General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D CEO $6.4 Million

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011 | 07:57 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeMan
Any chance the jump in profits is based on economic conditioning increasing and would this not have happened regardless of who was at the helm? If so shouild this not be factor into the equation? Was the $55 million in losses in 2009 not at the peak of economic woes?
Thats just bunk, the guy is 1) cutting production to match sales and 2) cutting costs and restructuring the manufacturing process.

#1 will have short term effect and #2 will have a long term effect.

Both necessary to have a healthy Harley-Davidson, which we all want (including the workers)

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:13 PM
warrconn
Road Master

You don't see this nearly as much:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/604/93...19--Bonus.aspx

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:40 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Thats just bunk, the guy is 1) cutting production to match sales and 2) cutting costs and restructuring the manufacturing process.

#1 will have short term effect and #2 will have a long term effect.

Both necessary to have a healthy Harley-Davidson, which we all want (including the workers)
Bunk? Are you saying if we would have sunk into a depression the increase in profits would have still occurred? None of the increase in profits could be at all attributed to a more propserous economy? I'm going to have to google profits and look at the stock profits during the late 90s and early 00s when the stock market was going wild similar to what has been happening in 2010 in relation to late 2008/early 2009.

Guess I do not agree that the CEO is TOTALLY responsible for the increase in profits and the market has no realtionship in the rise. If this is the case and the CEO is totally responsible for 100% of the increase then shareholders got a bargain in his minute salary.

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:44 PM
epiphone
Novice
Default You are wrong

Originally Posted by hoethree
Pretty good for a guy who used to run a heating and airconditioning controls company. Betcha he's never ridden a motorcycle in his life.
Last year I personally meet Keith Wadell .Before cutting someone down you ought to meet him. Plus he does ride during Last years Ohio Hog Rally he rode with some other Harley reps and rode the some of the rallys routes.

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:47 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

Can you say proffit shareing? or maybe drop the price on the bikes?? I hope they reinvest in the company maybe the dreaded liquid cooled street glide will be born.lol I am glad they have righted the ship I hope for blue skys and smooth waters.

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeMan
Bunk? Are you saying if we would have sunk into a depression the increase in profits would have still occurred? None of the increase in profits could be at all attributed to a more propserous economy? I'm going to have to google profits and look at the stock profits during the late 90s and early 00s when the stock market was going wild similar to what has been happening in 2010 in relation to late 2008/early 2009.

Guess I do not agree that the CEO is TOTALLY responsible for the increase in profits and the market has no realtionship in the rise. If this is the case and the CEO is totally responsible for 100% of the increase then shareholders got a bargain in his minute salary.
They sold fewer bikes in 2010 than they did in 2009, I believe. He is the guy that ordered production cuts, aligned costs with production, and streamlined the production process. He got it done, period, it wasnt a friggin happy accident. Did he have help? Of course. Does the commanding officer of an aircraft carrier run the whole ship? No, but he makes the decisions, he motivates the people, and he is responsible

I suppose someone else could/would have done the same things he did, but they didnt, so he's the man.

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-15-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2011 | 09:01 PM
Rickl
Road Captain

Most CEO's earn their money. Many of us believe that they are overpaid, but is that more of a jealousy thing or ??? Few of us will ever be in the position to ever have to make those hard decisions and live with them not knowing when you make them if they are the right ones. I don't begrudge them for what they make as the pressure they live with on a daily basis is enormous. I don't believe for one second most CEO's are ok to see the ship go down on their watch, just the opposite is true. While most "workers" go home after 8 hours and disengage from work, the CEO can never turn it off, it is always there with no one else stepping in to pick up the slack.

Old 03-15-2011 | 09:21 PM
mjones
Cruiser

Just blame the unions. Typical right wing nut job

Old 03-15-2011 | 09:30 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

To be honest, I can't believe that is all they are paying him. The board better look again at his salary if they want to keep him.

6.4 million is nothing. Hell, a third string wide receiver for the KC Chiefs makes more than that.

Old 03-15-2011 | 09:33 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
One guy makes $6.4 million dollars plus per year, and some one soon will say how the union workers are sucking all the money away from the company. What about all the other non union managers and higher ups salaries? When people complain how much something costs, that's where they should start looking, Not at the guy on the line making $15 -$25 an hour. 10 workers combined in their lifetime, won't make what the CEO make in a year. just sayin.,,,
Those workers had the same opportunity when they were young .... stay in school ..... get an deducation .... apply themselves and work hard ..... then maybe THEY could be the CEO~!

Quick Reply: H-D CEO $6.4 Million