some will remember it being done in Cuba, but that is the capitalist way.

You see "insiders", others see "the majority." Directors are elected by majority vote. If I vote 100 shares, I get 100 votes. If 101 people with 1 share each vote for someone else, my guy loses. If you feel that the opinion of the person with 1 share should have equal or superior weight to the opinion of the person with 100 shares: again, that's not the way we do it here.

BTW, unlike some companies where the unions have been bailed out by Obama, the "public" doesn't own any shares in HD unless they are purchased on behalf of a government pension plan.

By the "public" you apparently mean the numerous small shareholders. As individuals they own far fewer shares than the "insiders." However, as a group they own more. They can still make their voice heard. The capitalist system still works. I can understand if that doesn't suit your POV. I'm told direct flights from Canada to Havana are still available.

Old 03-16-2011 | 12:36 PM
GeezerDude
Cruiser

Facts are helpful in discussions ...

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/releases.cfm

The Company's financial services unit, Harley-Davidson Financial Services, was a key contributor to 2010 earnings, with operating income from financial services of $181.9 million for the full year, including $43.5 million in the fourth quarter. Operating income from motorcycles and related products was $378.8 million for the full year, including an operating loss of $6.8 million in the fourth quarter.
That really boggles the mind given the current state of the economy that the financial services unit would be doing so well.

Old 03-16-2011 | 01:14 PM
mjones
Cruiser

I think about the scorn that is so obvious

I think about the scorn that is so obvious in posts just like this, every single time I read about small and middle-sized companied going under because they were throttled by a worker's union. Then I ALMOST feel a little sad for the workers who are now out of a job, but it passes quickly.

Typical f-ing rat

Old 03-16-2011 | 01:23 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

I think about the scorn that is so obvious

Typical f-ing rat

Old 03-16-2011 | 02:31 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

You dont no jack **** about unions !!! Your prolly someone in management that thrives to see middle class workers struggle. Thank the unions cause u got the weekend off . And thank me cause im a UNION lineman keeping your lights on. SCAB
Apparently being in a union didn't teach you how to spell correctly. Maybe you should have used your union dues to pay for college classes.

Old 03-16-2011 | 02:34 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Typical f-ing rat
Typical union guy drinking the union Kool-Aid.

Old 03-16-2011 | 03:29 PM
hawghed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Panthers65
Lotsa liberal BS in this thread...

Sure he could have done the same job for less, he could have done the same job for nothing, thats not worth it to him.

The fact is I'll be damned if there is one person on this board who knows what it's like to manage thousands of employees, billions of dollars, and a global business. Ever seen pictures of the presidents when the enter office as opposed to when they leave, they look like hell!

These types of jobs deteriorate your health and shave years off your life. He busted his ***, made it through school, and pushed himself to have the ability to handle all that. Yea I made it through college too, it probably resulted in me getting the job I have now, and will help me move on the better jobs in the future. He MADE himself more valuable then the average worker, and therefor he'll do this job for that money.

Unions are organized crippling machines. As opposed to the CEO, they didn't bust their ***, they didn't push themselves to be above average, yet they want to be paid more than their job is worth. $25 an hour to the janitor because he's part of the Union, $25 an hour to the guy that puts the seats on because he's part of the Union when there are people out of work who would gladly do it for half. Go a head and tell me who is responsible for all those other employees getting laid off....

The CEO's salary is an example of a free market. He and the BOD negotiated and came up with a figure that both were satisfied with. If they didn't offer him enough, he would have left and they would have hired someone else. The union, on the other hand, either gets what they want or they shut the company down, no hiring someone else, and no making cuts.

I can be up all day then get called at midnight to run a train 200 miles with 2 hrs rest. I'm on call 24/7 and have to work in rain,snow,heat or what ever mother nature throws at us. So who are you to tell us were not busting are a$$. No matter what you think the American worker does work and work's hard and deserves a fair shake. You nut jobs want all the money and want us workers to fall in line and just say yessss a master!! I hate to tell you THAT is North Korea not some workers wanting a small piece of the pie. This country and the middle class are in a car heading for a brick wall and were all fighting who sits where. I saw some where else a guy say's union's make company's close down. I'm sure you know but if you don't only 7% of the country is union and a lot of company's close down that never had a union on the property. But when your close minded and full of hate i guess you can find a way to blame anything on anybody.

Last edited by hawghed; 03-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2011 | 03:33 PM
mjones
Cruiser

Typical tea-bagger getting his news from fox.

Quick Reply: H-D CEO $6.4 Million