General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D CEO $6.4 Million

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:09 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

As I mentioned in the duplicate thread, that's $28.81 per motorcycle they sold in 2010.

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:28 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SouthernGuy8503
The boss/owner of a company is supposed to make the company money so isn't that just what he's supposed to do? So if all he did was do his job then everybody should get a performance bonus if they didn't f*ck up too much stuff. More money HD has left over the more money they can spend to make it better. So if they gave him a bigger bonus then that's less money to be put into the company.
You're the kind of guy everyone hates to have as a boss...

"What do you mean I should say job well done? You did your job. What more do you expect?"

Prime example. I spent a month and a half engineering a solution to make our mail server Disaster Recovery test go smooth and by the numbers. The day comes and our disaster recovery test goes just as smoothly as I knew it would, because of the effort that I put in. The day of the test our boss says, "That's it? It should have taken longer. You looked like you were in a race or something. Next time stretch it out." The reason it went so smoothly and quickly is because of the effort that was put into it BEFORE the actual test itself. People like that chap my ***.

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:31 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Their major loser was HDFS, ( Financial Services,) getting that under control, eliminating the under producing Beull line and renegotiating the massive union contracts is what he did, and HD needed. But I still question the 6.4 mil, Iacocca did it with Chrysler and took $1 a year to pull Chrysler out of it back in the 80's. What's one guy worth? Someone wouldn't have done it for say, a half a mil?
He got a dollar a year in SALARY, but got MASSIVE performance bonuses. Sounds to me like what this guy got paid was right in line with the result of Iococca's philosophy was.

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:33 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain

That is a lot of money for one person. I bet the next highest paid person doesn't even come close. Their best engineer probably made 250k.

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:34 AM
Panthers65
Tourer

Lotsa liberal BS in this thread...

Sure he could have done the same job for less, he could have done the same job for nothing, thats not worth it to him.

The fact is I'll be damned if there is one person on this board who knows what it's like to manage thousands of employees, billions of dollars, and a global business. Ever seen pictures of the presidents when the enter office as opposed to when they leave, they look like hell!

These types of jobs deteriorate your health and shave years off your life. He busted his ***, made it through school, and pushed himself to have the ability to handle all that. Yea I made it through college too, it probably resulted in me getting the job I have now, and will help me move on the better jobs in the future. He MADE himself more valuable then the average worker, and therefor he'll do this job for that money.

Unions are organized crippling machines. As opposed to the CEO, they didn't bust their ***, they didn't push themselves to be above average, yet they want to be paid more than their job is worth. $25 an hour to the janitor because he's part of the Union, $25 an hour to the guy that puts the seats on because he's part of the Union when there are people out of work who would gladly do it for half. Go a head and tell me who is responsible for all those other employees getting laid off....

The CEO's salary is an example of a free market. He and the BOD negotiated and came up with a figure that both were satisfied with. If they didn't offer him enough, he would have left and they would have hired someone else. The union, on the other hand, either gets what they want or they shut the company down, no hiring someone else, and no making cuts.

Old 03-16-2011 | 09:45 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SouthernGuy8503
The boss/owner of a company is supposed to make the company money so isn't that just what he's supposed to do? So if all he did was do his job then everybody should get a performance bonus if they didn't f*ck up too much stuff. More money HD has left over the more money they can spend to make it better. So if they gave him a bigger bonus then that's less money to be put into the company.

Why don't you do his job then?

Last edited by George C; 03-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2011 | 10:11 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL
That is a lot of money for one person. I bet the next highest paid person doesn't even come close. Their best engineer probably made 250k.
So? He earned it. You to can go to school and work your way up to CEO and make gobs of money. Its called the American way.

I say good for him. He made better life choices than you or I did. Well, maybe not better, but different. I could have went to bussiness school too, but did not want to do that kind of work. My choice. I knew my choice would not result in millions in pay. I could have went for the $$ as could have you.

That is the great thing about the good ol' USA. You want to make millions? Go for it. Its there for the taking.

And yes - I paid for my own school working 2 jobs and applying for every grant and scholarship out there.

Old 03-16-2011 | 11:10 AM
mjones
Cruiser

You dont no jack **** about unions !!! Your prolly someone in management that thrives to see middle class workers struggle. Thank the unions cause u got the weekend off . And thank me cause im a UNION lineman keeping your lights on. SCAB

Old 03-16-2011 | 11:21 AM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master

Originally Posted by ftanner
You're the kind of guy everyone hates to have as a boss...

"What do you mean I should say job well done? You did your job. What more do you expect?"

Prime example. I spent a month and a half engineering a solution to make our mail server Disaster Recovery test go smooth and by the numbers. The day comes and our disaster recovery test goes just as smoothly as I knew it would, because of the effort that I put in. The day of the test our boss says, "That's it? It should have taken longer. You looked like you were in a race or something. Next time stretch it out." The reason it went so smoothly and quickly is because of the effort that was put into it BEFORE the actual test itself. People like that chap my ***.
All I meant is that a boss, owner, CEO or whoever runs the company is supposed to figure out how to make the company money. I don't mean physically, I mean figure out better ways. If he made HD go from losing money to making money then isn't he just doing his job by making any changing inside of HD to make the money? So why should he get a big performance bonus just for doing his job? I also stated that if he gets a performance bonus for doing what he was supposed to do in the first place then everybody should get a performance bonus, meaning everybody from the offices down to the manufacturing line down to the HD dealers. I think you took it out of context trying to say I wouldn't appreciate my workers if I were a boss, think about it. If I wouldn't then why would I have said that everybody in HD should get a performance bonus since they all help the company make money. Reason I said "as long as they don't f*ck up too much" was meant the same way as a safety bonus, if you're not safe then you don't get a safety bonus, wouldn't give everybody a performance bonus if you keep making mistakes. I think it's fine if that was a one time performance bonus saying "good job on turning the company around", the company making that big of a turn around should be a good enough pat on the back because it's making money again and you keep your job.

But hell, me and my opinion is wrong yet again on here.

Originally Posted by George C
Why don't you do his job then?
I couldn't, according to everybody, I don't know anything and can't do anything right so I'd end up screwing up the company making it shut it's doors.

Last edited by SouthernGuy8503; 03-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2011 | 11:39 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Fortunately in our capitalist system the OWNERS of a business decide the pay of employees, including the CEO. Just as your boss (or the Federal Govt if you're making minimum wage) determines your pay, the owners of HD determine the CEO's pay as well.

Why should the OWNERS of HD not be able to pay their CEO anything they want to? If you are a stockholder and you think his pay is too high, you can make your voice heard.

However, unlike the government, in a business your voice is commensurate with the amount of the company you own. If you own 1 share your voice is a lot softer than the voice of the guy that owns 1 million shares. I know that doesn't sound fair, and I know that's not the way they do it in Cuba. However, we're relatively happy with the long term results of capitalism and don't want to change it.

Quick Reply: H-D CEO $6.4 Million